Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
ONF

Sound Trouble

Hi all,

Having a few sound issues and wondering if you could help.

I've got a 2004 Boxster S with the CDR23 and Becker BE6600 amp and cd changer (no BOSE). Its the MOST system. A couple of weeks back the sound cut out and then came back before cutting out for good. No matter what function no sound whatsoever but all functions on the headunit could be selected/seemed to work fine but just no sound came out.

Spoke to my porsche guy and he said most likely the amp has gone. I eventually managed to get a second hand becker amp from eBay America which arrived yesterday. Fitted it this evening and I have now got sound but its very muted/muffled. Lots of bass but way quieter than it should be and the sound is not clear at all.

Any ideas?

Also on the fibre optic 2 pin connector should you be able to see a red light from both the pins or just one? Only got the light coming from the 1 at the moment.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

Garage
Hi ONF, have you tried a multi-meter on the pins of the amplifier to see if all the channels have output. the low end muffled my be coming just from the door speakers, which are base. also as i have done with mine check if there is power feeding to the speakers themselves. on mine as you may see on the other tread i am checking to see if i have a short somewhere.

i have a red light in just the one fiber optic on mine also, i think the other one is from head unit to amp and if you take it off the amp the other one will be illuminated. one side for head unit to amp and the other amp to head unit.

sorry i can't offer much help, i hate auto electric gremlins.
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
ONF

Thanks for that Steve. I'll try the multimeter on it at some point this weekend and see what I can work out. Will check the power to the speakers as well.

Thanks for the tips and hopefully we'll both have proper sound soon!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
ONF

Update after checking with the multimeter. On the amp I have the following voltages:

0.02 Brown
13.93 Red/Blue
6.26 Purple/Brown---------------Purple 6.28
6.17 Green/Brown---------------Green 6.15
7.64 Red--------------------------Red/brown 7.65
13.8 Yellow/Brown---------------Yellow 13.85
13.54 Red/White

With the speakers I've definitely only got sound coming out of the door speakers, nothing from the dashboard speakers. Voltages on the dash speakers are:

Left hand speaker (Yellow & Yellow/Brown wires) 11.8
Right hand speaker (Red & Red/Brown) 7.1

I also checked putting the old amp in and only had power on the red/blue and the red/white wires, nothing on any of the others so that one is definitely not working.

On the back of the radio I'm getting reading of around 12 on all wires apart from the brown which is 0. Fuse seems fine and radio functions all work so guess that's fine. I didn't check the door speakers as they both have sound coming from them. I also checked the main fuses for radio and sound package and they both had 12v also.

Any ideas why the dash speakers wouldn't be working?
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

Do you have the sound package in your car?

That means 13 cm subs in the doors and a 10 cm mid and tweeter in the dash? That is combined with a Becker CDR23 and Bose amp in the front trunk; no sub in the rear.

If that is your system you'll have the opportunity to use the fader in the CDR 23 to fade between the subs in the door and the mid/tweeter speaker in the dash.

As far as i know is the optic cable a two way bus system. One sends, one receives. You can also put slaves in the bus. So one red light should be right. There are special tools that can check if the bus works correctly.

First try the fader function in the CDR23 and tell us what happens.

Next you should check if the cables from the amp to dash speakers work. To do that disconnect the plug at the amp and speakers and check connection with an ohmmeter. Also check the speakers resistance with an ohmmeter. Whereas it's iunlikely that all 4 speakers in the dash die at the same time.

I think it's a connector problem, or an amp problem.

Regards Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 03-28-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
ONF

Hi Markus,

Yes I have the sound package. I tried changing the fader setting but still no sound coming from the dash speakers.

I will try checking the resistance tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #7
ONF

Latest update:

Both dashboard speakers have resistance of 3.9 and continuity.

The cables running from the amp to the dash speakers have a 0.04 resistance and continuity.

Resistance across the connections on the amp as follows:

Purple 0.66
Green 0.66
Red 4.02
Yellow 2.7

I checked the resistance on my old amp (that has no voltage readings across terminals when plugged in) and the resistance values were all the same apart from the yellow terminals had resistance of 3.8

No idea what my testing means but hopefully Markus it might mean something to you!

Thanks in advance