Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #1

Spoiler LED indicator

I bought this cool gimick from a guy in Germany on ebay. He takes a switch blank from the dash of a Boxster and inserts a red LED attached to a wire harness with pins that slide into one of the gage harnesses. It even came in a little Porsche electrical box.

When you reach 75 mph the LED flashes as the spoiler extends. Once at full extension, the LED stays lit, until you drop below 50 mph, and then it flashes until fully retracted. This guy did some neat (and simple) enginering to handmake an unique little gimick to play with. But then again, that is why I bought the car, as a toy to play with.

If interested, check him out in Boxter parts on ebay. He is real good with German to English translation (or maybe that is an ebay service) but none the less, he is attentive in communicating and problem solving (took me a few trys to gwt it to work correctly). Now, as soon as I hit 75, I'm looking for the red flashing light..........That does'nt sound righ, does it?

Mark

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh98
I bought this cool gimick from a guy in Germany on ebay. He takes a switch blank from the dash of a Boxster and inserts a red LED attached to a wire harness with pins that slide into one of the gage harnesses. It even came in a little Porsche electrical box.

When you reach 75 mph the LED flashes as the spoiler extends. Once at full extension, the LED stays lit, until you drop below 50 mph, and then it flashes until fully retracted. This guy did some neat (and simple) enginering to handmake an unique little gimick to play with. But then again, that is why I bought the car, as a toy to play with.

If interested, check him out in Boxter parts on ebay. He is real good with German to English translation (or maybe that is an ebay service) but none the less, he is attentive in communicating and problem solving (took me a few trys to gwt it to work correctly). Now, as soon as I hit 75, I'm looking for the red flashing light..........That does'nt sound righ, does it?

Mark
D*mn! You know that you just cost me the price for this and the time to install it.

Though in my opinion, it should have been a GREEN LED (I would reserve red LEDs for a warning of some impending bad situation).

Can you post a link?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #3

Hi,

What a waste!... Do you guys stay up nights wondering if the Refrigerator Light is on??

It always cracks me up when I hear of some peoples' obsession to Know that the Spoiler has been deployed.

Porsche has the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) to visually alert you if it doesn't deploy... not that you'd need it because if it ever fails to - you'll know it in short order - no mistaking it - save your money...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #4

Sounds to me like a VTEC light. If you need a light to know it's there, we have a problem.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #5

come on - give the guy a break - I know that everyone here is guilty of a driving slow next to a glass building or a shiny big rig to catch the reflection of your ride - is that any different?

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote