Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Garage
strange behavior with ignition switch.

Strange behavior with ignition switch.
Stopped for gas today and when I got ready to start up again the key turned completely around in the ignition with no resistance at all. It was like there was nothing connected to the back of the switch at all. Wiggled it around a bit, took it out and put it back in and it worked as it should, and has done so for half a dozen more times. Not sure what happened, but something is obviously amiss so I plan to change the switch as soon as we get off our trip (assuming it works until then).
Anyone had a similar experience and have any insight as to what could be the problem

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

Garage
99% probability that you need to replace the electrical portion of the switch. Numerous posts on that topic. A super talented, good looking guy on the forum started this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html

The only other suggestion I would make: read the entire thread I linked to. Midway through it, another member proposes an alternate method which sounds easier. It does, however, require a special, flexible screwdriver.

Last edited by kjc2050; 01-18-2015 at 05:16 PM.
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #3

Definitely super talented!

And when my switch failed it was exactly as you described, key spun all the way around and I had to fiddle with it to get it to pop back...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Yep, exactly what mine did the last time it failed.
Buy two switches while you are at it, I always keep a spare in the tool kit now along with the stubby screwdriver. Never know when it will go out again. The last time it broke I was 12 miles away from home, with the spare switch sitting at home in the workshop. Once you have changed it out, it is easy to do again.
I took apart the broken switch to see what was going on inside of it. I found that the insides of the switch has thin plastic tabs that break from the constant twisting motion on them. I'm on my third switch now.
Who was that other member?
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 01-18-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Garage
Got home and changed the switch and it appears to be fine now. Very easy job if you are a dwarf with 3 foot arms with an elbow every 6 inches. Since I am not it was a bit more time consuming. However, I work much cheaper than a Porsche dealer. At the small cost for the switch I will definitely get an extra for the emergency kit.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote