Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
leave the flat-6 in the 911 series and put the inline 4 in the box/cayman. sound move - same as the 924/944/968 and the 914 before it. want a 6 cyl roadster? get a 911 cabrio..
great but only problem is that engine is in the wrong place (deal-breaker), car is too long and not everyone cares for the bathtub with a big butt look.

p.s.
The more power is put into the Boxster, the more it becomes apparent that the car with the lowest COG, mid-engine, shortest wheel base and lightest weight is the one with the most potential. Put the same engine in Cayman, Boxster, Carrera, Cab and the Boxster will come out on top for handling, lap time and presumably the most fun.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-24-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
great but only problem is that engine is in the wrong place (deal-breaker), car is too long and not everyone cares for the bathtub with a big butt look.

p.s.
The more power is put into the Boxster, the more it becomes apparent that the car with the lowest COG, mid-engine, shortest wheel base and lightest weight is the one with the most potential. Put the same engine in Cayman, Boxster, Carrera, Cab and the Boxster will come out on top for handling, lap time and presumably the most fun.

I agree, we simply want a mid engine flat 6. The horse power wars don't even matter to me, give me a NA 6 with 200 to 300 and keep it light weight and torquey and I'm happy, 400 hp is great but that's too much to use on the road. The 986 S is too much for most roads, we don't always need more HP.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! However all this restructuring of the line up could just be making way for a 100k or so flat 8 mid engine car, likely same platform as the next R8.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^ a.k.a. cut costs, increase margin.

4 banger turbo will be just another VW Cabriolet.
Turbo is not for everyone, they should never make it the default.
Agreed. Even if the turbo 4 has more power, it couldn't possibly replace the sound, broad power band, and glass smoothness of the 6.