986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Ever stall? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/57763-ever-stall.html)

njbray 06-29-2015 12:34 PM

Ever stall?

Just wondering how many people unintentionally stall their Porsche (obviously sticks only).
I have driven sticks all my life but still occasionally stall the Boxster. Not sure why but it seems an easy car to stall - and I hate the noise it makes when I do!
Sometimes I try soo hard not to stall I smell burning clutch!

Fintro11 06-29-2015 01:01 PM

Maybe once in a blue moon, we have some very steep hills here lol

BIGJake111 06-29-2015 01:07 PM

I stalled quite a few times since I learned stick in my boxster.

I haven't stalled in months though.

Once I "got it" I stalled maybe 3 times in the following few months and haven't since.

I have left the e break on a few times though...

rick3000 06-29-2015 02:19 PM

Maybe once a year, or less, primarily from not paying attention. I have only stalled on a hill once, because I normally rev up too much in that situation.

schnellman 06-29-2015 02:43 PM

Lots experience with a standard transmission -- from sports cars to heavy trucks. But, I still stall the Box about once a year.

clickman 06-29-2015 02:56 PM

This poll needs the "once in a blue moon" option.

BoxsterSteve 06-29-2015 03:00 PM

Occasionally... currently it is the only manual shift vehicle in the fleet.

steved0x 06-29-2015 05:01 PM

I picked "occasionally" but it is like once every 2 years, the worst was when I was gridded and about to go out for a track session and stalled with a line of cars behind me...

lkchris 06-29-2015 05:03 PM

Occasionally, and most often with AC on--little more power required to compensate for that being used by AC.

cardiffgiant 06-29-2015 05:10 PM

2-3 times a season, less if you dont count the occasional trip to canada and waiting at the bridge in 1st gear

Box4two 06-29-2015 06:02 PM

Once in a blue moon if i'm not paying attention and throw it into 3rd thinking its first!

BIGJake111 06-29-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box4two (Post 455570)
Once in a blue moon if i'm not paying attention and throw it into 3rd thinking its first!

I've pulled away in third a few times and thinking, my god it was hard not to stall right then and then I realize my mistake haha. The S does alright about having enough power to make it manageable in higher gears.

bobbeck 06-29-2015 06:45 PM

After the new clutch I stalled more than a few times. I've driven / owned a manual since 16.

911monty 06-29-2015 06:45 PM

This is an interesting question. I will say I rarely stall in forward gears...What I will say is when backing up steep driveway and simultaneously maneuvering car to not drag bottom, it seems to pull a lot of power from car and seems engine has quite a load on it. This is the time the engine most wants to stall. Car seems to not like low speed backing maneuvers. I'm curious if anyone else notices this?

thstone 06-29-2015 08:08 PM

No, never stall. My Boxster has a very stiff clutch pedal but its really easy to modulate.

Porsche9 06-29-2015 08:24 PM

When I used to wear flip flops.

Now if I have foo flips on for driving I go bare foot. :rolleyes

kk2002s 06-30-2015 03:44 AM

Once a week is not a good Polling gauge. Maybe 1-2 times a year
If I wear the wrong shoes, that tends to make the clutch release harder to feel
I tend to listen to RPMs for take off, so if there is a lot of noise around me. I have been starting to use the Tach as my gauge and that actually is better for take off
Trying to learn hand braking on a hill for take off, that is confusing. I'm so much more comfortable with off brake, on throttle while letting the clutch out.
I do think the hand brake method could be better on the clutch

Old dog new tricks
I never stop trying to learn something new
Every take off, every shift I try and make perfect

Joe B 06-30-2015 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 455530)
I have left the e break on a few times though...

Brake, not break! Grrr. What are our schools coming to :mad:!

I can't vote because there is no choice between "Never" and "Once a Week." I probably stall once a year or less.

Benitom 06-30-2015 10:02 AM

in the beginning of ownership I stalled a handful of times times. Have only stalled once since I learned how to drive a Boxster.

An acquaintance of mine just picked up an 86 Carrera - she talked about the learning curve. Her very confident husband stalled twice out of the gate.

san rensho 06-30-2015 10:56 AM

In the four years I've had my Boxster, I've stalled it a handful of times. All the other cars I've had have been about the same.

Usually its something stupid like I forget I'm in gear and just let the clutch out. But stalling when launching, very rare for me.

Blackcloud 06-30-2015 11:19 AM

Only the first time i drove it. Put it into 3rd instead of first on an uphill.

BoxsterSteve 06-30-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 455575)
This is an interesting question. I will say I rarely stall in forward gears...What I will say is when backing up steep driveway and simultaneously maneuvering car to not drag bottom, it seems to pull a lot of power from car and seems engine has quite a load on it. This is the time the engine most wants to stall. Car seems to not like low speed backing maneuvers. I'm curious if anyone else notices this?

Funny you mention this. This is the situation where I'll stall mine; while reversing into the garage. It's a slight uphill slope and that's where it will happen.

911monty 06-30-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 455654)
Funny you mention this. This is the situation where I'll stall mine; while reversing into the garage. It's a slight uphill slope and that's where it will happen.

Strange isn't it? :confused: Like my engine has less power in reverse, I have to blip throttle and work the clutch even as I transition from upslope to downslope.

RandallNeighbour 06-30-2015 12:27 PM

Sheesh. I stalled last time I drove the Boxster. It's been a while since I've been behind the wheel and I'm out of practice!!!!!!!!!

Toppy986 06-30-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 455654)

I only seem to stall in reverse as well

rocartfe2 06-30-2015 04:42 PM

I am not a fan of electronic gas pedal and hydraulic clutch. I stall the Boxster at least once every thousand miles. My 1974 rarely ever. I like the feel of clutch cable and throttle rod much better.

TypeA 06-30-2015 04:58 PM

I drive CDL for a living, 80,000 pounds with a 10 speed manual (mainly city driving). Ive owned other manual transmission sports cars in the past, and Im pretty good at anything with a stick regardless of the weight of the vehicle or the terrain involved, but Ive never drove anything as fickle as a manual Boxster. I will say that I love how light the clutch is, every time I have to drive the wife's manual 2012 WRX it reminds how much I love the Box. Occasionally was my vote...

patssle 06-30-2015 06:01 PM

Once a year and only when somebody else is in the car of course! "Uhhh that never happens."

njbray 06-30-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocartfe2 (Post 455687)
I am not a fan of electronic gas pedal and hydraulic clutch. I stall the Boxster at least once every thousand miles. My 1974 rarely ever. I like the feel of clutch cable and throttle rod much better.

I think that's it! I have driven older 911's and many other sticks that have cable or rod gas pedal linkages and never had a problem - something about that electric connection seems to make the pedal very 'fickle!' (That's a good word)

Carlisabadman986 07-01-2015 09:03 AM

The first car I ever owned was a 1st Gen Mr2 (fell in live with mid engine set up). The entire time I owned the car it had an issue with what I believe was the idle control valve. Basically it would not idle. Once the choke wore off after the engine heated up the revs would just fall off and the car would stall unless you gave it gas. So had to do a lot of three pedal footwork. At a stop light my left foot was on the clutch and my right foot was on the brake and the gas. After a few months of driving like this I prided myself as a master manual driver(like every 18 year old with an old sports car prob). If I could drive that car without stalling I would never stall a car the idled properly. But even after I moved on to other manual cars I still stall on occasion. I think a couple times a year is a good estimate. Just not paying attention for a split second. I think we all pride ourselves on not stalling as it is kind of macho to say " I NEVER STALL" but it happens and it is nothing to be embarrassed about.

fusionist 07-01-2015 03:51 PM

I never stall… but in the first few weeks of ownership I remember stalling.

The Boxster has a hole in the power curve that makes you have to rev higher to get into first. If you are used to driving any other manual you can easily stall it. I remember reading about it in early reviews. So.. it's not you.

Porsche9 07-01-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusionist (Post 455819)
I never stall… but in the first few weeks of ownership I remember stalling.

The Boxster has a hole in the power curve that makes you have to rev higher to get into first. If you are used to driving any other manual you can easily stall it. I remember reading about it in early reviews. So.. it's not you.

Hole in the power curve? I'm curious. Do others have this issue? I don't. The Boxster is one of those cars that you can get moving from a stop without even touching the gas. In teaching my daughter to drive it was one of the things I should her to get over the fear of stalling/over revving it from a start.

Porsche9 07-01-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 455584)
When I used to wear flip flops.

Now if I have foo flips on for driving I go bare foot. :rolleyes

Got myself a pair of driving shoes that I can wear to the office without looking like I'm headed to the track. This should work working then bare foot. Dress shoes aren't always the best for foot work.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1435805161.jpg

TypeA 07-01-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 455843)
Hole in the power curve? I'm curious. Do others have this issue? I don't. The Boxster is one of those cars that you can get moving from a stop without even touching the gas. In teaching my daughter to drive it was one of the things I should her to get over the fear of stalling/over revving it from a start.

Youre lucky. My base 02 will stall every time if not given gas, even on flat ground and feathering it. New clutch at 104k and its still like that today at 110k. Never been fond of it as it does use up the clutch prematurely.

BIGJake111 07-02-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 455843)

Mine is the same. If you are slow enough off the clutch you don't even need to give the car gas.

Finnegan 07-02-2015 01:54 PM

It took me a while to get used to the clutch, and I stalled it once in the first few days. Just sort of drifting helplessly into an intersection..

Squozen 07-02-2015 03:25 PM

Only when stressed. Which naturally are the most embarrassing times.

jdlmodelt 08-05-2015 06:54 PM

of course. no one is perfect. I have to park my car in a garage that I have to stop, apply the parking brake, get out, open the garage door, get back in and remove the parking brake. and about 50 out of 100 times, i stall.

jdlmodelt 08-05-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeA (Post 455846)
Youre lucky. My base 02 will stall every time if not given gas, even on flat ground and feathering it. New clutch at 104k and its still like that today at 110k. Never been fond of it as it does use up the clutch prematurely.

Yep. EVERYONE i teach to drive the Boxster I instruct to overrev to start out, otherwise the seasoned person feathers the clutch out to keep from stalling and can still fail....

jaykay 08-05-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 455844)
Got myself a pair of driving shoes that I can wear to the office without looking like I'm headed to the track. This should work working then bare foot. Dress shoes aren't always the best for foot work.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1435805161.jpg

.....stop! Wait ....Grooovy baby! These are out of sight my man...