Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post

And looking at the fuse box it would be one standing up and one laid down in the middle of the square and at the bottom of it....

like this...

jump those two connections and you should have fuel, if not fuel pump time
Stupid question: I just jump these and turn the car on? And if it doesn't work, I try to measure the fuel pressure? Any suggestion on what tool/brand to use?

Montesinnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #42
Registered Boxster abuser

Yes, just jump the two female holes with a jumper wire. Turn the key on ( may not need to) look at presure gauge or with proper safety attire tap the shrrader valve at the fuel rail. A strong force of Fuel should spray out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Yes, just jump the two female holes with a jumper wire. Turn the key on ( may not need to) look at presure gauge or with proper safety attire tap the shrrader valve at the fuel rail. A strong force of Fuel should spray out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
So I did jump those connectors after removing the relay. The pump comes on. As soon as I plug, i hear a whirring noise from the engine (which I thought it was weird because the pump is on the front, right?). However, putting my head near the battery, I can clear hear it on.

The car did not turn on, though. I don't have any equipment to check the fuel pressure yet, but the pump seems to be fine. This is what looks like:
http://youtu.be/kDAgZ362qls

I still have the P0102 - Mass air flow sensor short circuit/open circuit error after erasing the fault a couples times. Could be it?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #44
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Absolutely. The MAF is what tells the ECU how much fuel to inject, so definitely could be the issue.

Sorry...I guess I missed the MAF code on your first post.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-05-2015 at 06:02 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #45

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Absolutely. The MAF is what tells the ECU how much fuel to inject, so definitely could be the issue.

Sorry...I guess I missed the MAF code on your first post.
No problem. I'm learning a bunch. So, the MAF should I bother "cleaning" it or re-sitting it or it's usually a new part I have to get?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #46
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesinnos View Post
So I did jump those connectors after removing the relay. The pump comes on. As soon as I plug, i hear a whirring noise from the engine (which I thought it was weird because the pump is on the front, right?). However, putting my head near the battery, I can clear hear it on.

The car did not turn on, though. I don't have any equipment to check the fuel pressure yet, but the pump seems to be fine. This is what looks like:
http://youtu.be/kDAgZ362qls

I still have the P0102 - Mass air flow sensor short circuit/open circuit error after erasing the fault a couples times. Could be it?
Fuel pump is in the front, easy to hear in the front no question about that, I'm deaf as a post and can hear that when jumping the relay. Not sure why you'd hear anything from the back. You sure you're jumping the correct relay?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #47
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesinnos View Post
No problem. I'm learning a bunch. So, the MAF should I bother "cleaning" it or re-sitting it or it's usually a new part I have to get?
If it says "shorted or open", check the connector. Other than that, replace.
I guess you could try cleaning first, but I'd bet that won't help.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Fuel pump is in the front, easy to hear in the front no question about that, I'm deaf as a post and can hear that when jumping the relay. Not sure why you'd hear anything from the back. You sure you're jumping the correct relay?
I can hear the pump in the front. There's a whirring in the back (i have the access to engine open behind the sit so it's very easy to hear). I read a couple other people also hear something in the back when the pump.
I do believe I got it right. I have the relay on my hands. This is it:

Old 07-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If it says "shorted or open", check the connector. Other than that, replace.
I guess you could try cleaning first, but I'd bet that won't help.
Thanks a bunch for your help so far.

Any opinion which MAF should I buy? Is this good enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CO317M?colid=37GW3JQRWEZSS

Also, I installed a bulldog keyless entry 1 year ago. Any chance that I ****************ed it up and that's why i'm having short circuit around my car? (Far fetch, but trying to rule out everything)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #50
I am my own mechanic....

Clear the known codes it's throwing first. Then trouble shoot if needed from there.
I just went though no start and FP. It thunked and made a sound but no fuel pressure. If you're getting a code like a MAF, clear that first.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Clear the known codes it's throwing first. Then trouble shoot if needed from there.
I just went though no start and FP. It thunked and made a sound but no fuel pressure. If you're getting a code like a MAF, clear that first.
I think i cleared the MAF code 3 times over the last 2 weeks. It keeps coming back. I will clear it again tomorrow and see how fast it comes back.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #52
Registered Boxster abuser

If you have a maf code i would try to start the car with the maf disconnected (unplugged) and see if there is any change

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited by healthservices; 07-06-2015 at 08:22 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #53

Garage
I erased the code and removed the MAF connector. The code didn't come back. But I think it was intermittent anyways. Not sure it is conclusive.

I recorded another video of the action: http://youtu.be/E5MA9wEHCZg

I'm leaving the car for now and I will try a couple times again to see if the MAF code comes back.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #54

Garage
Some updates (work has been crazy, no time to work on the car):

I took the alternator out and brought it to Autozone and OReilleys. Both place tested and said that that the alternator is fine, and so is the Voltage Regulator. I put it back in.

Since I was inside the car already, I changed the belt and the air filter. The belt wasn't so bad, but the filter was.

I keep resetting the codes, and the MAF warnings keep coming back. I heard that it could be the battery being disconnected or some electrical problem somewhere else, but if the Durametric is to be believed, the MAF is bad.

These are the errors that I believe keep repeating:

P1062 - Supply voltage open circuit
P0102 - Mass airflow snesor short circuit/open circuit
P0112 - Intake air temp sensor

I will disconnect the MAF again tomorrow and try again.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #55

Garage
Late update for people who ends up in this thread looking for a solution to the same problem.
It was the CPS (crankshaft position sensor)

I bought this one on Amazon for $90 and it works wonders. Car never has problem turning on again.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K8ZHOU
Old 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #56
I am my own mechanic....

That should have made your tach not move. That's the give away for the CPS. Glad you're wife stayed with you.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #57

Garage
Quote:
That should have made your tach not move. That's the give away for the CPS.
Weird. Tach always moved when I was having the issue.
I am 99% it was the CPS. I changed a bunch of things through out 2 months and nothing seemed to resolve it.
Changed the CPS and the car immediately behaved better and never gave any issue. It's been a month of 2 as of right now.

I replaced it with a brand new one, but I feel like the old one was fine, just very dirty. There was a thick layer of oil/gunk on it. It feels like it is a part that shouldnt break.
Anyways, $90 was a cheap fix.

Quote:
Glad you're wife stayed with you.
Not sure it's a good thing.