Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

Garage
control arm question

does anyone have any experience with these? Thinking about refreshing my suspension and researching what options are available. I don't race the car just looking for street improvements. I currently have bilstein HD shocks and H&R lowering springs, an M030 rear sway bar and tarret drop links for the rear and 26mm front sway bar. None of this has been installed yet just collecting the goodies for the winter.

Porsche 986 987 Boxster 97-10 Front Adjustable Tension Rod Rods Tension Arms

Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

Bump. TRW supply is all dried up...
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Just ordered the Topspeed ones so guess I'll be the guinea pig.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

I had them on my car for 3 years. Worked great.

They can be noisy though and contributed to my overall suspension rattle/squeak/creak issues. They're not rubber or poly bushing based. They have a steel ball in its place.

Plus, they are quite a bit heavier than the standard aluminum units from Porsche. The ones for the rear are just as heavy if not heavier.

OP: In my opinion, the only reason you'd buy these is if you put coilovers on the car and dropped it an inch or more and you needed an adjustable toe arm to get the front wheels into alignment. You'd do all this to make it a better track car... once again, my opinion. Our cars handle great with the stock suspension setup.

The more adjustable race type suspension stuff you put on your car the more it will diminish ride comfort and increase noises of various sorts and from other places aside from your suspension.

The entire reason I abandoned my coilovers and adjustable toe arms was the harsh ride and the way it made my car rattle like a handful of bolts and nuts in the back of a pickup truck driving down a dirt road. Not pleasant for the street.

IMO, keeping the suspension stock and using Porsche parts makes a lot of sense. I've fiddled around with aftermarket parts for a number of years and have been disappointed in the quality, durability, and performance of aftermarket stuff. The only exception would be the Tarrett drop links you mentioned. For some reason the factory ones crap out so quickly that I think this is a solid move on your part.

Now do I think Porsche factory suspension parts have quality rubber bushings? Nope. It's just quieter and lighter than the other stuff.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-17-2015 at 12:09 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback.
I doubt they will be any noisier than my clapped out stock ones.
I would have preferred to go the stock style with TRW but they are sold out everywhere and wifey wants it done, so will give them a go. If noisy in a couple of years, I'll get some TRW, they should be back in stock by then.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 AM   #6

Garage
Randall, Thank You! I am planning on putting Bilstein HD's and lowering springs on my car along with the tarret drop links and hd swaybars. based on your comment I will use the stock trailing arms and what not.