986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   hicks and their pick up trucks (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54785-hicks-their-pick-up-trucks.html)

dbansal 11-13-2014 08:12 AM

hicks and their pick up trucks

just wanted to rant a bit about "hicks and their pick ups"... I was out in oklahoma the other day and man, these pick up drivers! I had to rent a a small Kia while I was out there for business. These pick up truck drivers out there don't give a rat's ass! Jumping curvbs on the high way, cutting people off, just ridiculous.

I live out in the burbs and NJ, and do get the occasional a-hole pick up driver as well....

What gives? SUV drivers are not as bad in my opinion... but these pick up truck drivers man do I hate them...

</rant over>

particlewave 11-13-2014 08:21 AM

NSFW

Funny, I just posted this on facepagespace last night:
The Scoop News: Truck Nuts Replacing Rainbow Flag in Gay Community

It's been my experience that the type of guy that chooses to buy, modify and drive a pick up truck is usually insecure and feels the need to show the world just how tough and manly they are constantly.

RedTele58 11-13-2014 08:46 AM

Yup. I get to deal with Okie and Texas pick-up drivers every day. I think their IQ and the size of their penuus are directly inverted to the size of their truck. They don't look where they are going, drive too fast and think they own the road. I routinely get them trying to drag race me off the traffic light when I'm in my 986 or 996. I'm a pretty defensive driver around Okie truck drivers.

Every once in awhile Darwinism rules and you'll see one upside down on the side of the road. I just chuckle and drive on past. I take my victories how I can get them.

And for the record, I also drive a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy truck - and the knotheads drive the same way around me when I'm in my truck.

Rick

Phil C 11-13-2014 09:06 AM

Truck Nuts....now there's a statement!

tommy583 11-13-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 424968)
NSFW

Funny, I just posted this on facepagespace last night:
The Scoop News: Truck Nuts Replacing Rainbow Flag in Gay Community

It's been my experience that the type of guy that chooses to buy, modify and drive a pick up truck is usually insecure and feels the need to show the world just how tough and manly they are constantly.

LMAO that is the funniest thing I have seen in a while!! Thanks for the share Man :cheers:

gomarlins3 11-13-2014 09:38 AM

I had a lifted 44 pull up next to me doing the spred limit then jump on the throttle a poor black smoke into my car as I had the top down, enjoying the drive.

Perfectlap 11-13-2014 10:13 AM

If you ever line up behind one of these guys maintain a two car distance!

I had one decide to put the car in reverse when I was directly behind him and he didn't bother to check his rear view. I had to lay on my horn as soon as I saw his reverse lights.
Then I had to quickly, lickety split quick, put my car in reverse to avoid having my car totaled.
He still dented my front bumper and cracked one of my headlights.
I thought I smelled beer. when I called the cops it turned out he was an off duty cop and they didn't press for a sobriety test....

Giller 11-13-2014 11:03 AM

Must be different in the south? Up here, we have a ton of pickups in rural Ontario and by and large, no issues. Really comes down to the drivers and while there are lots of young'uns with big trucks and small brains, those drivers are equally as plentiful in their Honda's and such. A crappy, rude driver is a crappy, rude driver no matter what he drives. There are lots of jerks out there driving Porsche's too.
To generalize that all pickup drivers are jerks is just wrong and not supported by any facts.

particlewave 11-13-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 424988)
Must be different in the south? Up here, we have a ton of pickups in rural Ontario and by and large, no issues. Really comes down to the drivers and while there are lots of young'uns with big trucks and small brains, those drivers are equally as plentiful in their Honda's and such. A crappy, rude driver is a crappy, rude driver no matter what he drives. There are lots of jerks out there driving Porsche's too.
To generalize that all pickup drivers are jerks is just wrong and not supported by any facts.

Try living in Midwest USA :D
It's diesels more than unleaded pickups. Some really seem to go out of the way to start trouble.

Google "rolling coal". Its a thing out here to purposely spew the black soot on nice cars, joggers, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAhfThNoco

BYprodriver 11-13-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 424988)

When the truck is lifted high enough to be above legal bumper heights, & wheel & tire size are doubled with no increase in stock braking capability. It is cause for concern when they start tailgating you. This happens alot here in "Surf City" & in the desert communitys. :chicken:

BIGJake111 11-13-2014 12:21 PM

hicks and their pick up trucks

Oh now this area is my expertise, what's better than a hick In a truck, a southern hick in a truck, what's even better than that, a southern teenage hick in a truck, and even better a jealous southern teenage hick in a truck, now you're talking business.

(Just as a disclaimer, if the cayanne didn't exist I could see myself owning a nice f150 any day, the main subject matter here is lifted non stock trucks.)

SeanZ4 11-13-2014 01:38 PM

I agree, it depends on the driver. I've driven F150's for over 25 years and I don't consider myself a redneck. I've also always had a German car of some sort or another. True Story: The other day I saw a Volvo sedan full of teenage boys. They had a huge confederate flag on the antenna, bending it clear over as they flew down the street…. Hilarious!

Joe B 11-13-2014 01:50 PM

Definitely must be a geographic/demographic thing. We have lots of pickup trucks here, and the vast majority of drivers are courteous. I have a Ford F-250 diesel with 235,000 miles on the odometer and I drive it a hell of a lot more conservatively than my Boxster :p!

Fintro11 11-13-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomarlins3 (Post 424980)
I had a lifted 44 pull up next to me doing the spred limit then jump on the throttle a poor black smoke into my car as I had the top down, enjoying the drive.

God help the poor soul if anybody ever tried to roll coal me with the top down ......

rick3000 11-13-2014 04:10 PM

I have only encountered this kind of thing once, and it was tame compared to some of these stories. Some teenagers in a truck wanted to race me on a freeway on-ramp from a metered light. (They lost.)

I have seen the 'rolling coal' thing, but it wasn't directed at me. Besides the 'fact' that trucks tend to back into Boxsters more than any other car, most of them are just like any other driver. I have noticed fewer and fewer trucks and large SUV's on the West Coast over the last several years.

gomarlins3 11-13-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 424990)
Google "rolling coal". Its a thing out here to purposely spew the black soot on nice cars, joggers, etc.

That's what he did to me. Idiot had his business name for his license plate. I called him later.

Retroman1969 11-13-2014 05:40 PM

I've lived in OK for 45 years, drive 3,000 miles a month, and I have yet to run across one single intelligent, courteous, sensible pickup driver.
Sure, there are jerks driving many kinds of cars, but pickup drivers seem to be a complete, dedicated, balls-to-the-wall, CULT of single-digit-IQ inbred ****************************s.
Ones passing through with Texas plates, or Kansas plates, etc, act just as badly, so maybe it is a southern/Midwestern thing. I haven't been to Canada so I have no frame of reference.
To be fair, I vaguely recall, years ago, that elderly farmers in pickups seemed to be halfway polite and sensible, but I guess they're all gone now.

particlewave 11-13-2014 05:46 PM

I would have loved to hear that phone call. :D

I had someone attempt to do that to me on the freeway in Kansas City, but I had just watched a video on it, so I knew what was coming.

Typical big truck riding my bumper, he passes (4 lanes each way) and gets in front of me, then slows down. I had already dropped it into 3rd at 50 and as soon as I felt the moment was right, I let the clutch out and dropped the hammer. :)
Passed him just as the soot was starting to come out and saw a big cloud in my rear view. I proceeded to get in front of him, slow down to 50 (70 zone), and not let him pass again. He was sooooo pissed! :D
Shaking his fist, giving me the finger, yelling...all the while I'm laughing my a** off and smiling at him in the rear view.

Sorry for the bad grammar and irresponsible behaviour.
Jake: don't drive that way! Do as I say, not as I do!

Jake Raby 11-13-2014 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this count as a pick up... It was my daily driver today, and a lot of days. Makes just over 1100# of torque and hauls 5 tons of payload, will flat tow 44,000 pounds. Yes, I need that, never know when living in the country means you need to rip a tree out of the ground, or tear an old barn down.

I also own a GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax Diesel and Allison tranny..

Some of us have property and other tasks than just our jobs, and a pick up truck is just another tool. **Some** Porsche drivers are jerks too, don't stereotype pick up truck drivers unless you are open to having the tables turned.

That said, the pick up drivers with 4X4s that have big rims and low profile mud grips are the problem children. A low profile offered tire makes no sense to me, those guys are usually the posers of the crowd :-)

Deserion 11-13-2014 06:56 PM

I only stereotype brodozers. ;) Which generally includes the illegal-lift-plus-drop-in-HIDs crowd.