Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 AM   #1

Garage
10 early observations about my first Boxster.

Some early impressions:

1. It's fun. I can't drive it enough. Even when I shouldn't, like today, with another ice drizzle in the forecast, I drove it to work. I find myself making excuses to park the car, run into a gas station for a soda/snack, just so I can stare at the car on my way in and out. That's probably weird.

2. My morning routine now consists of opening up the garage door and doing a walk-around. I envision would my Porsche might look like with Lobster Fork rims and LED headlights (although the 17" turbo twists are starting to grow on me now that I've installed 15/7mm spacers). For the first time in years, I truly enjoy waxing/polishing/detailing a car.

3. I need to upgrade the dash speakers badly and purchase a USB cable.

4. The car is not fast, necessarily, but quick. In a straight line my 2010 Maxima could probably outperform it. But climbing into the Maxima is boring now, almost a chore. I find my foot searching for a non-existent clutch.

5. I love the way this car sounds. Not ricey, and not like my old 67 Mustang, but like a throaty European exotic car should sound. Exit ramps are no longer a menial task as I take third gear into high RPMs. (I spent an hour trying to do the Crios exhaust mod was never able to get the bit started. I have not given up yet).

6. With the top down in the sun, I discovered that my interior is actually Metropol blue, or maybe some other shade of dark/navy blue. I thought it was black.

7. I suddenly see more Boxsters on the road now, when before there didn't seem to be any.

8. Women like this car. Guys will give it sideways glances, try to be cool about it, but women are more obvious about it. As a single guy, I like that.

9. At least in mis-Missouri, the average person has the impression that this is an expensive car. When I tell them it's 15 years old they are shocked. Most ask, "What kind of car is that?"

10. I have quit worrying about the IMS issue. Through some helpful comments here and more research, I've convinced myself to just drive and enjoy. I am thankful it's a double row bearing which (knock-on-wood) seems to be a good thing. Drive and enjoy.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
X GI

Some great observations! I agree with all, my same feelings..no you are not weird.
1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

Welcome and Thanks for sharing

I know how you feel. I recently sold a Boxster and in the listing I included the statement something like, "Once you park a Porsche in your garage, you will never see yourself as you once did."

Admittedly, that implies a certain amount of vanity, but even more than that it says you take motoring serious, that driving is more than just transportation, and that you are finished with accepting automotive mediocrity. I like that attitude.
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

Garage
11 ) Driving the Boxster, no matter how old the car...... it makes one feel like a bloody millionaire............................!!!!Mine does
SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #5

Sharpen the bit for the Crios mod before you attempt it again. It needs to be VERY sharp for it to get a bite and open it up in there.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

So nice to hear a new owner's joy- of- ownership. You're not weird- it's just LOVE! You clearly need more than mundane transportation. May I suggest you occasionally say a prayer of thanks for the original owner's large fork-out of cash. Regarding the Crios mod I suggest you first use a sharp-tipped punch or spike to indent the spot to be drilled. Then use a small bit such as .125, then .25 and then final.
Another bit of un-asked for advice- modify slowly as you can easily lose qualities without realizing/ missing them. This because Porsche is so precise with their end product that it's easy to screw it up.
Oh, and your first mod should be to 'desnorkle'. Trust me.

Last edited by woodsman; 02-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #7

Garage
Yes, welcome to the Slippery Slope......No known cure.

For me, #5 sort of takes care of #3.
15 Cayman S
gerber28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Garage
I used to love my Boxster, until Niki Minaj ruined it for me. Now I can't drive it...

Might pull up in a Porsche, no boxster though

Ok, just kidding, but that is some serious disrespect! :-)

Last edited by Dlirium; 02-20-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Garage
12) After driving 16 hours straight, all I thought about was driving again

With the 'S' I have to disagree with not fast.
4a) the 3.2 is fast and quick. Come onto a hwy in 2nd at 4k+ rpms and your off to triple digits with the next shift
Old 02-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
I used to love my Boxster, until Niki Minaj ruined it for me. Now I can't drive it...

I think I lost 50 IQ points reading the lyrics in that link.

My Boxster is in winter storage and with all the snow and cold we've gotten, I'm convinced the more appropriate lyrics for the car would be "we are never, ever, ever getting back together." My Cayenne is nice to drive, but I'm itching to get the Boxster back on the road. Probably sometime in July, at this point.
pussywillow1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
12) After driving 16 hours straight, all I thought about was driving again

With the 'S' I have to disagree with not fast.
4a) the 3.2 is fast and quick. Come onto a hwy in 2nd at 4k+ rpms and your off to triple digits with the next shift
Naw, they are fun to drive, and quick yes - but no. not fast. Perhaps it is relative, but you have to be sub 5 seconds to 60mph to be "fast" imho.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
still plays with cars...

Garage
[QUOTE=jeepdad;437042]Some early impressions:

5. ... (I spent an hour trying to do the Crios exhaust mod was never able to get the bit started. I have not given up yet).
QUOTE]

Easy peasy... stick a long blade straight screwdriver in the tailpipe & pound on it with a hammer. You just want to get the corner of the screwdriver to slightly cut through the pipe as a spot for the drill bit to start.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #13

Your 10 observations are for real.

If you REALLY want to geek out, get it on a lift and look at the incredible shapes and form quality of the rear upper and lower aluminum suspension arms.

My 2000 S has 2 marked "Made in Italy." and the other 2 marked " Made in Germany." Not decals or cheap paper stickers.Real metal raised areas.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #14

I love this post. Every bit of it is true. Especially the IMS bearing part. I worried and fussed about it while I was searching for a good boxster. I found a great low mileage car and picKed it up and haven't looked back. I will check for flakes upon every oil change but I drive mine everyday. If it hasn't gone bad by now then my constant driving will keep it oiled.

I was a muscle car guy. I have a trans am that dynoed 636 rwhp and 600 lb-ft of torque. Still to me, I can not get enough to driving my Boxster. I love this car and hope to be able to keep it a long time. Only way I would get rid of it is if I need to one day to pull my boat but for now I have friends and a roommate with trucks who are more than willing to go on the water with me so its not an issue. Even if it were I would probably by a beater truck for that and still keep this, I have just never driven something quite like it.
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #15

Great list...matches mine exactly! After a couple thousand miles I feel that I am still sort of getting to know it somewhat. But, every bit I learn, I have loved. There is nothing like taking the hot line in a corner in 2nd gear higher in the rpm range and shifting into 3rd at the exit. Just effortless to drive through fast moving city traffic on expressways. I look forward to getting out of work each day and it renews my spirit every day driving to work. Great stuff.
Wulf190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post

The fact the she hates it, makes me love it more. Dumb bi**h.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
So nice to hear a new owner's joy- of- ownership. You're not weird- it's just LOVE! You clearly need more than mundane transportation. May I suggest you occasionally say a prayer of thanks for the original owner's large fork-out of cash. Regarding the Crios mod I suggest you first use a sharp-tipped punch or spike to indent the spot to be drilled. Then use a small bit such as .125, then .25 and then final.
Another bit of un-asked for advice- modify slowly as you can easily lose qualities without realizing/ missing them. This because Porsche is so precise with their end product that it's easy to screw it up.
Oh, and your first mod should be to 'desnorkle'. Trust me.
First, thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Woodsman ... I took your suggestion and de-snorkeled this afternoon. The snorkel popped right out. Hardest part was getting the vent out (I was fearful of snapping something). Boy was it worth the effort. That 'WAMP!' sound is music to the ears and the way I envisioned this car sounding.

Still no luck with the Crios mod. I even picked up a concrete punch at Lowes. I'm not exactly sure where the holes should go; the pics I've seen look like they start right after the seam and angle up ... while other pics look like the holes are further back into the pipe.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #18
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post

Woodsman ... I took your suggestion and de-snorkeled this afternoon. The snorkel popped right out. Hardest part was getting the vent out (I was fearful of snapping something). Boy was it worth the effort. That 'WAMP!' sound is music to the ears and the way I envisioned this car sounding.

Still no luck with the Crios mod. I even picked up a concrete punch at Lowes. I'm not exactly sure where the holes should go; the pics I've seen look like they start right after the seam and angle up ... while other pics look like the holes are further back into the pipe.
Further back at the bend.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post

Just get one of these like I did.

Craftsman 1/2 in. Extra-Long Drill Bit - Tools - Power Tool Accessories - Drill Bits

It will go all the way through the muffler, I mean all the way out the backside of it lol.

I still haven't ran my car to a muffler shop to get it patched. Will have to record it before I get it fixed, sounds killer though lol.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #20

I've had my 2001 Base for a year now and really like it.

Don't take the following too negatively ...

My previous experience has been mostly with Mercedes with a little BMW thrown in and my first impression of my Boxster was how chintzy and cheap the interior appears.

Especially the steering column and dash switch gear. An outside temperature gauge is an option?

I got over that a bit when I realized the OE jack for this car is aluminum--meaning there is an attempt at keeping things light, so I guess this applies to the interior as well. Are 987 and 981 Boxsters similar?

I now feel pretty foolish but at the same time happy that after a year's ownership I've finally discovered my seats can be set lower than I had them. I need them full back and mine were into the roll bars and there was lots of squeeking as the two upholsterys rubbed each other. But since my upholstery had had it I just installed some salvage seats that are in much better condition (full instead of partial leather, too.) Again, Mercedes was first with seat control switches that look like a seat back and bottom and (yes didn't RTFM) I assumed the controls on the side provided electric lowering/raising and I was just at bottom. It is a bit silly compared to other cars to only have electric control of seatback tilt, but it's not a deal breaker and I'm now really happy to have a lower driving position and headrests no longer contacting roll bars. (This also puts 996 instrument cluster swap back on list of possibilities as in lower seat position I could actually see the outboard gauges and I'm less worried about my knee clearing the OBC stalk.)

I love the steering and it's a nice engine. I now have three cars and three motorcycles and now 5 of 6 have boxer engines. (Type IV in VW Van)

One impressive thing is the brakes. It's pretty cool to have pad wear sensors on all four front pads rather than just one as is the case with Merc and BMW.

2-1/2 Men is nuts that these are "chick cars," as aluminum jacks and pad sensor overkill is boy racer stuff for sure.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 02-23-2015 at 09:43 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote