Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
Rburro2

Garage
Radio Code

I just bought a 2000 Boxster. The stereo is working presently, but being the 4th owner I do not have the owners manual or stereo manual. Is there a way to find or reset the code before I have an issue and need to remove it to get the SN?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #2

Check under the front deck lid. Many times it will be handwritten on the option list. It's a 4 number code.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

If you have an owner's manual sometimes there is a card in the case with the radio code.

If that doesn't work then there is a thread on RennTech with instructions for accessing the serial number (without having to take the radio out) and you post it, and they give you a few codes to try. it worked for my neighbor that has a 996 Cab.

Lost Radio Code - post your request here - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Rburro2

Garage
Thank you I'll give that a try.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

I found this in FB. I haven't tried them but I think this should work.

b it may help some of you folks who have lost there radio codes, haven't tried it yet don't know if anyone has
How to get your radio serial number?
CR-220/CDR-220:
Hold down the TP button for at least 10 seconds after you turn the radio on. "Becker 1" will be displayed. Rotate the right knob (slowly) and it will display the Becker model number. Then rotate it again and the serial number should be displayed on the radio.
Or, if the radio is out of the car the then the serial number is on the label.
CR-210:
Press tone, then 8 and 0 simultaneously. "Becker" appears. Press station up arrow on right. "PR-VERS" appears. Press one of numbered buttons below display, directly below the LCD arrowheads (try a few). The model number will appear. Press station up arrow on right. "SERIAL N" will appear. Press the numbered button again. The serial number will appear.
CDR-23 (or later):
These radios do not have a security code - that is, not that the user enters.
These radios are security tested on the MOST (fiber optic bus) system to see if they are the "programmed" radio. The radios are programmed and recognized by the car’s DME and can only be replaced by a shop with a PST2 or PIWIS. These radios will not request a code when battery power is disconnected.
Traffic Pro:
Select the Service Menu, press NAV and multifunction key 10 simultaneously in radio mode. Use multifunction keys Nxt and Prv or turn the right control knob to select the individual items.
You can move through the following items:
- Model-No.
- Serial-No. <-- this is what we need
- Changer Reset
- GAL
- Radio Software
- Radio Bolo
- Navi Rom
- Navi Flash
- RTC Value
To quit the service menu, press END.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Rburro2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I found this in FB. I haven't tried them but I think this should work.

b it may help some of you folks who have lost there radio codes, haven't tried it yet don't know if anyone has
How to get your radio serial number?
CR-220/CDR-220:
Hold down the TP button for at least 10 seconds after you turn the radio on. "Becker 1" will be displayed. Rotate the right knob (slowly) and it will display the Becker model number. Then rotate it again and the serial number should be displayed on the radio.
CR-210:
Press tone, then 8 and 0 simultaneously. "Becker" appears. Press station up arrow on right. "PR-VERS" appears. Press one of numbered buttons below display, directly below the LCD arrowheads (try a few). The model number will appear. Press station up arrow on right. "SERIAL N" will appear. Press the numbered button again. The serial number will appear.
CDR-23 (or later):
These radios do not have a security code - that is, not that the user enters.
These radios are security tested on the MOST (fiber optic bus) system to see if they are the "programmed" radio. The radios are programmed and recognized by the car’s DME and can only be replaced by a shop with a PST2 or PIWIS. These radios will not request a code when battery power is disconnected.
Traffic Pro:
Select the Service Menu, press NAV and multifunction key 10 simultaneously in radio mode. Use multifunction keys Nxt and Prv or turn the right control knob to select the individual items.
You can move through the following items:
- Model-No.
- Serial-No. <-- this is what we need
- Changer Reset
- GAL
- Radio Software
- Radio Bolo
- Navi Rom
- Navi Flash
- RTC Value
To quit the service menu, press END.
That worked...Thank you
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Rburro2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you have an owner's manual sometimes there is a card in the case with the radio code.

If that doesn't work then there is a thread on RennTech with instructions for accessing the serial number (without having to take the radio out) and you post it, and they give you a few codes to try. it worked for my neighbor that has a 996 Cab.

Lost Radio Code - post your request here - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community

Steve
I was able to get the SN and posted on RennTech. I was able to get the code. Thank you for the help.