Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Garage
New member saying hi and a question!

Hello all, finally joined. I've been a lurker for a while trying to absorb all of the information on this forum about my car! My newest addition to my family is my 2000 boxster. I looked at a dozen or so before deciding on this one. Love it so far. Even though on my 5th day of driving it, merging onto the highway, under normal acceleration, the car went BOOM! Of course I feared the worst (IMS, engine or transmission implosion ). After a tow to my mechanic, he found that my driver side CV axle had come out of my transmission, spinning around and causing quite a bit of damage! Even broke a piece of my subframe. Anywho, the seller had the clutch replaced about a week before I bought it ( I have invoice) at a local indie shop. They did not properly torque the bolts down. So, about $500 later, it's back on the road. I am at 80,000 miles, I have a lot of the service records, it was very well maintained.

My question is this; what kind of wheels are these? I've looked at a whole Lotta 986's online and havn't seen one with this set. Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by Redboxs; 01-05-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

Garage
Lol, sideways picture. Sorry, I had a really hard time getting it to upload from my phone! Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

Garage
They look like Turismos by Victor

http://www.victorequipmentwheels.com/Porsche-wheels-rims-turismo.php
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
if the indy had replaced the clutch and did not properly tighten the bolts, why did you pay $500 to fix it. They should have fixed it at no charge
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
They look like Turismos by Victor

Turismo Porsche Wheels by Victor Equipment
Aha! Thanks!

As far as the Indie shop... Ok, so I called the shop once my mechanic found the problem. They looked up the invoice (I had a copy in hand) and said they they would NOT warranty their work, as I was not the person that paid for the work ( the dealer did). Even after talking to management, I still didn't get anywhere. So, we did the minimum on repairs, bent underbody back in place, bought a CV axle from a scrap yard, ordered new hardware from my local Porsche dealer, and put it back together. It's winter, it's not going to get driven much. So, my mechanic and me decided that come spring time, we would do a CV axle rebuild, new subframe, and underbelly. So... basically, that shop is very shady. It's even a shop suggested on this forum!!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Congratulations on your Boxster and welcome!

If you've been lurking awhile, you know the rule - let's see some pic's of your new ride!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

Congrats and pics are mandatory! Sorry to hear about your initial ownership experience, but don't let that leave a sour taste. Keep up the maintenance and you will enjoy your new toy for years to come.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Garage
Pictures as requested!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

Garage
Posts didn't make it earlier for some reason. Indy shop refused to pay because I didn't pay for the work. The dealership did.

Last edited by Redboxs; 01-05-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboxs View Post
Posts didn't make it earlier for some reason. Indie shop refused to pay because I didn't pay for the work. The dealership did.
Then you should have a conversation with the dealer who paid for the work and insist on a refund. I had to take a dealer to small claims once for ****************ty work they paid an indy paint shop to do on a truck once. I got an estimate from another shop to fix the job, took it to a judge, and told the dealer to pay me. It was great cause the judge was a car guy and even went out into the parking lot to look at my truck and immediately told the dealer the work was "substandard for such a vehicle".

Take your invoice to the dealer, tell them what happened, and if you do not get reimbursed, mention a trip to small claims.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #11

Garage
The Indy is Eurosport in Norman, Ok. I've talked to ther manager several times. Our last conversation he told me to hire an attorney. The dealership is standing on the "Sold as is" law. Shady all the way around.I may take them to small claims, but given their is a loophole in consumer law here in Oklahoma, stating that services only have to be warrantied to the consumer that paid for them. I even tried to get the dealership to drop my car off in their name. No help. It's ok, more of a life lesson

Last edited by Redboxs; 01-05-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

Garage
It's pretty messed up that the indy will not back their own work! Were they the shop that did the repairs after you took possession of your car? If so, it sounds like that shop needs to be black-listed!
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #13

Garage
I have a mechanic in the family that did the repair for me ( Replaced CV axle and subframe) Eurosport is the shop that failed to properly torque the 6 bolts that hold the CV axle to transmission, causing the damage. I tried several times to get eurosport to fix it ( I was going to have it towed). They declined my warranty, saying it was void. So, had my mechanic fix it the right way. Extremely shady work for any shop. The Eurosport work was done 58 miles before CV bolts fell out . I would never suggest anyone go there as they do not warranty their work, and obviously don't know how to use a torque wrench

Last edited by Redboxs; 01-05-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #14

for a couple of bucks in labor Eurosport could have saved themselves this bad press.

Rick
SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #15
Track rat

Garage
Legally they are probably not required to warrant their work to you. Ethically? Bad form and a lot of ill will generated over this. How much would this have cost them to fix and have a loyal client for life vs how much they will need to spend on advertising to gain the same loyalty. A no brainer really. They should have fixed it even though the law says they are not required.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboxs View Post
It's ok, more of a life lesson
Great attitude!

Guards Red on a Boxster looks great. Enjoy.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #17

Wow I cant believe Eurosport didn't stand behind their work. That is good to know to not go to them. I have will have to get the name of the shop my wife's former boss's shop he uses. He has taken his old air cooled 911 to them for years. I know the bimmer guys speak highly of Eurosport but good to know to keep them away from the box.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #18

I somehow missed this post. That Boxster looks familiar, did it by any chance come from Automax in Norman?

Also good to know about Eurosport. Even though I already have a good shop, I'll be scratching this one off my list of potential back-up shops. Sorry you had to go through that.

Either way, you ended up with a beautiful machine!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

Garage
I like how the S*****ty shops get ratted out on here. Eurosport blew it.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #20

Yes integrity gets more rare everyday. Bad luck for you and bad Karma for them. I've had some experience with poor workmanship too, enough that I'm back to doing it myself. I'm sure you'll love your car.