Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Interior Refurbishment

Hi all, just wanted to pass along that I had the interior of my Box refurbished last weekend, and it went great. I wish I could post before and after pictures, but all I have is a few after shots. The main issue I was intending to address was a ripped/worn through area on the driver's seat where my wallet rubs. I looked into re-upholstery and even new seats, both of which were too expensive. I found these guys on the internet: Magic Touch Restoration, in so Cal. They patched the area with a vinyl repair compound, smoothed it out, sanded it down and applied a dye coating to match perfectly. The repair site is completely invisible and the seats look like new (although nothing was done to the padding). The center console was similarly refurbished, as was the steering wheel and the door arm rests, dash and door panels. From what I can tell, its great and well worth the money. Way better than going to a re-upholstery shop if you can help it. Just thought I'd pass this along!

Last edited by Dave2001S; 01-12-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

Looks great. I'm curious to see how it will hold up. Does the center console refinish look like the factory finish?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

I'm curious about that as well, and will let the group know. Yes, the finish on the center console and the seats are, at least in my humble view, like factory. That is, it is not shiny but rather more like a flat or dull finish. They recommended to me to keep products like Armorall off everything, as that gets surfaces greasy. At a minimum, the repair to the worn leather seems undetectable, and saved me a lot of money. At least for now.
Cheers-
Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Your passenger seat appears to have water damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
Your passenger seat appears to have water damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
must have scared the piss out of the passenger :P
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Good observation, I think that's right. It was there when I acquired the car. May have been a pet stain, or worse. Its much less visibly apparent now, although the mental aspect will always be there I guess.....
Thinking of going with sheepskin seat covers to protect it from here on, any recommendations?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

I don't think you need covers i owned my boxster for 12 years with no issues. I shut the windows and top when not in use and if i ever got caught in the rain i would just drive faster. Water doesn't enter the cabin above 50 or 60. The only reason why the seat cushion shows the wear is that its the only leather part on the vinyl seats. It doesnt look too bad i just noticed it.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

Shows what I know, I wasn't aware that the other parts of the seats were vinyl!