Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #1

Can my kids ride in my new Boxster?

I've been trying to find an answer to this question. I've read the Washington State child safety laws, but I can't find any mention of 2-seat cars. Right now my kids are in boosters; can they legally ride in my Boxster?

HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:41 AM   #2

Probably not a 986. The issue is not the kids in front, it is that you don't have safety airbags (you can't disable the passenger side airbag). Not only illegal, but they could be seriously injured in a crash by its deployment.

"Porsche Everyday" doesn't apply to the 986 hahah.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #3

Garage
Their should be another seatbelt clip under the passenger seat, if you have an "porsche booster" you can plug it into this belt and it will disable this bag, I'm sure someone on eBay may sell a switch though.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #4

I believe you need a deactivation bar and only the dealer can program that ecu. Depending on your dealer, your mileage may vary. Here is a discussion on one that was on sale a short while ago:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/53052-fs-child-booster-seat-deactivation-bar.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Their should be another seatbelt clip under the passenger seat, if you have an "porsche booster" you can plug it into this belt and it will disable this bag, I'm sure someone on eBay may sell a switch though.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #5

I've been doing a lot of research in this very subject lately. It seems that if you keep the passenger seat all the way back it should be fine. The side airbags are curtain style that deploy straight up. If you want, you can buy the equipment to disable the airbags. I think Suncoast has a child seat for kids up to 80 lbs for our cars. Anyone with more information, we'd love to have it.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Not sure where I've read that kids are so much less prone to injuries in car crashes than a teen or adult. Smaller size, less weight, bones softer, faster recovery time... etc..... etc

So I guess if its okay for the wife and big kids, its okay for mini Tod/ette
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIam View Post
I've been trying to find an answer to this question. I've read the Washington State child safety laws, but I can't find any mention of 2-seat cars. Right now my kids are in boosters; can they legally ride in my Boxster?
If you have a 2006 Boxster or newer, 987.1, 987.2 or the 981 series, they have smart air bag technology, and automatically default to "off" if they sense less than 90 (give or take) pounds. So, a booster seat is just fine. I did just this for many years with my young daughters.

Most State laws allow young children in the front seat, of a 2-seater car, with the proper child/booster seat, and restraints.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
For the 986, you can install an airbag deactivation bar, which disables the airbags on the passenger side. You will need a PIWIS to activate it.

The deactivation bar uses a special Porsche buckle, but you can modify a 944 seat buckle if you want to use a non-Porsche car seat.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

A 2005 Boxster 987 did not have smart air bags. Not until 2006.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #10

This is the deactivation bar you'll need for the child safety seat.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Registered Boxster abuser

I believe it is perfectly legal to put a child up front if you have no other seats. Its when you have rear seats where it is illegal. Now is it safe to put a child up there? Well thats why the is a law to put kids in the back.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I assume my insurance rates went down when I went from a New Beetle to a Boxster because Porsche owners are more careful drivers, as a class. So, be a good Porsche driver and don't worry about the kid in the front seat (any more than you would ordinarily worry about the other idiots on the road).

I have the deactivation bar and child seat for my 35-lb granddaughter. I figure I'll fabricate a dummy clip for the deactivation bar, when the time comes to move her into a booster. And if she gets a little sister or brother ... I guess I'll have to buy another seat. And a 911.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
I assume my insurance rates went down when I went from a New Beetle to a Boxster because Porsche owners are more careful drivers, as a class.
One of the main reasons your insurance dropped is because a Boxster is a 2 seater. A Bug is a 4 seater. Less liability. Less $$.