Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #21

One more thing...

I don't think there are too many states that allow you to drive with a concealed weapon in your vehicle....Texas may be one....But if officer friendly pulls me over for speeding and finds a gun inside, I'm screwed......I don't think I want that on my record!

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
Wow......I can't believe so many people would consider putting their car before their own life! The Boxster is a nice car, but if I was confronted with a gun to the head and somebody wants my car, I say let them take it....the car is replaceable, but my life isn't....Live to drive another day....
Hi,

You're absolutely correct. The Car means nothing! Save Yourself at all costs, but not through confrontation - it's not your thing, but it is their's.

A lot of Drugstore Cowboys take a few MA classes at the local Strip Mall and think they're Chuck friggin' Norris. But most would fold like a cheap suit if a real confrontation ever came up. You'll never know 'til you're in that situation and that's no place to find out you're not as Bad as you thought you were.

And think about how you will live with it should you ever actually kill or maim someone with a weapon. And for what? A Car? No matter how you try to justify it, I guarantee you'll wish the encounter had been avoided. The best weapon to carry is a cell phone with 911 in the speed dial!

As mentioned, don't visit that part of town, or maybe, your geographic location just isn't conducive to owning a High-end, Flashy, Sports Car... especially if it makes you fearful - is that why you bought a Porsche? Something to think about...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
Wow......I can't believe so many people would consider putting their car before their own life! The Boxster is a nice car, but if I was confronted with a gun to the head and somebody wants my car, I say let them take it....the car is replaceable, but my life isn't....Live to drive another day....
Yeah, tell me about it, I was mugged once in the Bronx by two guys bigger then me and they put a sharp pick to my throat and wanted my necklace. I let them take it of course, but what really irks me is when I mention it to someone and they say something like, "I would've kicked their @ss" or "I'd never let them take it." Puh-leeze!

With that said, if you are in a car and as long as someone does not have a gun in your face, driving away or having a self-defense weapon isn't such a bad idea.
Zerostatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Just curious, why was it impotant to point out that the folks in the Escalade were "darker color MINORIES"?

Thanks,

ddb
Umm.. because that's what happened? Why do you think this fact should be ignored?

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:08 AM   #25

Cleveland is similar to Pittsburgh..Fortunately I live in the suburbs, but am always cognizant of what part of town I am in...haven't felt the need to protect myself, but I do stay away from certain areas...esp. in a porsche..that is when its time to pull out the daily driver-my chevy truck...
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:09 AM   #26

by the way, it is legal in ohio to know carry a gun with permit, but that doesn't appeal to me at all.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:25 AM   #27

Wink

In martial arts class, we asked our nth degreed instructor the best way to defend against a knife, and I'll never forget his response,"First rotate 180 degrees, then put one foot in front of the other in rapid succession." Obviously, the first thing is to avoid confrontation. As pointed out by DBTH, try to always be aware of your potential for an evasive maneuver. When you pull up to a stop, leave distance between you and the car ahead, try to be on an outside lane. As for pepper spray, if these guys are confronting you, what do you think the odds are of them having a gun--duh, 99.9999%. Good luck with your pepper spray. Even if you have a gun, it is only a last resort--your gun against their 3 guns is bad odds, and to some of these guys, getting shot is just a rite of passage. Never get out of the car, no matter what they've done to it. Get outta Dodge (not outta the Porsche).

Last edited by mquillen; 03-26-2006 at 04:34 AM.
mquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:29 AM   #28
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Umm.. because that's what happened? Why do you think this fact should be ignored?

Jack

Hello Jack,

Thanks for your response. I didn't say anything should be ignored. I just asked why it was important to include the "darker colored minorities" description. I think it is a legitimate question.

If you read the thread, several people describe situations where they felt nervous, threatened, or worse. I just find it interesting that not one of these posts included any descriptions of color. So, I wondered why the poster felt he needed to add this to his post.

In addition to my original question, I guess I could have asked the other posters why they didn't feel it necessary to include descriptions of color in their posts.

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:49 AM   #29

You have a wise MA instructor. Many are not that smart and would advise you to fight back first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquillen
In martial arts class, we asked our nth degreed instructor the best way to defend against a knife, and I'll never forget his response,"First rotate 180 degrees, then put one foot in front of the other in rapid succession." Obviously, the first thing is to avoid confrontation. As pointed out by DBTH, try to always be aware of your potential for an evasive maneuver. When you pull up to a stop, leave distance between you and the car ahead, try to be on an outside lane. As for pepper spray, if these guys are confronting you, what do you think the odds are of them having a gun--duh, 99.9999%. Good luck with your pepper spray. Even if you have a gun, it is only a last resort--your gun against their 3 guns is bad odds, and to some of these guys, getting shot is just a rite of passage. Never get out of the car, no matter what they've done to it. Get outta Dodge (not outta the Porsche).

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:51 AM   #30

Talking

I'd suggest there is no cheese down this particular tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Hello Jack,

Thanks for your response. I didn't say anything should be ignored. I just asked why it was important to include the "darker colored minorities" description. I think it is a legitimate question.

If you read the thread, several people describe situations where they felt nervous, threatened, or worse. I just find it interesting that not one of these posts included any descriptions of color. So, I wondered why the poster felt he needed to add this to his post.

In addition to my original question, I guess I could have asked the other posters why they didn't feel it necessary to include descriptions of color in their posts.

Thanks,

ddb

Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I'd suggest there is no cheese down this particular tunnel.
Hi,

Agreed. Let's not turn this into a Liberal SoapBox on the Socio-Economic inequities of Inner-City populations.

In many major inner cities, the minority population approaches 70%. The fact that most inner city arrests involve minorities is not Racial Profiling, it's simply the Law of Averages.

The simple truth is that I'm not too worried about having my Porsche jacked by some Socio-Economically mobile MBA. They're much smarter than to rob one person at a time - they look for economy of scale and rape the economy and corporations (and consequently citizens and shareholders) for millions in one stroke ala Ken Lay.

I'm worried about the guy who wants to jack my Porche and trade it in on a $100 piece of Rock!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #32

"I'm worried about the guy who wants to jack my Porche and trade it in on a $100 piece of Rock!..."

The consulting firm of Smith and Wesson can provide professional help for a modest cost. However, you must our training course and of course, be licensed in the state of your choice.

www.smithandwesson.com

Old 03-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #33

perspective

Perspective is a funny thing. I happen to be a “darker colored minority”, and I laughed when I saw the post. I don’t blame anyone for fearing for their safety in less that ideal situations, because fear is what keeps us alive. I am in the nuclear industry, and most nuclear facilities are located in rural southern and mid-western areas. Being from a major metro area in the north-east, I get the same uneasy feeling when driving top down on the beautiful country back roads of the south (for which the Boxster was made) that some of you get when driving the urban areas across the country. My fear, which is that a jealous, uneducated, lowlife (often of the mountain or backwoods bred lighter majority) will look at me and either have a problem with me being in a Porsche, with me being in their neck of the woods, or both.

Like anyone with common sense, I always attempt avoid confrontation, and like many of you, I keep a couple of close friends with me at all times. Mr. Carl Walther is always on my hip and Mr. Gaston Glock is usually on the passenger’s seat whenever I take Mr. Ferry P. out for a drive.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #34

Aother important point made earlier was the false confidence that MA and MMA instill in participants and students. I studied under a champion (why is it that all instructors are champions?) instructor until I was 12. I quit when I saw my uncle, who was 19 at the time, beat the snot out of my champion instructor. This was not a controlled or sanction match, but a fight in the parking lot. My uncle broke the instructor's arm, nose and a rib. I'll concede that my uncle was a nationally competitive (jr. olympics) high school wrestler and had spent some time on the wrong side of town, "honing his skills". However, I had seen my instructor win tournies and other competitions, so I lost a lot of confidence in American instructional combatives and MAs when I saw him go down like that.

I know that there are many factors that determine the outcome, and this may have been an issue of dumb luck, a bad day or fatigue. But, after I saw that, I realized that most MA training is controlled and it will not prepare someone for a real, uncontrolled street fight. It simply provides enough confidence to stand and take a beating instead of backing down and running.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #35

Let me just add that although I am usually armed (legally) my first reaction is ALWAYS to look for a way out of the situation. The protection I carry is an absolute last course of action.

Also, as to the question of where you can and can't carry a weapon in the car you can check out http://www.packing.org. With my Florida Permit I can legally carry a concealed weapon in almost 25 other states.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #36

I love Texas

You just have to hand any officer your concealed weapons license when you hand over your drivers license.
binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #37
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
[QUOTE=mtch] Being from a major metro area in the north-east, I get the same uneasy feeling when driving top down on the beautiful country back roads of the south (for which the Boxster was made) that some of you get when driving the urban areas across the country. QUOTE]

mtch,

I too have experienced the same uneasy feelings while driving my Boxster top-down on similar roads. Unfortunately idiots exist everywhere.

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #38

Smile

Regarding tournament karate!

"Boards don't hit back!"

Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury1
Have any of you had any scary experiences?
Not yet, but I do share your feeling with feeling uneasy driving around town with the top down, in the moutains or the coast, it's all diff!!!

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtch
Perspective is a funny thing. I happen to be a “darker colored minority”, and I laughed when I saw the post. I don’t blame anyone for fearing for their safety in less that ideal situations, because fear is what keeps us alive. I am in the nuclear industry, and most nuclear facilities are located in rural southern and mid-western areas. Being from a major metro area in the north-east, I get the same uneasy feeling when driving top down on the beautiful country back roads of the south (for which the Boxster was made) that some of you get when driving the urban areas across the country. My fear, which is that a jealous, uneducated, lowlife (often of the mountain or backwoods bred lighter majority) will look at me and either have a problem with me being in a Porsche, with me being in their neck of the woods, or both.

Like anyone with common sense, I always attempt avoid confrontation, and like many of you, I keep a couple of close friends with me at all times. Mr. Carl Walther is always on my hip and Mr. Gaston Glock is usually on the passenger’s seat whenever I take Mr. Ferry P. out for a drive.
Uh, I am staying out of the whole race discussion. Mtch - I find your post very interesting, or disturbing maybe. You work at a nuclear facility and you can show up to to work with two handguns?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of the second ammendment, but what kind of security do you guys have at that place?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote