Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Push-on electrical terminals for brake switch and bridge plug

I'm doing a cruise control install on my 98 Boxster. I have to add a wire to the existing brake control switch and a few wires to the bridge plugs behind the fuse panel.

I thought I could use standard 1/4" push on terminals. At the brake switch at least, the standard terminals I have fit on the switch contact fine but don't fit in the connector housing.

I think the bridge plugs may be the same thing.

Does anyone know where to get these little terminals? I can't seem to find a reference here, or on Pelican. I don't want the whole connector, just the terminal that goes on each wire. I imagine they are crimp terminals.

Thanks for any info!

DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Reebuck1

Garage
Bridge points

Doug, You jumped the gun a few days to early. I have other problems and I am not sure they are related to this install.

Here is what I know so far. Your original stop light switch had two wires.
One Black(runs from ignition to BS 14/2 and from there to old SL switch)second wire Black/Orange(runs from switch to BS 5.)

New Stop light switch has three wires:
1. hock up old black wire from original SL switch to #1 on new stop light switch.
2. hock up old BK/OR wire from original SL switch which was already run to BS 5
3. run a new wire from the new SL light switch #2 to BS 5
4. run wire from new stop light switch #4 to plug J on cruse control box.

The female plugs that are used for all BS connections are VW part number 000-979-151-EA.

I do not have the part number for female terminal on stop light or clutch switch

You also need to run three more wires to BS 14/2
1. from cruse control box H to BS 14/2 #6
2.run a BK wire from clutch switch to BS 14/2 #8
3.run wire from cruse control steering column switch #2 to BS 14/2 #7

I am in the process of getting Porsche to turn on my cruse control on Tues. and I will then be able to tell you if it all works.

The part number for the female wire connecter that go to you BLUE plug in your
gauge pack are VW part number 000-979-010-E and you have to be really careful when installing them. The wire runs from K on the cruse control box to pin #16 and is split and also runs to pin#8 on diagnostic plug. I do not have the part number for this female connector.

A wire needs to be run from A on cruse control box to BS 1/1

The rest of the diagram is straight forward.

Don't trust anything and double check it all. If you find something wrong please let me know.

Last edited by Reebuck1; 02-07-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Reebuck. I'll go to the Porsche or VW dealers and see if I can get the parts. I made my own wire harness using old connectors.

One question - why does Porsche have to turn on the cruise control? I thought on these old cars the cruise control was self-contained in the actuator. Wire it up and go! Sounds like I was mistaken?
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 AM   #4
Reebuck1

Garage
Wire

You could be right, I will find out Tues. I also have to get the cars computer running and that to has to be turned on by Porsche so I assumed that the cruse worked the same way. I'll let you know.

Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote