Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #1

Garage
Dash Clock

I am thinking of using the original 997 sport chrono housing and attaching it to the dash, and putting some sort of clock in it. Thoughts? It's only to mimic the sport chrono look, not that I'll ever really use it. the clock in the picture is the best one I found that matches the porsche number font (looks like 996 gauge font) I feel like this could look really good if done right, or really bad if not. Whether that clock fits in that housing, I have no idea.

OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

search the '6 speed' forum - there's a guy with a diy thread about doing just what you're talking about. he determined that the sport chrono housing will take any 2-1/16 standard size gauge - he used a plx multigauge to provide obd data (and whatever external sensors you get for it - temps, pressures, afrs). one caveat - he did it to a 987 that didn't come with the sport chrono option. if you compare 986 and 987 dashes, you might determine that the larger gauge surround on the 986 doesn't make for a good fit for the pod (often called the 'wart' by 9x7 owners).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
search the '6 speed' forum - there's a guy with a diy thread about doing just what you're talking about. he determined that the sport chrono housing will take any 2-1/16 standard size gauge - he used a plx multigauge to provide obd data (and whatever external sensors you get for it - temps, pressures, afrs). one caveat - he did it to a 987 that didn't come with the sport chrono option. if you compare 986 and 987 dashes, you might determine that the larger gauge surround on the 986 doesn't make for a good fit for the pod (often called the 'wart' by 9x7 owners).
this is just a battery powered clock that doesn't have any other data or use the cars computer, simply for looks and telling time. You just set it like you'd set a wrist watch. Thank you for the info though! Also as far as the gauge pod goes, I would put this housing right in front of the alarm light/sensor thing on the dash. It would be a little far back, but I think it could look good.

Last edited by OklahomaBoxster; 02-13-2015 at 06:41 AM.
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
1999 base

Garage
very interesting idea.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote