Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #1

Convertible top not covered under warranty

I just received a call from the dealer working on my vehicle and they are not going to cover the replacement of the convertible top that has a small crack starting to form. They are maintaining that the previous owners did not properly care for the window and seeing that I am the third owner I am simply SOL. The crack was not there when I purchased the vehicle two months ago and has only started to form in the last 2 weeks (yes, the weather has been quite nice the last 2 weeks). I have a 2002 S with 13k miles. Any advice? Am I SOL? Seems rough that despite the car still being covered under the manufacturers warranty I am limited due to how the previous owners took care of the vehicle.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #2

I think you're going to have to bite the bullet on this one. I have a 97 with an original top and it was treated well and no cracks whatsoever... they have a point. It's not a defect or failed part, but a worn part that wasn't cared for.

I say live with it for a while and then go with a glass top replacement from GAHH. Then you'll never have that cracking problem again, and it should help with resale if the potential buyer has done his homework.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #3

I will give Porsche props for this one. They continued to review my top replacement and offered $500 to help with the cost of a new top. I will gladly take it and purchase a top with the glass window instead of dealing with a plastic window that would've come with the top if Porsche covered it under warranty. :dance:

Yes, I know it is cheaper for Porsche but at the same time I would've ended up buying a top with a glass window anyway (because I hate having a mile long list of dos and donts for the plastic window) so I find this to be a win-win situation.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote