Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #1

Selling to a dealership?

Need some perspective here.

I have to unload my 00 S. I'm crushed by this, but the realities are that my health is failing, I can no longer visit in the garage (let alone drive it) so it's languishing without attention, medical bills are mounting, I had to stop working entirely some months back. Wife now works from home because I'm no longer self-sufficient on a typical day, etc. I just have no choice in the matter at this stage. Not trying to drop a "woe is me" story here, it just is what it is.

As a simple physical matter of fact, I can't meet with prospective buyers. Certainly can't go with them for brief test drives for the most serious, can't sustain enough of a voice to even talk to them at any length about the car. So I just don't know how I could do a "normal" sale. Are there brokers for situations like this?

Wife called MAG here in Columbus (Midwestern Auto Group) and spoke to a manager there, and it seems they buy. We would just have to arrange for it to be brought in, and they'd value and make an offer.

I guess my question is, how bad a hit am I going to take going this route instead of listing it in the local paper and/or MORPCA (Mid-Ohio Region PCA) monthly? And either way, does anyone have any suggestions in terms of how we might go about this.

Make no mistake, I don't want to sell. The simple truth, however, is that it seems likely I won't be in any shape going forward to enjoy it, so perhaps it's better that it go to some eager owner who will give it the road time it deserves (suddenly my Boxster is a family pet, lol).

It's a 2000 S, about 44k miles, litronic (spent its early days in Los Angeles, I offer as an excuse), black on gray, brand new top (the window in the original cracked this past winter) from and by the dealership, xenon, de-ambered, 18" Sport Design (10-spoke) rims. Impeccable interior, exceptional paint and exterior -- only one "ding" and it's one of those that only the owner can really find and tell because of their hyper-awareness of everything about their baby. Meticulously maintained. Only the slightest bit of RMS seepage, no where near enough to drip, the kind you'd have to wash the engine to discover. No accidents, never been any smoking, eating or drinking in it, etc. Only thing not stock in it is the Optima battery (which I highly recommend, btw).

Here it is pre-deamber in a pic I used on the MORPCA site;
http://www.morpca.org/member_photo/WBryant_00box-s.gif

Not listing all that in an effort to sell it here, just sharing the details in case it helps create more informed answers and ideas.

Time is an issue. I don't need to sell it tomorrow, but it's a "the sooner, the better" type of situation with everything going on. I should have sold it months ago, but I suspect most here on this forum can appreciate how one might fight being forced to sell tooth and nail in the hope of any alternative.

Anyway, any insight is appreciated. I just don't know what to expect, although it goes without saying that I'm sure they expect to make a profit. The question is can I expect a reasonable offer relatively in-line with what I might make person-to-person off on an ad? If not, how ugly could this get?

Last edited by bryant; 08-03-2006 at 12:52 PM.
bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
bmussatti

bryant, I am very sorry about your current health situation. I wish there were something I could do to help you.

Do you have CarMax by you? I suspect they will give you about $4,000 less than it is worth, so that is an estimate of the "hit" you will take if you go this route. But, it would be a simple process, just take it there, they inspect it, and make an offer to you to purchase.

I will send you a PM with an additional suggestion.

Good luck...and improved health.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #3

Thanks, yeah it's not a good situation, but life happens.

$4k is a big hit obviously, although I recognize my situation is going to create that almost any way I go. Should I expect a similarly reduced offer from MAG?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
bmussatti

I am not familiar with MAG. How far away is Galloway from Dayton?

There are about 6-8 Porsche dealerships in Ohio. I'd call them all and see if any will take the car on consignment. You can get all the phone numbers from Porsche's web site.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I am not familiar with MAG. How far away is Galloway from Dayton?

There are about 6-8 Porsche dealerships in Ohio. I'd call them all and see if any will take the car on consignment. You can get all the phone numbers from Porsche's web site.
Galloway's just a suburb of Columbus, so Dayton is about an hour away. MAG is the only Pcar dealership I'm aware of in the immediate area, but there may be others. Going to poke around porsche.com a bit and see.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #6

I recently sold a Mercedes in order to buy a Lexus. Carmax offered me $3,000 more outright than the Lexus dealer. Obviously I sold the M-B to Carmax and bought the Lexus from the dealer. Many times dealers are not buying your car for their own account. They simply call wholesalers and deduct something for themselves. If I were you, I would do both...let the dealer make a bid and let Carmax make a bid. So sorry for your illness. Good luck to you.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
bmussatti

Bryant, there are 13 dealerships in Ohio:

Here are the contact numbers and locations:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/dealers/