Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Garage
CEL flashing, on, gone

The Boxster is the perfect car for a ski trip, right?

I was out driving today, doing a bit over 170km/h on the highway with lots of snow and sleet on the road and the "I just saved your life" (Traction Control) light blinking every now and then.

Just about when I passed the magical 177777km on the odometer, the CEL light started flashing. As the shoulder was completely covered with snow and with other traffic behind me, I coasted to a nearby exit. On the off-ramp, the CEL stopped flashing but stayed on. I parked, read a few threads from this forum on my phone, and continued on with the CEL light on.

I found a mechanic that was (sort of) open on Sunday. He hooked up a BOSCH diagnostic tool and read codes P0300 P0304 P0305 P0306. He cleared them, ran the engine a few minutes, charged me, then set me on my way. I continued driving for another 200km with no further problems.

Ideas?

PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

Garage
CEL flashing is never a good thing. As far as the codes go.. Looks like misfire codes. Use the search function and you will see pages with these codes. My guess is a possible bad coil pack. Good luck!
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

I believe the CEL always starts flashing when someone is doing over 160 kph on icy roads. That's why it's called an idiot light.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I believe the CEL always starts flashing when someone is doing over 160 kph on icy roads. That's why it's called an idiot light.
Good one . . btw, hello to a fellow 'Pegger
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Hi Paulofto. Are you a PCA member? Have we met? I think you are the first Winnipegger aside from myself to come here.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Paulofto. Are you a PCA member? Have we met? I think you are the first Winnipegger aside from myself to come here.
Hey Mark, no I haven't joined the PCA as yet and no we haven't met. I'm just getting rolling with being a Porsche owner. Picked up my 2003 S late last summer and it is in hibernation right now. It's been a steep learning curve with all the scary stuff about IMS, D chunks, and on and on. I picked up an IMS guardian that a 996 owner in Calgary never pput in his car at a good price so that is going on in the spring to help calm my nerves until I do a clutch and IMS job. It only has 72,000 km and is in amazing condition.

So tell me, where in Bomber land do you get your service done? The car was previously maintained at Continental Motors on Wardlaw so I'm curious where you do yours.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #7

So far I've done all my own servicing except for aiming the headlights and balancing the tires, which I took to the Porsche dealership. I think they treated me very well.

D chunks aren't typically an issue for your model year. As for the IMS, it all depends on whether you buy into all the hype and fear-mongering that goes on in here. I always cut my filter apart when doing oil changes and so far have found no particles of any kind (134000 km) so I'm not too worried at this point. I also have the double row bearing though.

I have a fairly well-equipped workshop and would be willing to give you a hand if you want to tackle some of the routine maintenance yourself. I have the motive power bleeder for the brakes and the Uview Airlift tool for coolant.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
LOL. I got a real kick out of that
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #9

Garage
Mark, good stuff. Yes the fear mongering can really get to you, especially the IMS thing. I changed my own oil before putting it away for the winter and did the filter cut/inspection routine as well as straining the oil through cheeze cloth when I drained it. t looks clean and no issues. I plan on doing this and other routine maintenance myself so I might just take you up on your offer for some 'shop' time come the spring. This whole great whit north winter thing really cust into driving time.

I'll send you a private message regarding contact info. It's great to find a fellow Boxster enthusiast so close to home.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #10

Garage
Thanks for the thread hijack.

And thanks for the kind words. I was always under the impression our cars were made to go FAST and that this was one of the reasons we've chosen them.

PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote