Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: GT4, Spyder or GTS?
Cayman GT4 23 46.00%
Boxster Spyder 15 30.00%
Cayman GTS 0 0%
Boxster GTS 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Why would the GT4 be better? If you want the top down why not the Boxster GTS?

I don't live in Cali, but I want to drop the top, that's why I wouldn't go with a Cayman.

Is the Spyder an all weather car? Like can you drive it in the rain and such?
The Spyder top mechanism is still a process that requires that you get out of the car, fidle with the left side, fidle with the right, open the rear trunk, pull down the top, close the trunk and get back in the car. Did you forget something in that trunk, oops repeat process because that trunk doesn't open while the top is down.
All of this could have been avoided with a simple Miata style one-handed manual top that could be lowered right from the driver's seat. Not too practical if you live where it rains ever.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #22

Porsche Boxster Spyder GT4? Yes, Please
Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/56718-porsche-mulling-more-cowbell-boxster-gt4-gt4-rs.html
Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #24

Garage
"Did you forget something in that trunk, oops repeat process because that trunk doesn't open while the top is down."

What do you mean? If the trunk didn't open while the top is down, you'd never be able to put the top back up, ever. The trunk appears to work as normal when the top is down. My bigger fear is that the decklid/trunk is huge, and would hit a garage door opener if it were opened inside.

I used to love the simplicity of the Miata roof, but its just not practical in this case due to the roll bars and windscreen: you'll always have to get out of the car to put the roof down, unless your some kind of 5' 5" gymnast with very strong forearms.

I personally wish they would have done some kind of dual-hinged decklid that also lifted in the front to easily put the top down. But, that would have added weight....

A targa-topped Cayman would be cool, with the same mechanism as the new 911 Targa.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #25

Meaning once the top is down the rear trunk is not accessible without fiddling with the top again.
You have to partially raise the top assembly to allow the rear trunk enough room to clear.

yes, as one piece, the rear deck lid on the Sypder would not work if you want to avoid getting out the car.

I would have brought back the clam shell (incorporating the humps) and worked out a way to lift the clam shell via a manual lever from inside the car that would lift it just enough to allow space so that the manual top could be raised.
The manual top could have been made of very light weight materials on a smooth ball-bearing track. No electronics or motors.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #26

Garage
I watched them open the trunk at the show more than once without touching anything other than the trunk release.

If you are referring to the two cosmetic covers that fold down after the top is stowed, they do not interfere with the trunk being lifted. When putting the top back up, you don't need to even move them out of the way....they fold back once you pull the top up.

Still not the perfect solution, but looks to be much better than the 987 Spyder process.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #27

Garage
Spyder. The GT4 is something you own only for track days.(doesn't mean that's what will happen though)The Spyder is designed as a road car and that's where 90% of all GT4's will spend 90% of their time anyways. We all like to think we need an ultra stiff track monster as a daily but the truth is that the Spyder is more fun on the road. I'd guess only a few tenths separate the Spyder and gt4 on the track, with the best driver. The manual top shouldn't matter. Miatas have manual tops. I wish the Spyder came with an oprtional pdk since its designed to be a road car.
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #28

Garage
I'd actually rather fully option a base Boxster as a daily driver. More creature comforts. 265 bhp in a light, nimble car is enough on the road. I know it would slow on a wide open track but the truth is I've never tracked a car. I've optioned my perfect Boxster which comes out to $86,965. About the same as a GT4 or Spyder. And as for the GTS, it's ugly in the front and has smoked taillights. Gross.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
I wish the Spyder came with an oprtional pdk since its designed to be a road car.
PDK and a 991S engine would be too fast for a Spyder. I can see all the YouTube videos now of a PDK Boxster GT4 passing untold numbers of non-GT3/Turbo 991 Carreras at the track with ease. Such a car with GT3 suspension would be a dream track car.

For racing (and not just DE's) all it needs is a bolt-on roll cage. Mazda are racing their new MX5 cup car with one. Porsche could easily do the same with a Boxster GT4 going up against a Cayman GT4 in a sprint series, both armed with PDK (who isn't racing with paddles today anyways?).
If Mazda can manage to get a roll-cage in a cramped Miata, then Porsche could easily do the same in a Boxster GT4.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
I'd actually rather fully option a base Boxster as a daily driver. More creature comforts. 265 bhp in a light, nimble car is enough on the road.
Agreed. In a recent issue of Panorama, I read that one of the Porsche guys who worked on the 911 GTS Club Coupe drives around in a base Boxster with the PSE. For a guy that can pretty much drive around in any company car he wants, he chose the sound of the small-bore flat six coming through the Sport Exhaust. (apparently a very rare option on 981 2.7)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #31

One thing about Porsche that is never mentioned in this "Cayman is great for the track" talk.

Unlike Chevy and their new C7/Z06, Porsche will not stand by their warranty if you should suffer an engine failure during a track event. This is true for GT3s despite all the built in track durability. So one has to imagine that they'll equally tell you to pound sound in a GT4/Spyder with only GT3 dep't suspension should there be an engine fire, coolant pipes bursting loose, a wheel flying off on fast corner (absurd scenarios for a Porsche granted ) .

I recall an interview with a GT3 engineer who said "the GT3 is like a track car for the street, it is not intended to be driven at the track, despite so many of our customers buying the GT3 only to use at the track". Someone should have reminded him that it's priced like a track car. Actuall a 996 Cup car can be had for less with enough left over to buy a used 997.2 for the drive home.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-16-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
Agreed. In a recent issue of Panorama, I read that one of the Porsche guys who worked on the 911 GTS Club Coupe drives around in a base Boxster with the PSE. For a guy that can pretty much drive around in any company car he wants, he chose the sound of the small-bore flat six coming through the Sport Exhaust. (apparently a very rare option on 981 2.7)
Exactly. Not only can you afford leather and interior goodies with the saved money, but you can also afford all of the performance upgrades. Sport suspension, sport chrono, pdk, sport exhaust, maybe even ceramics ( I've heard they're good on road and never have to be changed for 200.000 miles)