Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Tire Presure Monitoring..

I have a 2007 Boxster S and I reset my tire pressure system. I get the message "TPC monitoring is inactive. System is learning" and the tire symbol. Normally, the message and the symbol go away after you drive the car approximately 20-30 miles, or so. It is not going away. Any suggestions. Could the tire sensor batteries be going dead? Could the sensors just be disconnected?

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

Garage
The sensors can't be "disconnected" as they are inside the wheels and wireless. You need to have access to a PIWIS or capable scanner to see what codes/PID readings are present.

It will require a scanner of some advanced capability to find the culprit to your issue.

Skoot
Skootnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetekouw View Post
I have a 2007 Boxster S and I reset my tire pressure system. I get the message "TPC monitoring is inactive. System is learning" and the tire symbol. Normally, the message and the symbol go away after you drive the car approximately 20-30 miles, or so. It is not going away. Any suggestions. Could the tire sensor batteries be going dead? Could the sensors just be disconnected?
Sounds like one or more of the TPS sensors is on the way out (they have batteries in them that only last 4-6 years). Someone with the correct TPMS scanner can read the sensors and tell you which one it is, but if one is gone, the other will follow. To change them, you need to dismount the tires, so it isn't going to be cheap.

As for turning the system off, yes, it can be done with the correct equipment; but no one will do that as this is a federally mandated safety system, and turning it off means exposing your self to a liability claim if something happens afterwards, such as an accident caused by loss of control. We get request to do this all the time, and we will not do it, even though we do have the capability.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

Garage
Funny, just went through this on my 2008 S this past week.

Yes, all four of your sensors are dying, or near end-of-life.

I priced the Porsche OEM replacements and discovered they cost $150 apiece. That's $600 for all four.

Purchased these 3rd party sensors at half that cost, installed, reset the system, and now everything is happy.

Good luck!

dw
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Wow, remarkable timing. My left front sensor went out ths morning, and according to this thread, the others will follow soon. I'm due for tires soon, so I'll just live with the warning until then. Great tip on the aftermarket sensors - thank you!

DaveGee
2008 Boxster S
DaveGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

BTW, how do you reset the TPMS?

DaveGee
DaveGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post
BTW, how do you reset the TPMS?

DaveGee