Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

ignition switch/imobilizer

Hey Guys....quick question. Went to replace my "electrical" ignition switch (feeling a little stiff), pulled the old one out.....figured out the problem was NOT the switch....put the old one back in, now the car won't start.....nothing. All the lights come on, doors lock, just turn the key and nothing. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes....still nothing.

Help!

dlmack111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

disconnect and re plug in the plug at the back of the ignition. Another thing you can do is un plug the connector and plug it into the new switch, place the key in the ignition so the immobilizer sees and reads the key in the key lock and use a screw driver to turn the electrical portion of the key switch. it should start. If it starts you know it is not the rest of the system but in the connection or the old switch.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Mine did the same thing when I replaced it a few weeks ago.
I just pulled the connector off of the back of the ignition switch and plugged it back in.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #4

Great...thanks guys.....I will give these a try and let you know.....thanks again for the help!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

Got it!........unplugged and replugged switch, still no go. Left the key in the ignition, connected the new switch to the harness, turned it with a screwdriver, and it fired right up!.......Thank you for all who helped, I appreciate it!!!!