Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

Frunk release not working -- cause / repair?

An interesting issue has developed with the trunk release switches on the door frame of my 2002 Boxster...

During the winter, the front trunk release switch would occasionally activate without being touched -- I'd get out to shut the front trunk and, within a couple minutes, the switch would activate again and open the front trunk. It would stop misbehaving eventually, but now it refuses to work at all.

The rear trunk release switch still works, and I could still use the key fob to open both trunks.

Since the rear switch still works, I'm assuming it's not a fuse issue -- unless they're on different fuses.

Has anyone had this issue before and, if so, were you able to repair it yourself?

MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Had a very similar symptom. Found the switch by the seat was actually sticking in the up position after I cleaned that area and made it release just going over a bump or randomly. Almost unnoticeable. Had to push it down or back into neutral position.

If your key isn't telling it to open then it must be power getting to that solenoid that opens the lock. Has to be that switch. Power can't magically get past a switch that is open.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

Thanks Timco.

I've tried pushing the switch back down, but there's no movement - and the switch lifts up properly, but the trunk won't unlatch.

Based on the issue you had, could the reverse be occurring (electricity not making it through / solenoid stuck in the "down" position)?

Were you able to fix your problem yourself, or did you have to take it into the shop?
MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

I cleaned under the edge of the switch and it seems to rock freely now. I just pay attention when I use it or wipe that area.

You could try lube on the latch to make sure it latches, but if it clicks shut it seems the switch has an issue. Maybe remove that trim and take the leads off the switch and try shunting it manually and keep them apart and see if it still acts up.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Garage
If you can open the frunk with the fob it almost has to be the switch is bad. Open the frunk and pull back the carpet near the drivers side headlight. You should be able to see the actuator. Disconnect the actuator and use a multimeter to see if you get voltage when toggling the switch. Do the same with the fob. If you get voltage with the fob and not the switch you know the switch is bad.

ELoomis is offline   Reply With Quote