Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
New brake rotors and pads.

While getting my new tires put on this morning I inspected the brakes rotors and they have about an 1/8" lip on the outer edge of all of them. So I started looking at brake rotors front/read and pads.

What do you guys think about this set? Drill and slotted Zinc Plated Rotors with Ceramic Pads.

Porsche Boxster s Iron 00 08 Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads Front Rear | eBay

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

i have the same set up but for the S and they have been great so far . installed about 8 months ago . very good value .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
i have the same set up but for the S and they have been great so far . installed about 8 months ago . very good value .
This set is for the S model.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

Garage
I think the price is good, but don't know the brand. I use Zimmerman rotors if I can get them reasonably and meyle if not. been happy with both and I really like ceramic pads.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

I dont know this seller

But I purchased a set something like this for my E36 years ago and they were complete junk. I would up purchasing "Quiet Cast" rotors from Advance Auto . These are made by Bosch and they were great. About 100 bucks per wheel......at least you know what you are getting
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Garage
I'd stick with OEM. Don't want to cheap out on brakes or tires. Bought ATE coated rotors and ceramic pads for my S and love them. I think the pads were Akebono. The coated rotors are a flat silver/gray and look great with the 18" wheels. Plus they don't rust. Just my $.02 worth.
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
But I purchased a set something like this for my E36 years ago and they were complete junk. I would up purchasing "Quiet Cast" rotors from Advance Auto . These are made by Bosch and they were great. About 100 bucks per wheel......at least you know what you are getting
I searched Advance Auto for rotors and they had nothing made by Bosch listed for a 2003 Boxster S.

I wouldn't want to judge parts from now days to parts bought years ago.

These guys specialize in brakes, rotors and brakes are the only thing they sell. They are not a seller that sells anything from a cigaret lighter to brakes.

Last edited by KRAM36; 12-26-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
I'd stick with OEM. Don't want to cheap out on brakes or tires. Bought ATE coated rotors and ceramic pads for my S and love them. I think the pads were Akebono. The coated rotors are a flat silver/gray and look great with the 18" wheels. Plus they don't rust. Just my $.02 worth.
ATE are OEM rotors? I Looked at Pelican and the ATE rotors are the cheapest rotors you can buy from them.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Garage
And your point is?
I've used ATE on my Audi S8, Boxster S, numerous BMWs, Range Rovers etc and have never had any issues. But, it's your car. Get the no name zinc rotors if that's what you want.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
And your point is?
I've used ATE on my Audi S8, Boxster S, numerous BMWs, Range Rovers etc and have never had any issues. But, it's your car. Get the no name zinc rotors if that's what you want.
I just figured since they were the cheapest at Pelican, they weren't that great.

It's not like I didn't take your word on them. I did add them to cart to see the price of buying the ATE rotors.

Last edited by KRAM36; 12-26-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I searched Advance Auto for rotors and they had nothing made by Bosch listed for a 2003 Boxster S.

I wouldn't want to judge parts from now days to parts bought years ago.

These guys specialize in brakes, rotors and brakes are the only thing they sell. They are not a seller that sells anything from a cigaret lighter to brakes.
Amazon has them

Amazon.com: Bosch 42011136 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

Advance doesn't build anything, neither does most anyone else.....they just sell them. Bosch is an old name for some time. I used these on my E36 and my 01S....good results
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Amazon has them

Amazon.com: Bosch 42011136 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

Advance doesn't build anything, neither does most anyone else.....they just sell them. Bosch is an old name for some time. I used these on my E36 and my 01S....good results
Those are nice. Found them cheaper at O'reilly auto parts.

Brake Drums &amp Rotors - 2003 Porsche Boxster | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I want to stay with the same brand front and rear. So I went looking for the rear rotors and they are not drilled. but they sure are cheap in price.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-42011148-QuietCast-Premium-Brake/dp/B00AHJJY88
Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #13

Garage
No worries. The other day I was driving on a back road at about 100 mph when a deer (10 pt buck) decided he wanted to cross in front of me. Car stopped on a dime. No collision. Was it the rotors, pads, tires, or divine intervention? I don't know, but I know I stopped and didn't have to change my boxers!