Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 AM   #1

Anyone tried converting a basement into a garage?

I'm thinking of remodeling our basement area into a garage, but don't know the basic things we should be aware of, say we are amateurs with a plan in our mind. The basement is always leaky and we have to fix it with the help of Doctor Rooter, Mississauga basement waterproofing and mending company. I would like to know what all precautions should I take first?

davehoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:57 AM   #2

Better answers should be found here The Garage Journal
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Here major fire codes would apply. Then CO exposure. Garages must be outside the living space and not have living space above unless designed that way. It's not that easy.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

Reminds me of the guy who built a car in his, then digs a hole in the ground, and bust the wall out to get the thing out! Totally wild build and should be made into a movie.

The Bull

Last edited by healthservices; 03-10-2015 at 09:15 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Garage
I would have just kept that car in the house and drove it from the couch to the refrigerator.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Here major fire codes would apply. Then CO exposure. Garages must be outside the living space and not have living space above unless designed that way. It's not that easy.
Same applies here in Ontario, the garage has to be totally gas proofed, and cannot share the same HVAC system.
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Long story short, you can build a basement / garage during construction but you cannot turn a basement into a garage. At least not in a financially viable manner and meet code.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

So involve a structural engineer, and architect and the building inspection unit of your local government. Figure twice as much to plan it as you have mentally budgeted to build it.

I added on a solid brick extra large two car garage but it was alongside the house and I has to put a 8" (IIRC) lip around the half stairs to the basement to prevent low flowing gasses from going from the garage to the basement. When I took the building plans to the local plans approval agency, they took a look and asked me if I was going to park a tank on the slab, it was so freaking over-engineered.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #9

Growing up, my brothers and I kept our Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars in the basement. Voila - it was our garage.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote