Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 06:30 PM   #1

Question Onboard Computer Hack?

Has anyone done the on board computer hack? I just bought my 2000 boxster, and I already have the outside temp displayed under my speed.

From what I've read, it seems that the OBC has already been activated on my boxster. I just don't have the 4-stalk to be able to cycle through the displays? I'm a bit confused about why the car already displays the outside temperature.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

JBG

JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 05:33 AM   #2

I have done over 30 trip computer retrofits on 1997-2003 for local owners, with the stalk or with the switch.

You can see only one display (temp) as you need something to trigger the next displays. When the trip computer was turned on the temp display was chosen as that is what most people want, but it could have been one of the other displays. You are unable to cycle from the temp display to the next display unless you do one of the 'hacks.' Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:33 PM   #3

So, as long as it is displaying the outside temp, the OBC has been enabled? All I have to do now is to either install the stalk upgrade or put in a switch to get to the remainder of the functions?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:12 AM   #4

If you can see the temp then it is on. Just need a switch or stalk to see the rest of the displays.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:02 AM   #5

In my car thats one option I didnt get...my outside temp is not displayed I also dont have the stalk. Any way to turn it on? or do I just not have that option?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:58 AM   #6

All cars have the trip computer and it can be turned on. The instrument cluster from 1997-2000 is different then from 2001 up.

When it is turned on for a 2001-2003 you cannot see anything as the trip computer display is the same as the odometer display. On 2001 up you must have a switch or a stalk to change from the odometer display to the trip computer displays.

On 1997-2000 you do see the trip computer display when it is turned on as the trip computer display is not shared with another display.

What year do you have?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:39 AM   #7

mine is a 2k ....is there any easy way to activate it? I would be happy just to have my outside tempature displayed...
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #8

Post OBC

My understanding is that your porsche dealership needs to turn it on with a PST2. Some say that it'll cost you some, some say that their dealer turns it on for free. Either way, unless you get the stalk installed, you can't cycle through the displays.

Thats what I'm trying to do. It looks like the parts will be under $100, but the actual removal of the airbag, steering wheel, and instrument cluster (to get to the connector) is quite a job.

I know tool pants sells 3 DVDs that show you how to do that hack plus a bunch of other hacks, but it sells for like $100. I'm sure it is a good instructional video though.

Check out http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

Check the bottom for magic mtn dan's pics. That shows some pics of the install.

JBG
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #9

well I guess its a good thing I have a freind coming with a Porsche System Tester 2 later this week while my car is being retuned on the Dyno
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:53 PM   #10

The pictures on Yoseif's site are of Dan and I working on Bruce's car a long time ago. We did 6 trip computer retrofits at the same time. I do it a bit differently now.

I am lucky to know an independent mechanic with a PST2 and when we made the DVD we filmed turning on the trip computer with the PST2 as some dealers still claim it cannot be done. We now sell just a single DVD.

Takes about an hour to do the retrofit with the stalk. Removing the instrument cluster, air bag, and steering wheel is the easiest part of the job believe it or not. Jeff
Old 11-04-2003, 03:53 AM   #11

Well I am not really looking to add the stalk right now, but with the PST2 can my guy just turn the temp display on? Or are there additional things that need to be done?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:30 AM   #12

He can just turn it on without doing anything else on your year.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:00 PM   #13

I will have to remember that later this week when he hooks up to my car

Wish I could buy a PST2 for myself
Old 11-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #14

You're kidding. Removing the dash, airbag and steering wheel are the easiest part of the job? What in the world would be the tough parts then?
Old 11-04-2003, 07:40 PM   #15

There is a 2 piece plastic cover for the steering wheel column. The bottom part has 2 holes for a wire/connector holder, at least on a 2000 up. The older cars do not have this holder. I hate putting that part back on as you cannot see what you are doing. The rest is easy.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #16
Forum Contributor

So, it can or can't be done on a 2000?
EmuMessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #17

Yes, it can be done. You need to have someone turn the onboard computer on by a porsche dealer with the PST2. Then you need to have a switch to cycle through the computer selections.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #18
Forum Contributor

Cool, I assume the PST2 is some type of computer tool.

Has the on board computer be storing data, even if it is not accessible?

This car does show the outside temperature.
EmuMessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:42 AM   #19

The trip computer info is in the instrument cluster, so it is there even if you can't see it.

This is the Porsche System Tester 2.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:05 AM   #20

hehe...they are cool, my buddies is all in German Thankfully he speaks it fluently