Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Rburro2

Garage
Rear tail light holder issues

OK, This is complicated and I'll try to simplify it.

I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7L 5 speed

All bulbs and fuses are good.

My rear tail lights are not working properly. Brake lights work, Reverse lights work.

Drivers side:
Rear fog light works. Actual tail lights don't.

Passenger side:
Actual tail lights work intermittently. Rear fog light doesn't.

So my questions: Are there known issues with the bulb holders? Has any one had similar problems and what was the fix?

Roger

Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

Garage
Roger

I currently have a similar issue with my 2001 2.7 Boxster. Except that both brake lights have failed and when replaced one failed again immediately. We have put a meter across the light cluster contact points and can't see anything untoward for current and voltage.

Is there a history of damage to the loom somewhere nearby which we might want to look for?

Is it a question of replacing the bulb holders?

Sorry to have hijacked your thread Roger, but I shall be hoping for the same help as you I believe.

Thanks in advance
Stevetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #3

Garage
The tail light holders consist of a metal circuit grid press-fit into a plastic carrier. Over time, the holes that retain the metal "pegs" of the grid lose their grip, allowing the grid to push away from the carrier, weakening contact with the bulbs. I had this problem a couple of years ago with my 2001, where my brake lights would go out. I reseated the grid, but when i inserted the bulb, it just pulled away again.
I ended up putting a dab of epoxy in the holes, and its been fine since.

Bill
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
1976 Datsun 260Z
billj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, the strips pop out and should be secured. I used a screw.
As for both rear fogs not working, that indicates a much bigger problem with the driver.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

On the Boxster, the bulb in passenger side rear socket does not operate in fog light mode. I believe
that is typical of European cars.

Last edited by jotoole; 06-19-2015 at 12:06 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Rburro2

Garage
Update: All the tail lights work fine when I don't try to use the rear fog lights. So I won't use them.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yes, the strips pop out and should be secured. I used a screw.
As for both rear fogs not working, that indicates a much bigger problem with the driver.

Hi particlewave! First, I want to say thanks for posting this over a year ago; I'm having this exact problem in that location causing my brake light to not work intermittently. Do you (or anyone reading this) know what size screw you are using to secure that strip? I'd prefer your solution but if I can't find a tiny screw, I'll just use electrical tape to tighten the strip down by wrapping it around. Do you think that would be safe as well (I'm hoping electrical tape = non-conductive)?

Thanks and happy new year everyone!
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I had the same issue with the metal popping out of the frame, causing my brake lights to work intermittently. I wrapped some electrical tape around the metal and plastic, that was 3 years ago. I have not had any issues since.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
The Driver side rear Fog Light is the only one that will burn. As for the passenger side, Porsche left the bulb out on my car, and 12 volts is not supplied to that socket. If I recall, someone on the forum said, "If both sides were burning, drivers behind you may have a hard time distinguishing the brighter Fog Lights from brake lights."
Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
The Driver side rear Fog Light is the only one that will burn. As for the passenger side, Porsche left the bulb out on my car, and 12 volts is not supplied to that socket. If I recall, someone on the forum said, "If both sides were burning, drivers behind you may have a hard time distinguishing the brighter Fog Lights from brake lights."
And as it is, Boxster owners driving with their fog lights on get pulled over by law enforcement for having a tail light out. You can't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
Hi particlewave! First, I want to say thanks for posting this over a year ago; I'm having this exact problem in that location causing my brake light to not work intermittently. Do you (or anyone reading this) know what size screw you are using to secure that strip? I'd prefer your solution but if I can't find a tiny screw, I'll just use electrical tape to tighten the strip down by wrapping it around. Do you think that would be safe as well (I'm hoping electrical tape = non-conductive)?

Thanks and happy new year everyone!
I just grabbed a screw from my loose screw bin that was long enough...not really sure what size it was.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #11

I had the problem of the metal pieces that hold the bulbs in the rear taillight assemblies pulling out of the plastic housing, which caused the bulb to not work reliably.

Fixed by mixing up some plastic-compatible epoxy, and dabbing it with a toothpick into the crevices where the metal tangs are seated into the plastic material.

I can't imagine it possibly failing again, anytime soon. Just noticed in this thread, others doing similar sorts of repairs.

Another tip while you're in there: put a light dab or coating of silicone grease on all of the metal-to-metal electrical contacts, to prevent corrosion from building up and keeping good, reliable electrical connection. Only needed in a few spots, such as where the base of the bulb makes electrical contact, and where locking pins of the bulb make contact with the metal bulb holder.

Last edited by jakeru; 01-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
I had the problem of the metal pieces that hold the bulbs in the rear taillight assemblies pulling out of the plastic housing, which caused the bulb to not work reliably.

Fixed by mixing up some plastic-compatible epoxy, and dabbing it with a toothpick into the crevices where the metal tangs are seated into the plastic material.

I can't imagine it possibly failing again, anytime soon. Just noticed in this thread, others doing similar sorts of repairs.

Another tip while you're in there: put a light dab or coating of silicone grease on all of the metal-to-metal electrical contacts, to prevent corrosion from building up and keeping good, reliable electrical connection. Only needed in a few spots, such as where the base of the bulb makes electrical contact, and where locking pins of the bulb make contact with the metal bulb holder.
Thanks for the tip as this is the problem on my '02. Thought I was losing my mind as I changed bulbs and verified all bulbs for functionality before inserting back into the taillight housings.

Sure enough once everything was reinstalled, all lights have been intermittent from brake lights, running lights and reverse on both sides. A real PITA!

1973 914 2.0-Marathon Blue Metallic (Funday Driver)
1972 VW Beetle Convertible-Saturn Yellow (Sunday Driver)
2013 Panamera S Platinum Silver Metallic (Daily Driver)
2002 Boxster 2.7-Lapis Blue Metallic (Don't Even Ask!)
98Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I had that same problem when first I bought my car, 8-17, and didn't see this thread. Thus, I ended purchasing a new unit. Fixed the problem.

For sale: Driver's side unit. Works intermittently. Fix available.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sixer View Post
Thanks for the tip as this is the problem on my '02. Thought I was losing my mind as I changed bulbs and verified all bulbs for functionality before inserting back into the taillight housings.

Sure enough once everything was reinstalled, all lights have been intermittent from brake lights, running lights and reverse on both sides. A real PITA!
Ended up buying the replacement holders from Sunset Porsched in Beaverton for $39.00/each. At that price didn't want to mess with DIY repairs and sure enough everything works great!

1973 914 2.0-Marathon Blue Metallic (Funday Driver)
1972 VW Beetle Convertible-Saturn Yellow (Sunday Driver)
2013 Panamera S Platinum Silver Metallic (Daily Driver)
2002 Boxster 2.7-Lapis Blue Metallic (Don't Even Ask!)
98Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #15

Garage
Hey 986 lovers. Greetings from guatemala... i am having the same issue, but i have changed the bulb plate and the problem continues. The turn signal, brake light and reverse - works just fine , its the fog light and tail light the ones giving me problem. This is only in the drivers side, the other works perfect. Any ideas? could it be a fuse?
986Guatemala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Guatemala View Post
Hey 986 lovers. Greetings from guatemala... i am having the same issue, but i have changed the bulb plate and the problem continues. The turn signal, brake light and reverse - works just fine , its the fog light and tail light the ones giving me problem. This is only in the drivers side, the other works perfect. Any ideas? could it be a fuse?
Stick to one thread, please.