Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Header install with pics

I need some input - see the install pics below.

The first 3 are passenger side - anyone concerned about the proximity of any coolant lines? There seems to be enough distance / seperation to not cause problems but wanted to get some thoughts.

These pics are dirvers side. Clearly I need to get the hose (power steering hose I think) out of the way - I am thinking of putting a section of 1 1/2" hose around this hose, wrap it with fiberglass exhaust wrap, then metal zip tie it up and out of the way using the large circular hole in the body as the attachment point for the zip tie.

Thanks for the thoughts-

brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

I put wrap on any areas that I thought might possibly cause issue and safety wired the steering line out of harms way. Been that way for several thousand miles with no problems. Just checked when changing the engine mount and all is well.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

Garage
You need to get the power steering fluid hose as far away as possible and anchor it so it doesn't swing back over and contact the headers. A major cause of fires is the headers melting through the hose and igniting the PS fluid. Do it gently though as the pressed hose connection can be damaged and it will leak fluid out.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

Power steering fluid... very flammable. Margin of error is zero.

You have to account for vibration/expansion. Nearly every after market header I've had ended up making contact requiring a second trip to the lift
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

I used silver insulation tape on my power steering hose and tied it back away from the header on that left side of the motor.

I did notice a lot less heat buildup from the headers through the factory cats when I also added a free-flowing aftermarket muffler. Just a thought for you to consider.

Plus, the factory muffler gets outrageously hot (turning rear trunk into pizza delivery warming oven) and my aftermarket twin chamber Charlie Chan muffler is cool as a cucumber.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-01-2015 at 08:24 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
+1
Same thing, insulation plus tied FAR away. It's been like that for 100,000 miles. I also noticed less heat with aftermarket exhaust parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I used silver insulation tape on my power steering hose and tied it back away from the header on that left side of the motor.

I did notice a lot less heat buildup from the headers through the factory cats when I also added a free-flowing aftermarket muffler. Just a thought for you to consider.

Plus, the factory muffler gets outrageously hot (turning rear trunk into pizza delivery warming oven) and my aftermarket twin chamber Charlie Chan muffler is cool as a cucumber.