Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #1

Brake Pads - Replacement Estimate.

Guys,

I had the "Service Wear Brake Pads" light come on my 2005 Boxster (987). I had been noticing excessive brake dust on the wheels over the last few months.

So I took it to my regular Indy shop; he tells me I do need to replace all 4 brake pads. 10% rear and 20% fronts. He's given me an estimate of $1,909. This includes the brake pads, sensors, brake fluids, all labor & parts essentially.

Does this sound reasonable? Just wanted to get an opinion as this is my first major repair job on the car?

Thanks.

luci5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
that seems a bit high
What pads and rotors
Did they give you a detailed estimate?
Brake pads and rotors are a fairly easy DOY
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

The OP doesn't mention rotors - just pads, sensors and fluid.
That's very expensive - as JayG says, the pads and sensors are easy DIY. If you check out Pelican Parts, you can order all the bits on line for less than $300 which is a lot less than what your shop quoted you....
Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #4

I don't know which ones, but yes it does include Rotors also, all four of them. Rotors, Pads, Sensors, Fluid.

I'm not a DIY guy so this will definitely need to be done at a shop. I would start off with much simpler tasks for the DIY projects; not all this.

I checked with another automotive in Pasadena and their rough estimate on just the parts seemed to be higher, so that does give me some comfort.

I'll get you guys the break-up in here as well.
luci5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

if you are not need of rotors, seriously, just buy the pads and sensors and do it yourself. If you can jack up a car and change a flat tire, you can do pads. the porsche brakes makes pad changes simple.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Brakes are really simple, but also really important. I'd avoid starting there as a DIY. What kind of parts are being installed? If they are OEM (doubtful) and you don't want to do it yourself pay to get it done. If you're worried about paying to much, price the parts online so you can see what the labor is costing you.

Do pay attention to the parts that are going back in. You don't want poor performing brakes after they have been replaced.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

Garage
I recently replaced pads, sensors & brake fluid flush on a customers 2005 Boxster for under $500.

How many miles on this car?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Run

I did ceramic pads cross drilled and slotted rotors and new sensors for less than 400 DYI. Up until then I had never done a brake job on anything. Mostly because I'm lazy but its really easy to do.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #9

Yeah $1900 sounds really high. If yours is a base? Go to ctek website and search for some rotors, premium ceramic pads, sensors can be under $10 each. You could get all parts for around $300 or less? Pay somebody to install them and save over $1000. $1900 is way to high. I can get you exact parts and links on Monday if you want.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote