Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #21

This one of the best posts I have seen addressing the points needed to save our cars and lives.

As the owner of a silver Box, I ditto everyone who avoids blind spots and uses their headlights at all times.

Treat every large vehicle as if it was a large truck.

I'm constantly repositioning myself in traffic.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #22

Garage
My wife just can't get it through her head why I speed a bit on the hwy. I tell her over and over, the safest place to be is in front, not jockeying with everyone going 65-70
I have never raced but have watched racing my entire life, the driver leading the race is the least likely to get hit
I don't feel small in the car driving. The only time I really feel vulnerable and small is riding next to a tractor trailer with the top down and I'm look up at the top of their tires @ 75 mph. Looking at the car in the driveway, top down, next to another car/suv, it really is low

Last edited by kk2002s; 04-14-2015 at 03:47 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 AM   #23
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
It's funny, that I used to have a bright red Volkswagen Beetle (a 2005 convertible) and people would mysteriously "not see me" all the damn time. With DRLs on, too.

I've had fewer issues my Boxster and E320, thankfully, even though I don't have DRLs in either and both cars are gray.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #24

^ loll we get this a lot here too...

If you don't drive a shinny 2014(min)model you almost get run over at the first junction. Headlights on or off

and... flashing back your high beams makes the situation worst in most case lolll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I think DRL is the bomb, very important feature. That's why I want these headlights, but everyone says the quality on them is terrible.
Those lights are sort of allright. Not as good as the oem/bosch of course, but could work for a few years if taken good care of. Problem is the high cost... possibly because few got manufactured I have no idea. Those are seriously not cheap loll

If that's your style, whatever ppl say about them the good news is there are ways to open them up and fix them to your liking (whatever should go wrong). Good friend Paticlewave knows how

I'd wait until they drop between $750~800. I wouldn't pay more personally (ama cheap arse huh)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #25
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Silver Camoflage against grey concrete road

Silver car owner here. It's true, sometimes we just blend in with the road. DRL's help but the tricks have all been outlined. Stay clear of blind spots, avoid being besides tractor/trailer rigs, and assume everyone is out to get you.

As an aside, back in the late 70's (yes I am old) I had a Fial X 1/9 (loved the car BTW) and we were traveling on the hwy between Edmonton and Calgary when a semi trailer beside us blew a tire. Although we didn't get hit with any flying tire tread, the concussion from the blast practically blew us off the road. It took all I had to keep us from heading for the ditch. My wife apparently screamed but I barely heard her since the tire erupted next to my ear and I lost my hearing for a short time. Incredible amount of kinetic energy when one of those suckers goes.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #26
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Those lights are sort of allright. Not as good as the oem/bosch of course, but could work for a few years if taken good care of. Problem is the high cost... possibly because few got manufactured I have no idea. Those are seriously not cheap loll

If that's your style, whatever ppl say about them the good news is there are ways to open them up and fix them to your liking (whatever should go wrong). Good friend Paticlewave knows how

I'd wait until they drop between $750~800. I wouldn't pay more personally (ama cheap arse huh)
I can get them for close to that price. I pm'ed paticlewave about modding them with your gt projectors, but have not heard back from him.

911 996 986 Carrera Projector LED Arrow R8 Headlight Headlamp w O Factory HID | eBay