Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 PM   #1

help

hi guys, i just brought a 97 boxster. i am still waiting for my dealer to pass me the manual. i hope someone could help me in regard to my digital read below the center meter. the one that tell you the speed. its in MPH and i was wodering how could i change it to KM. thanks

ivan loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:55 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did you buy your car in Singapore?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 AM   #3

Hi,

To change the display from MPH to KPH you must have the key in the Ignition. Then, Turn (but do not press) the Button on the Right-hand Top of the Display (it has a picture of a Clock on it) counterclockwise and Hold it for 5 Sec. This will change the Display. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #4

We have another forum member who bought a Boxster and lives in S'pore. You should look him up. He's done a lot of mods to his car... It's a Model Year 2000 if I'm not mistaken.

May I ask what you had to pay for that 97 Boxster in your fine city?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #5

thanks

thanks for the info. apprecite it. as for the price for a 1997 boxster tip;
i paid USD$ 80,000( SG $130,000). car tax are very high in singapore.
a brand new 987 boxster will cost about USD$154,000. with that kind of money in USA you guys could have gotten fully loaded 911 right?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #6

For that kind of money, we can buy a 911 Turbo S.

Aye Carumba, how many cars are there in Singapore????

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #7

Singapore

Hi Ivan.

I have lived about 10 years in Singapore aournd River Valley Rd..., am in Boston now...I absolutely loved Singapore, but the car situation is depressing indeed..

Own a 2000 boxster...my buddy just saved and saved and saved and bought a Honda Accord for about $50K US...the taxes are crazy...

on a positive, there are not many boxsters on the road.!!
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #8

hi

singapore is very small. 40km by 30km. and we have a population of about a total of 4.5 million. the only way to curb the number of cars on
the road is to raise taxes. the import duties is about 130% at this point. and also other taxes too! there are about 900 porsche on the road of singapore. that make it pretty rare sight!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #9

Ivan, I lived in Singapore as well, and I must disagree with you. The government could easily limit the number of cars added to your roads each calendar year without raising the taxes to the sky-high limits it maintains today.

It's creative governmental avarice, clear and simple.

PS - My family lived in missionary housing purchased in the 30's near Holland Village. Yeah, I know that's an expensive area, but my family was dirt poor, believe me!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #10

randall,

may I ask what brought you to singapore?

Dennizxxx
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #11

Yes, you certainly may ask!

I lived there from 1975 to 1978 as a missionary kid.

I have been back four times since then (doing church work). It is one of my favorite places on the earth, and I've been to most every place on this earth for comparison! I just wish it wasn't as far away from Houston, Texas as a place could be located on this planet.

But I'd never move there to reside. My parents did it again in the late 80's and it was simply too expensive, too crowded and too friggin' hot and humid of a place for me to live when I visited them.

My memories of Singapore are wonderful... but I always forget it's located too close to the equator when I step off the plane into that outrageous humidity. It's actually worse than Houston.

You know, one would think that with the incredible taxes on cars, there wouldn't be that many and the cars on the road wouldn't be fancy, but one can easily count dozens and dozens of BMW's, Mercedes and even Rolls Royces in the business district in a matter of seconds.

Singapore is one of the wealthiest nations on the face of the earth, and their sole natural resource is their people. They're a brilliant nation too... I have never met a dim-witted Singaporean. Every single person I came across on the street spoke at least two languages fluently and most have a university education. I just wish the place was a little cooler, located closer to Houston, Texas and not so enthusiastic about taxing their people the way they do. It keeps the country from attaining all it could if you ask me.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #12

wow thanks for the overview...!!

You are correct I absolutely love Singapore, the food, the people, it is def too hot and humid there..although it is interesting that there are people who wear light jackets in the early mornings or when it rains!!!!!!!!

THe country is a little too small for my taste but I guess you can drive into Malaysia if you feel the need to stretch your legs a little....

On a related note, I will be taking a vacation to Singapore and Bali this November!

I wish I could bring my boxster to Singapore!
Old 04-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #13

Go out and gorge yourself on Roti Prata for breakfast, char qweiteow for lunch, and satay for dinner for me, ok? I eat that same menu every single day when I visit there.

Oh man I'm jonesing for that food right now! You are so lucky.

The box would be frustrating in Spore... too much traffic. Now driving up the coast of Malaysia in it would be a blast... but finding premium fuel along the way might be a difficult thing to do.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #14

Ivan, whatcha paying for a gallon of premium gasoline today in Spore?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #15

hi randall

a gallon of premuim petrol is about USD$4.10. how much do your guys pay back in the US? BTW i just had roti prata last nite. do you have fozen poti prata there at the super market?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:11 AM   #16

my price

for my '97 was $12,900. Those prices are crazy.
ct_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 AM   #17

Ivan, your fuel prices aren't that bad, are they? We're at 3.10 per gallon for premium here today, but it's going up every minute it seems. We'll have record fuel prices in a week or less.

But we both have nothing to complain about... some folks in Europe and England pay nearly $10 a gallon, although most of it is road tax.

They don't sell frozen roti here to my knowledge. Not enough need for it. I think I have to get an recipe from somewhere. Hey, can you find one for me and PM me with it? I think it's an easy thing to make.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #18

very funny Ivan...

I tried a frozen roti prata here from an asian supermarket...I was not amused!!

as the saying goes...THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!