Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Finally back in the saddle!

Hey folks. I just endured 8 years without a Porsche. I've been suffering miserably. I'm saving for a nice classic 911, but then I came across a $4k Boxster...

It's in very good condition....white, 1997. It has some common minor cosmetic issues, easily fixable if I choose. It's under 100k mi, has been responsibly serviced, never tracked, and I know and trust the owner. I'll be driving it home, from L.A. to Seattle, next week. I've never driven a Boxster, but by the time we get home, I'm sure we'll be old friends.

It will take a little longer for that classic 911, but now the wait won't be so mortifying. And actually...from what everyone says about these cars, I think I might just be having the time of my life.

P.S.
I bought this largely based on the rave reviews all you Boxster owners give, so you're all on the hook

HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Welcome to the club and forum! I bought in LA too. Many to choose from.

You won't be disappointed.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #3

Unfortunately, I haven't even seen my new Boxster, and may not until I arrive in LA. All I have is a good verbal description of it's history and condition. I bought it sight-unseen.

So not so much as a picture to share yet. But I can tell you my Boxster will receive a proper name, and live next to Sophia, my '61 Ragtop Beetle. They'll make great bunk mates

Since these pictures were taken I've replaced the top, restored headliner to original materials and cut, and added pop-out windows in the back. I really need some updated pics.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #4

If the IMS bearing hasn't been replaced, do it now. Welcome to 986 ownership. They're fun to drive, but a 4000 dollar car can quickly reach 987 prices.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #5

Helluva deal, congrats!
Recently bought one (that also came from L.A.) For $4500. Had it thoroughly gone through by an expert and had to dump $3,000 in it to make it 100% healthy, but it has been a great car and was worth it. Be prepared for something similar on yours. In the end though it will still be a lot of car for the money.
Be sure to post pics when you pick it up. A trip log would be cool too.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
Helluva deal, congrats!
Recently bought one (that also came from L.A.) For $4500. Had it thoroughly gone through by an expert and had to dump $3,000 in it to make it 100% healthy, but it has been a great car and was worth it. Be prepared for something similar on yours. In the end though it will still be a lot of car for the money.
Be sure to post pics when you pick it up. A trip log would be cool too.
I'll have to replace some under-body panels for sure. The roll bars have lost some plastic. The top has been replaced once, but now the window is foggy again. I suspect a plastic polishing kit may fix the back window, based on the description.

There are a couple more issues, but this is the list of things I care about. Mostly I think it needs a good cleaning...which is great for the Boxster, because my garage is my own little detail shop. She's going to have a privileged life while under my roof.

Looking at numbers online, it appears this Boxster may be about a half second faster than the Cayenne S I drove. My Cayenne S was a lot of fun, so this is encouraging. I much prefer twists and turns to top-speed driving, so I suspect I'll be satiated.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy your mid-engine Porsche experience.

You don't need to be in a hurry to change the IMSB. Wait til you do the clutch. 97-99s had a better design than 01-04s. But it's up to you.

I bought a 77 VW conv as this yr's winter project. It didn't run when I bought it in late Sep and it's been in various stages of running since then. Currently in a no-run state. I'm going to name her Sybil because of all her personalities. My plan is to have her ready to sell when the weather improves. She's got good bones, just need her to behave a bit better.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 12-27-2014 at 05:05 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #8

I'm loving seeing all the air cooled VW owners in here.

That's the winter project I bought in 2012. Still isn't on the road yet. I got carried away detailing it. Also have a 71 Ghia and my wife has a 73 Thing.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Love all the old VWs on here!
I used to have 3, but still have my favorite one, a '68 European model that I literally discovered in a barn out in the middle of nowhere. According to the tag and papers, sat there for nearly 30 years.
Fresh from the barn:

After the refurbish:
Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #10

Those old bugs look so cool- so old. Really neat to see them restored...
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #11

Uploaded some pics of my other VWs

Very nice Ragtop. Would love an early Bug. 67 is the oldest I've ever owned.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swhitcomb View Post

Very nice Ragtop. Would love an early Bug. 67 is the oldest I've ever owned.
This is a fantastic picture. Look how similar! I'll show it to my mechanic...big Ghia guy.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Great seeing all these VW's. Clearly I'm in good company. Meep meep!
The Boxster is in the shop right now, down in LA...not only did he give me a good deal, but he's having it tuned up, tires rotated, and fixing a small mechanical problem. Cool guy.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #14

Good deal. Enjoy it. Post some pics when it arrives.

BTW, LA is like a Meca for not only VWs, but Boxsters. I am from there, and my wife and I have been there 3 times in the last year. Never noticed how many Boxsters were on the road there until I bought one. They're everywhere.