Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Garage
A modern barn find

I thought you guys might like to hear about my latest project:

I am involved in getting the first race track up here in Iceland and we hope to get the asphalt down next spring or summer. We are working on all the permits „as we speak“. I have a Boxster with a self assembled 3,6 sleeved engine that I have been using on the roads and intend to use it on the track in the future. See my post about it her. As I intend to participate in races, I realized that it would involve a full cage and that means giving up the soft top and open air driving that I have grown to like a lot. So I began to think of other possible track cars. So I here is where my latest p-car acquisition comes in.
I heard about this 996 GT3 a few years back, but it followed the story that it was not for sale and would not be. Well, this summer after having considered transforming my 924 into a track car, getting a second Boxster to build/transform, getting an old air cooled P-car, importing an old cup car, or even buying something non P, like a Lotus Exage, I started thinking about the GT3 again.
It is an ´05 996 GT3 with It was imported from the US in 2007 with 3500 miles on the clock with a salvage title, after an incident where the rear right wheel had broken lose and the half axel thrust against the gearbox. It broke the bellhouse in the process, and set the engine on fire. The car stood for a while at the only Porsche dealer in the country, the engine stood for a while at a Porsche workshop, but no one knew were the car was. The only thing I knew was the first name of the owner and the fact that he had once owned a certain gokart track. But with help from Google and with this information I managed to find his full name and then a few possible phone numbers of the few persons with that name. It took me three months to get him to show the car to me, and then a few more weeks to negotiate the price, which ended within my bargain range, not too steep for a car of this caliber, counting in the estimated repair cost.
There are a lots of missing parts, there among half the intake manifold, plenums, throttle body, airbox, flywheel, clutch, starter, rear sway bar and alternator, both mufflers are gone and someone had stolen the wheels and all he lights. Now Iceland is a small country population-wise so one would think that that it would be very difficult for parts from such a rare and high-profile car to go missing. I think I know pretty much where most of the parts are/went. But it is still not easy to go around accusing people and it is not really me they stole it from, but the former owner. So in the mean time I have began acquiring parts and intend to strip it and track it hard sometimes in the future..........

There is no replacement for displacement

Last edited by Bfan; 01-07-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Cool cool, keep us posted!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Garage
Congratulations, that's as cool as Iceland! JB weld should have you banging gears in no time! Might want to watch 6speedonline.com parts classified for other parts.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #4

Great story. Good luck with your build. The chase can be more fun than the acquisition.

You might want to watch for a smashed GT3 on this website. It's kind of a funky system to bid on, but you might find one smashed in the front that has the parts you need in the rear.

Online Vehicle Auctions Copart USA: Salvage & Used Cars, Trucks & More
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

Garage
Bypro, very funny.....and thanks for the link husker, as the parts for these things are not cheap, I might as well be a little creative......but luckily a few parts have 986 part number, like the alternator and the MAF sensor.

There is no replacement for displacement
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Garage
The orange mirrors make it look like a RS