Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #21

Pins I have

The pins I have are the ones that fit int he instrument cluster, they are female and also the same ones that fit the stalk wiring harness. If I can help let me know

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #22
Reebuck1

Garage
hope this helps.

HERE IS SOME PICTURES OF MY WIRING HARNESS AS i WAS BEGINNING.

hERE IS A PICTURE OF THE WIRING HARNESS AT ITS BEGINNING. THE PLUG i REFERED TO IS THE BIG 10 PIN BLACK AND GREEN PLASTIC PLUG ON THE RIGHT.
Below is another picture of the plug I have. I used RTV on the wires to hold them in but still did not get a good fit. You may have to try and clean it out to get new wires in.
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #23

Cruise Control Successfully added to 98 Boxster

Success! My 98 Boxster with mechanical throttle now has a working Porsche cruise control. It was a big job, but I think it will be worth it.

I got a used 4 stalk and cruise control module (with partial wiring) and used the directions I found on Renntech.

The hardest part was wiring the bridge points, followed closely by installing the cruise control module to half of my gas pedal assembly.

Now that I have a 4 stalk control, I added the OBC wires so that works too.
I also added rear speakers, changed the front speakers, changed to a CDR-220 and added and iPod cable. It’s like a new car now!

I went for a test drive and all the functions work. It seems to hold speed very well. I check the brake and clutch disconnects too.

The only thing I noticed on the test drive is left turn signal needs a little extra pressure to work reliably. It is a "new to me" switch as it was on the used 4-stalk. Of course the switch on my 2-stalk worked fine. I don't think they are interchangable. Always something But I have cruise control
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #24

Garage
Congrats!

I'm about to do the same. Presently collecting all the parts.

A write-up (and pictures AND PART NUMBERS) for the bridge point connections would be much appreciated.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #25

Garage
Okay, so I went to my PIWIS-equipped mechanic yesterday. We couldn't find any Cruise Control coding in the DME or Instrument Cluster. Is it possible my car wasn't equipped with the right software? It's a MY99 base model.

Also, (WTB wanting to buy:
* plug for Stop Light Switch
* "BIG 10 PIN BLACK AND GREEN PLASTIC PLUG"
* VW wire 000-979-010-E
* OBD2 socket pin
Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #26

That's because the 99 has a mechanical throttle and a mechanical cruise control. There is nothing to activate in the DME.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
That's because the 99 has a mechanical throttle and a mechanical cruise control. There is nothing to activate in the DME.
Thanks, Mark. Is there a light in the instrument cluster? I didn't see it there. Definitely not in the bottom row of lights.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #28

Garage
Talking Yay! Installed and working!

Yay! Installed and working!

This Monday, I took all the info so kindly provided by all the posters in this thread and the parts I've been collecting for the past few months to a local car audio guy. He helped me put in my Becker navigation system and agreed to help with this.

After eleven (11) hours in the shop (!), all is well and my car now has option M454 "Tempostat" cruise control.

Some notes on what worked and what didn't:
  • A - The connector for the Bridge Points is available from Porsche as part 999.650.320.22 or 999.650.321.22 (looks like the only difference is the cable gauge it connects to). Getting to the panel behind the relays and connecting this was easier than I thought, although it was time-consuming.
  • B - You don't need the entire VW wire 000-979-010-E. These connectors are available separately from online retailers. Connection to the instrument cluster was really simple...
  • ...but I broke my hazard switch / turn signal relay when pulling it out. Fortunately, I had a spare.
  • ...and the bulb for the cruise control light was already installed, which was a surprise.
  • C - As I couldn't locate an original connector for the additional cable that goes in the stop light switch plug, I used a regular 6.3mm spade. The trick was to drill out the mounting position in the plug for this to fit.
  • D - More problems. The OBD2 plug female connectors that I ordered did not fit the plug installed in the car. I had to leave this unconnected. If anyone has the right female connectors, please message me!
  • E - This bolt should go through the hinge in the accelerator pedal assembly. Removal was hard but reinstallation was impossible. I don't know why, but it just didn't want to screw in. I left it out as I'll be removing the pedal assembly for an upcoming project.

Overall, the process wasn't very hard, just lengthy. The hardest part was screwing in the cruise control control unit. I can still feel my back hurt from the time laying under the dash, trying to maneuver around the pedals and stuff to get at the screws.

If anybody needs parts A and B, I have some that I can send out for the cost of postage. If you have a OBD2 plug female connector pin, I'll gladly accept one.

Again, thanks to all the posters here for your support. You guys are great!