Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #41
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Just use some coat hangar wire for a rod. Make sure you hook the batteries up in series to get 24 volts!

I take no responsibility if you actually try this, btw. None. Zip. Nada. I'll put this on the same page as using ether to set your tires on the bead.

Be pretty cool if it worked though... Probably S.O.P. for the boiler banger.
I actually think I will use 3 batteries to make sure I have enough power. And yes I would definitely be using a coat hanger. No sense in wasting money on welding rod. I will need that money for the hospital bills lol.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #42
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
Call a couple of local gun shops to see if they have Kroil. I am not saying it is magic, but I have always had better luck with Kroil over PB. I know you are trying everything you can, so I'm still wishing you luck
I think we might have some at work. I will look around for it tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder about it. If I can't find it at work I will just order some from Amazon. The wife has 2 day shipping thing from there.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #43
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I actually think I will use 3 batteries to make sure I have enough power. And yes I would definitely be using a coat hanger. No sense in wasting money on welding rod. I will need that money for the hospital bills lol.
LMAO!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #44
Track rat

Garage
Galvanic corrosion is the enemy and penetrating oil, hammer and heat are the solution. Sometimes the corrosion is too severe and you can't save the threads. After soaking overnight again, try heat and a heavy hammer. You might get lucky. If it won't give a time sert installed by an experienced tech will save the hub. It's only money.

Here is a homemade penetrating oil that is tested and performs better than any off the shelf product at 1/10th the price:

Make a better penetrating oil
Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #45
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I went over and talked to my indy today. He said he has never seen that happen on a Boxster or 911 before. He has seen it on the SUV's, but people drive them year round. He is sure he can get it out. I also asked him to break free the rest of the bolts while it's there. I don't want to go back again. I'm bringing it in tomorrow, so by the weekend I should know what the damage is lol. Thanks for all your help guys
Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #46

I did the brakes on my 01S not too long ago. The car had come from back east and all four top Caliper bolts had buggered threads on the very end. And all four came out very slowly and with great difficultly. I had to then chase the threads, put some anti seize on them and re-install. Not sure why this happens to the top bolts. The bottom bolts all around were fine. The fronts were particularly bad and I had to go back and forth, back and forth all the way out and was convinced they were going to break any second. What an incredible pain in the A## that was.
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #47
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia080261 View Post
I did the brakes on my 01S not too long ago. The car had come from back east and all four top Caliper bolts had buggered threads on the very end. And all four came out very slowly and with great difficultly. I had to then chase the threads, put some anti seize on them and re-install. Not sure why this happens to the top bolts. The bottom bolts all around were fine. The fronts were particularly bad and I had to go back and forth, back and forth all the way out and was convinced they were going to break any second. What an incredible pain in the A## that was.
Yep, the top bolts terminate into a little well that has no drainage. It captures moisture and road salt over time which works into the threads causing galvanic corrosion. A small drain hole or simply filling the well with silicone after installation might help solve this. The bottom bolts gravity drain so not nearly such a problem. I always use a high temp thread lube on caliper bolts to help with removal next time.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #48
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well my mechanic had a go at getting the bolt out. He wasn't successful. He also wasn't comfortable trying to put in a helicoil with brake mount / hub on the car. So since he was going to take it off anyway I purchased a new (used) one from our good friend Woody. I also had him try to get the bolts out of the rest of the calipers while he had it there. It turns out the drivers side top bolt is frozen as well as one of the rear top bolts. So I guess I will need to address the other hubs before I will be able to fit new rotors on the car. It's funny how a simple brake job has turned into this mess. On the bright side maybe the new (used) hubs i purchase will have newer wheel bearings in them.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #49
Beginner

Garage
I took my calipers off and the top bolts did not budge at all pulling on them. A 3 lb. sledge hammer on a breaker bar did the trick. I did not have to deal with salt water dribbling into the well near the bolt however.

