Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #21
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Or maybe the Zehn in matte black (I had to go with a 987 to get the image):

...ok, that was the last post.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I was worried if I could lower it? I want to go with the ROW M030 Suspension Kit which lowers the rear 10mm and the front 20mm.

The rear wheel size is 20x10.5. Tire width is 275 = 10.83 " and the diameter is 673 = 26.5". The offset is 40 so I might be able to get by with a 5mm spacer although comparing to the original wheel the new wheel would be 7mm further in. I would think Porsche left 2mm of play room there?

I didn't scroll through all of the replies, but the statement above seems to represent a contradiction in goals. If you want and like the look of "20s" then go for it.

If you want increased handling performance than go with the ROW M030.

Having 20s and increased handling performance on a 2800lb car with suspension that was not designed to handle anything bigger than 18s is probably not going to happen without huge investment.

I ran my 2002 S with 18s for a while and went back to 17s with 225s up front. This is the best combo for this chassis in my humble opinion. The car handles beautifully at 6 to 7/10ths. I've driven a lot of cars in anger and a 986 riding on 17s with high quality plus 1 rubber on the front is still one of the best handling street cars on the road.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:10 AM   #23

Quote:
So I got contacted BC with the wheel I liked and about size and fitment. They gave me a quote of $4,800 for the set of wheels.
Did you bargain a tad?!

Knowing your taste by now, I'm guessing you selected the sexiest & lightest model wheel they have lol. Offer them $4k cash, shipped, and I'm sure they'll break to that.

$3k is about what we get those for here (smuggled into China from HK I'm sure lol). Add your USA based dealer's shipping cost/import tax + his cut to that and you are looking at about a 4K deal from the state side. Reasonable deal I'd say

Bear in mind, you'll have some of the best looking and lightest wheels around for little money and also "you can resell those". Forged 6061AL wheels don't loose much value compared to an ebay cast wheel that has no resale value whatsoever. I often get pretty generous offers from other pcars guys around here for mines... wheels for sport cars are like shoes for women, GOT to shine lol
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #24
Need For Speed

Garage
Yeah they are Forged T6061 Aluminum wheels, these here.

Not sure I like the front offset he came up with. I want an 19x8 front and 19x10 rear wheels. I asked him what the offset would be on those and he said ET50 front ET40 rear. The rear would work perfect, but I think the front needs to be ET45. Anyways I doubt I go that direction as that cuts into my suspension money. I was really looking at going no more then $2,200 for wheels, tires and any spacers needed.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Yeah they are Forged T6061 Aluminum wheels, these here.

Not sure I like the front offset he came up with. I want an 19x8 front and 19x10 rear wheels. I asked him what the offset would be on those and he said ET50 front ET40 rear. The rear would work perfect, but I think the front needs to be ET45. Anyways I doubt I go that direction as that cuts into my suspension money. I was really looking at going no more then $2,200 for wheels, tires and any spacers needed.
and that wheel is just a rendering. just imagine the real forged thing on a freshly detailed Porsche car.... low profile tires, clean calipers... you'd freak out I think. You can also tell just by touching it - gods metal feeling. Mounted on any pcar model, doesn't matter.

Very unfriendly wheel and not cheap I agree but you get half of your money back when you sell the car, pffff lol Might as well borrow some nice rollers in the meantime. Very unfriendly as = you should see how "total retarded" I look like sometimes especially when backing up my car somewhere I'm not familiar with. Not to mention looking at a pot hole in front of you real-time.... you almost see your whole life memories flashing in a half-a-sec lol (I grew up poor apparently!)

Sometimes I think people not spending more than 300~500 on a wheel are the smartest. On the other hand, if you are to keep your pcar toy for another 20* years then I say you'd be silly to buy a cast wheel

Depends mate. I know where you are at atm, was looking for wheels not very long ago. "good luck" lol
Old 01-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #26

I think the one you initially spotted are the ones (ur other wheel thread). Looks so nice and although cast, their spoke design will make up for a light, nice and reasonably priced wheel. I'd do everything you can to get those if I were you....

I give up, won't be commenting on your wheel thread anymore

Subscribed anyway!