View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetekouw View Post
I have a 2007 Boxster S and I reset my tire pressure system. I get the message "TPC monitoring is inactive. System is learning" and the tire symbol. Normally, the message and the symbol go away after you drive the car approximately 20-30 miles, or so. It is not going away. Any suggestions. Could the tire sensor batteries be going dead? Could the sensors just be disconnected?
Sounds like one or more of the TPS sensors is on the way out (they have batteries in them that only last 4-6 years). Someone with the correct TPMS scanner can read the sensors and tell you which one it is, but if one is gone, the other will follow. To change them, you need to dismount the tires, so it isn't going to be cheap.

As for turning the system off, yes, it can be done with the correct equipment; but no one will do that as this is a federally mandated safety system, and turning it off means exposing your self to a liability claim if something happens afterwards, such as an accident caused by loss of control. We get request to do this all the time, and we will not do it, even though we do have the capability.