How to bust a bolt loose with a sledge and a breaker bar: Get the socket wrench (six point or Allen in my case) well engaged on the bolt. Load the breaker bar as much as you can with one hand. Strike the end of the breaker bar with the hammer. Loading the breaker bar before striking is imperative, as is using a heavy hammer. Using a sixteen ounce carpenter hammer, or striking an unloaded breaker bar is wasting your time.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #50

A note I have learned

A dead blow hammer is also great...doesn't bounce so much

you can buy Kroil direct from manufacturer

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Last edited by Pdwight; 05-05-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #51
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
OK update. The bolt never came out of the hub. I had Woody send me a used one. Had my indy remove the old one and put the new one on for me. I also had them try to loosen the remaining bolts on the other three hubs. Front drivers top bolt stuck, to rear top passenger bolt stuck. The good news is the drivers rear isn't stuck. I ordered some Kroil from the manufacturer $20 for 2 cans. That arrived today. So I'm going to fill up the little well on both of the stuck bolts with Kroil tonight. Actually I'm going to do it on all three. I will let that soak for a few days and see what happens. Thanks for all of your help so far guys.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #52

Garage
Getting ready to replace my rotors and paint calipers and I'm stuck on the first bolt. Already broke my socket. When y'all say heat, do you mean just a propane torch?
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #53
Registered Boxster abuser

heat where the bolt goes into the hub.

East coast cars....

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Getting ready to replace my rotors and paint calipers and I'm stuck on the first bolt. Already broke my socket. When y'all say heat, do you mean just a propane torch?
Oxy acetelyne !

The way i have found works best is a long breaker bar (longer than 2ft) wind it up so it is 'loaded' then give it a snap with your wrists. the worst thing to do with the nex heads is increasing torque it almost guarantees rounding out the corners.

The newer version of the caliper bolt is a large torx head. get those and for anyone reading, save yourself some grief and change them before they get corroded in.

Also i use copper grease on them when they go back. all the way along the thread.. never had a problem since.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #55
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Success I was able to change my brakes last night. After I got my Kroil in the mail I sprayed it on the back of all the bolts. I let it sit overnight and most of the day Saturday. I got to work on the front drivers side first. It still took me a few hours slowly backing it out and in. Hitting it with a hammer and spraying more Kroil. But it did come out . I had to chase the thread with a M12 1.5 tap, but all is well now. The Kroil is a miracle. I would definitely recommend it. It's hard to find at stores, but you can get 2 cans for like $20 from there website. It's worth every penny.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 AM   #56

Garage
Ordering Kroil and new caliper bolts. The good news is that the other three (I only have access to do one side at a time due to room) came out beautifully. It just scared me because the frozen one was the first one I tried so I expected them all to be trouble. Got the rear caliper painted and it looks beautiful. A little too much paint on a couple spots, but hardly noticeable except to me. Putting the decal on today and throwing some clear coat on. Hopefully, the PB Blaster does the trick on the frozen bolt and I'll get to keep the Kroil for another time because I really want to get this project done now that I see how pretty they are.

First coat

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Success I was able to change my brakes last night. After I got my Kroil in the mail I sprayed it on the back of all the bolts. I let it sit overnight and most of the day Saturday. I got to work on the front drivers side first. It still took me a few hours slowly backing it out and in. Hitting it with a hammer and spraying more Kroil. But it did come out . I had to chase the thread with a M12 1.5 tap, but all is well now. The Kroil is a miracle. I would definitely recommend it. It's hard to find at stores, but you can get 2 cans for like $20 from there website. It's worth every penny.

I am really glad it worked out for you! Kroil is the SH*+!!! There is nothing else like it!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #58
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
I am really glad it worked out for you! Kroil is the SH*+!!! There is nothing else like it!
You were totally right my man. Thanks a lot for the Tip!!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #59
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Ordering Kroil and new caliper bolts. The good news is that the other three (I only have access to do one side at a time due to room) came out beautifully. It just scared me because the frozen one was the first one I tried so I expected them all to be trouble. Got the rear caliper painted and it looks beautiful. A little too much paint on a couple spots, but hardly noticeable except to me. Putting the decal on today and throwing some clear coat on. Hopefully, the PB Blaster does the trick on the frozen bolt and I'll get to keep the Kroil for another time because I really want to get this project done now that I see how pretty they are.

First coat

Well i'm a fan of PB but believe me when i tell you the Kroil works so much better i couldn't even believe it. PB wasn't doing anything even after letting it sit for over a week. I had the Kroil on there for less than a day and I could tell it was going to work. So if you have no patience like me it will be hard to wait for the Kroil to arrive, but you will be glad when it does.

PS the red looks great
Old 05-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #60
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage

This is how it looks now. Excuse the dirty and gouged up wheel.