Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #1

Garage
Made it home on Dead Battery

Got to go for an unexpected drive yesterday, Mothers Day. Drove up with my wife, top down, 100 miles to visit my daughter. Drive up was nice and uneventful. My daughter and I drove over, top down, to Walmart about 5 miles away. We came out of the store and when I went to start the car, Surprise, surprise, surprise - No start, Nothing. Had dash lights, frunk opened so there was some power but starter wouldn't turn.
Just started going down the list of what could be happening. Fortunately some very nice women pulled up, seeing my hood open and looking discouraged, offered a jump. 10 minutes later, the boxster came to life..
Drove back to my daughters no problem. Tried to start it but nothing. Relaxed a bit, had dinner (Of course the whole time all I can think about is how do I get home. It's getting dark and I have to drive 100 miles on a dead battery)
So I jumped it again and headed home, in the dark with lights on. Everything worked fine and I got home. All I could think about was "Don't Stall, don't stall"
Don't know how old the Interstate Mega Tron battery is as no one plucked out those marker tabs on it. I've owned it almost 3 years and had some issues this winter but with charger could always start it and it did sit alot.
Well now it's battery replace time

Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 AM   #2

Gotta keep 'em on a trickle charger if you don't drive every day!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

I keep this fully charged in the storage shelf next to my MAC-10.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-CPP-7500-JumPack-Portable/dp/B00IZGWL1W/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431357850&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=cobra+jjumpack

It will jump start an SUV.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Those winter starting issues are always a sign to replace the battery. I've judged by that for many years, and have never been left flat. They almost always last 6 Years, Though I just got 9 Years on a Sears Platinum in my K2500.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

I keep this fully charged in the storage shelf next to my MAC-10.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-CPP-7500-JumPack-Portable/dp/B00IZGWL1W/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431357850&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=cobra+jjumpack

It will jump start an SUV.

I just got one of those and it's awesome! My sister gave to me for a bday gift. My lawn tractor was dead and fired it right up, so cool!
Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #6

Back around '70, I had an Alfa Giulia Spyder and the battery was in the left rear in the trunk. I had neglected to fill it all winter and only gone on 3-4 mile drives. First spring day headed off on a 50 mile trip. The battery got so hot it melted the plates and the paint on the right rear fender. But got a jump and, with no battery even in the car, drove the 50 miles back keeping the revs up at every stop light. No cash and that was before I had a credit card. Dumb me.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote