Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Garage
Rear Speakers

Searched and couldn't find anything on installing rear speakers in the "soft" storage compartment that I have on my car. I am thinking about something as simple as wiring two box speakers and velcroing the speakers in place. I have front and door speakers now and wondered if anyone had done something similar and how to hook up the wiring to the radio or amp in the front trunk.

Thanks

ugatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

There's a lot of threads about rear speakers. Use the search function and you will have more information than you will ever need.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
also check out Pelican Parts, they have a DIY
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

I added an under the seat sub woofer. Don't really care to make my car "bounce" but wanted deeper sound with the top down.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brjak View Post
I added an under the seat sub woofer. Don't really care to make my car "bounce" but wanted deeper sound with the top down.
what did you find that fits under the Boxster seat?

Details please!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #6

I don't mean to jack the thread but it could be helpful to you too. Honestly for rear fill you could just throw two tweeters back there and MAYBE just attach them to the front channel on the amp since they're only tweeters. Then change out the drivers in the door to fill out the rest, since bass isn't directional.

At least this way you spend the least money and you can always add more from there.

Which leads me to my question, has anyone swapped out the door speakers with minimal fabricating? What size should I be looking for?
TheSavyNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #7

I'm unsure whats under my seat. I took to a friend that owns an audio shop. Told him i wanted deeper sound. Was going to switch out speakers. He suggested under the seat sub. So i just went with it. There are plenty out there. installed I think it was approx 200$.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
I'm unsure whats under my seat. I took to a friend that owns an audio shop. Told him i wanted deeper sound. Was going to switch out speakers. He suggested under the seat sub. So i just went with it. There are plenty out there. installed I think it was approx 200$.
is it completely under the seat, or does it take up space behind the seat or the footwell?

I have been looking for something that fits completely under the seat for a while.
I found one, but it is no longer available

Could you ask your friend the brand/model number of the sub?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Garage
Searching did not answer my question

I searched but found no answer. I want to install two rear speakers in my soft storage compartment. I have the CDR210 radio/CD with dash and door speakers and a Nokia 4X40 amp.

I finally called Becker, told them what I have, and bought their rear speaker wiring harness and bought some speakers from Crutchfield. When I removed the radio (and the amp) there is no matching socket that will accept the Becker harness plug (a male plug with four connections).

I was hoping to plug that puppy in, run the wiring to the speakers and BAM, have some rear sound.

I emailed Becker today (in case anyone might be able to help on the holiday weekend) and will call them Monday.

In the meantime, anyone here able to offer any assistance?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

I just switched the head unit. It was really easy. Took less then half an hour. New head unit puts out 50 watts per channel. Ran the stock speakers with the Crutchfield harness, and ran the 2 rear speakers to the rear speaker outputs on the head unit. Sounds great. My car also has the Nokia amp, and the Becker head unit.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #11

Garage
Got it done.

I had some speaker wire from a previous project and bought some slip-on connectors at Radio Shack that attached to the 4 pins in the back of the radio for rear speakers. The "gagme" Boxster speaker hack suggested that. I connected the rear speakers via the schematic in the radio manual.

I ran the wires under the console, behind the driver seat an up to the soft compartment in a black slip-on wire loom. Connected the wiring to the 4X6 speakers. They fit snug and are angled to the front.

They sound really great. I just need to tidy up the inside of the soft compartment a little and fab up a black mesh so I can unzip the storage compartment and not mute the speakers, which is slightly noticeable when it's zipped.

Total price tag was $45. I'm happy!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Please let us know what type / model of sub you have under your seat. I looked under the seat and didn't think there was enough room for anything. I have a pioneer sub behind the passenger seat but it takes away about 4 inches of travel which can be a problem for a taller person. Also provides a back massage when you turn it up .

Would much prefer to have something that I can put out of the way.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSavyNeal View Post
I don't mean to jack the thread but it could be helpful to you too. Honestly for rear fill you could just throw two tweeters back there and MAYBE just attach them to the front channel on the amp since they're only tweeters. Then change out the drivers in the door to fill out the rest, since bass isn't directional.

At least this way you spend the least money and you can always add more from there.

Which leads me to my question, has anyone swapped out the door speakers with minimal fabricating? What size should I be looking for?
I did what this guy suggested, and it worked great. The speakers I got plugged right into the existing connectors. I think they were Pioneer.

joejitsumd

Found 6.5 speakers that fit door without mods
I just wanted to let you guys know I found out that the Pioneer TS-A1675R coaxial speakers will fit the OEM door bezel that houses the door speakers. I'm not sure if this is common in 6.5 speakers or not, but these speakers have 5.25 sized mounting holes drilled in the ring in addition to the 6.5 mounts. I put them in (I have an alpine amp with no crossover driving them) and it was a very big improvement. I did not have to make a new mounting bezel or modify my existing bezel at all. The speakers were on sale at best buy for $59 for the pair but can be found online for $40 for the set. It's crazy how so little cost can be involved with a big improvement.