Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

Newbe Needing Help With a Transmission Problem!!!

I live in a rural area of Ohio and the closest Porsche Dealer is in Columbus 2 hours away. My 2007 Manual Transmission Boxer is stuck in first gear. The stick shift has all kinds on play in it and feel like nothing is connected to it. I have read about the "Cable Issues" and that the gear shift may have come disconnected from the cables. My questions are as follows:

1. Do you agree that this is most likely the cause?

2. Is it an easy fix that I can do? ( I can do the minor stuff, but I can't drop the transmission out of it.)

3. If I can fix it, is it just a matter of going in through the top at the gear shift and reconnecting them?

GAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Sometimes cable ends pop off. Check under the rear. Find both cables and be sure they are connected.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

Actually, I would go to the back of the tranny and see if the cable popped off of the ball
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Thanks That Worked!!!

You guys are the best. If your ever in SE Ohio let me know and I'll by you both a beer. I take it that this common problem. Is there any way to secure them on there better? It just doesn't seem like it's being held on by much.
GAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFO View Post
You guys are the best. If your ever in SE Ohio let me know and I'll by you both a beer. I take it that this common problem. Is there any way to secure them on there better? It just doesn't seem like it's being held on by much.
There's a retaining clip inside the cable head. It's replaceable.

Glad that worked out! Post some car pics and stick around!

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote