Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Dallas, TX - PPI

Hey Guys,

Would any of you that live in the Dallas area be able to recommend a good place to get a PPI done on an older used P-car?

This happens to be a 944 Turbo that I'd like to add to the garage.

Car is located in Garland area, and the owner has offered to drive it to my choice for place of inspection.

TIA -

ATX_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #2

Garage
Either Zim's in Bedford or Mayo Performance Specialties in Euless. I have also heard good things about RAC Performance in Carrollton. Since you say older, I would go with either of the first two. They have been around forever.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

I have used Zims via long distance in the past. They were very accommodating, had no problem with me paying long distance, did a complete review of their findings and answered all my questions over the phone. They followed up with a written report via email.

Mike
ammonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_Boxster View Post
Hey Guys,

Would any of you that live in the Dallas area be able to recommend a good place to get a PPI done on an older used P-car?

This happens to be a 944 Turbo that I'd like to add to the garage.

Car is located in Garland area, and the owner has offered to drive it to my choice for place of inspection.

TIA -

I would seriously consider paying the extra few $$ for a compression and leak down test.

Not that hard on the 944's and it can give you some good info on the health of the engine.

If they can take vacuum measurements -- that's also a good thing to know.

Not deal killers -- but I'd want to see how brittle the Crank Position connectors are
as well as get a good look at the small hose on the fuel rail that goes from the either the pressure regulator to rail or the baffle to rail (I can't remember which one).
Heck -- just plan on replacing that anyways.

I'd want to know if the clutch has been done. The old 944's had a rubber puck in the clutch -- if that car has been sitting for awhile -- that can dry rot. Not sure if there
is an easy way to inspect it -- but a new clutch is a lot of shop hours (15?).

They should also inspect the rear CV boots, power steering boots, wheel bearings for play and ball joints.

Motor mounts are also something that will wear out if just sitting.

Good luck with the purchase.

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote