Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

Airbag cover cleaning

2000 986 base - 4 spoke steering wheel

I need to give my steering wheel airbag cover a good clean. I think it's been sprayed with cleaner one too many times and only lightly wiped (to aviod the horn going off) so it appears there's a build up.

Am OK just disconnecting the battery (making sure I have the radio code), and then giving it a good clean or do I need to go through the whole airbag removal, taking the charge out etc.? Just very cautious when it come to 20+ year old airbag!!

Thanks

timc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #2

I'd disconnect the battery and wait 20-30 minutes before I'd mess with it. (That's the usual time recommended before you should try to remove it.) I'd be comfortable giving it a good cleaning at that point.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll give thar a go. Will also try and free up the fore/aft movement at the same time. Can't move it at present and when I give it a good tug the horn goes off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I'd disconnect the battery and wait 20-30 minutes before I'd mess with it. (That's the usual time recommended before you should try to remove it.) I'd be comfortable giving it a good cleaning at that point.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

A wet magic eraser will cure your ills....no need to remove the bag. Also, Wipe the eraser on your 'clean' steering wheel and see what happens!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
A wet magic eraser will cure your ills....no need to remove the bag. Also, Wipe the eraser on your 'clean' steering wheel and see what happens!
I would comment that, while this may work, keep in mind that melamine foam is actually a very fine sandpaper. I'd be cautious of surfaces, leather steering wheel being one.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #6

no need to be shy. you can give it a good hard scrubbing without disconnecting anything
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
I would comment that, while this may work, keep in mind that melamine foam is actually a very fine sandpaper. I'd be cautious of surfaces, leather steering wheel being one.
I did use the. Magic Eraser and it worked. But I do agree you need to know when to stop with it, it can clearly do more harm than good.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:41 AM   #8

Magic erasers can also remove dye from leather so be careful as that black stuff you see coming off surfaces may not be dirt.

subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote