Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #1

PNP Rear Speaker Kit for a 2001

I'm in the middle of installing the PNP rear speaker kit, getting ready to wire it up. The instructions reference running the wires to the back of the head unit and connecting the rear speakers there. However, I have a HEAS 4 x 40 amplifier under the hood, with speakers in the dash and doors. I have no fade effect when operating the fader on the head unit (yet). Most car audio systems I have played with run the speakers form the head unit to the amp to the speakers. Do the Germans run from the head unit to the amp, back to the head unit and then to the speakers, or are the rear speakers just not run through the amp??

If I do as the instructions say, will that work for my set up??

Thanks, Mark

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #2

You did not specify if you have a factory head unit.

If so, you will plug in the PNP into the back of the head unit as it does the back and forth from the amp that you described.

One more trick... don't go through all the work to wire it along the cubby by the threshold. That's a pain the butt I avoided with the following...

Just run the wiring behind the carpet that sits against the back seat of the passenger side and tuck it under the passenger side of the center console up to the dash. I did this and it took a whole 3 minutes and never drops into sight, nor does it get in the way of anything like your shifter or ebrake. It's also an hour faster than the way those instructions tell you to do it.

PS - I get to New Braunfels 3x a year. You should PM me with your phone number so we can meet up and I can follow you around some twisty back roads! I love that area of Texas... lots of fun places to drive if you know where to go.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #3

I bought the PNP rear speaker kit and their amp kit. I haven't completed the wiring, but the instructions that came with my amp clearly state to connect the rear speaker box to the AMP and NOT the Becker head unit.

docdyh
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #4

My PNP kit had no amp kit... I just had a brown connector on the end of the speakers that was to be plugged into the head unit.

I didn't even know they had an amp kit. Sorry about that.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #5

PNP Speakers

I'm in Randall's situation. I did not purchase the PNP amp, just the speaker kit. It comes with the brown plug that you carefully allign the wires to match the head unit configuration. The instructions specifically state to pull the OEM head unit and use the brown plug to match the back of the head unit. The OEM amp is what I'm unsure of..................does it send 40 watts to each dash speaker and 40 watts to each door??? Or does it do something else?? Ovreall it is not that impressive of a system (OEM), but when has a stock audio system been stellar??

After all, the real music comes right from behind the seats anyway!!!!
What a machine!

Mark
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #6

Mark, I believe the factory amp provides 40 watts per channel peak.

My brown plug went in without any pin changes whatsoever.

Do remember to get your radio code handy should you need to remove any of the other plugs from the back of the radio whilst plugging in the brown one!

You're right though. I often turn off the stereo just to listen to the motor wind up. Wife can't understand why I love the sound of the motor so much, so I will often break out into song, singing old TV show tunes such as those from Gilligan's Island or Green Acres.

This quickly (I mean QUICKLY) brings her to fully appreciate the sound of the engine alone and we can go a full half hour with the radio off if I agree not to sing any longer.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #7

yes, the brown plug goes directly into the head unit..see attachments for PNP amp kit.....
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #8

In your Installed pic....................I already have the amp there................I believe it is stock as it has a sticker on it that reads "HAES 40 x 4". I have not pulled it all the way out yet to see if there are any available plug slots for the rear speakers, Just poked around it.

Mark
Old 03-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #9

Sorry Mark,

I misunderstood you. I would think it would be a similar setup, but maybe someone here can clarify.

docdyh
Old 03-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #10

PNP Rear Speaker Install Disapointing.........

Randall, you are the man!!!!! Right on with the alternate path for the speaker wire run. By running it down the center console, you avoid at least an hour of misery trying to get in the side channel. I tried to follow the PNP instructions but got discouraged and took your recomodations.

As for th amp issue.......The brown plug is connected to the back of the head unit and it fades well. However the sound produced is very weak and just kind of "fills in" background with the top up. Top down....................not a worthwhile $200.00 investment in my opinion. There is a huge difference between the stock dash and door speaker volume and quality in relation to the rears. I may try to add an additional amp for the rear speakers, but how good are four 3.5" 2 ways going to sound anyway??

Fun litle project....but casn't say I'd do it again. What else could I spend $200.00 on?????????

Mark
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #11

Mark, I noticed that I had to REALLY move the fader to the rear and crank it up when the top was down, and then it sounded fine.

Now if you want to take it a little further and get excellent sound out of those rear speakers, and swear you have swapped the factory amp and front and door speakers, have a professional install a $225 Alpine head unit and have them use the pre-amp outs to your factory amp and then to your factory and rear speakers.

Then you'll be dialing the fader controls to the front there's so much power going to the back speakers! Moreover, the quality of the sound is a million times better than that Becker.

Downside: You lose the factory look, but that's not an issue the second you turn it on and listen to the amazing difference in the sound quality and volume you get out of the same amp and the same speakers.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #12

Mark

the amp kit i bought from PNP is a two channel amp that powers the rear speakers only..according to them it makes a dramatic difference..we will see

docdyh
Old 03-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #13

PNP Rear Speaker

Now that makes more sense!!!! The speakers sans amp are a bit weak IMHO. So your amp mounts in the front benind the spare tire?? Is wiring it a PITA?? How can I make this work better?????? Thinking........Thinking........Thinking.....

Mark
Old 03-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #14

Here are the instructions, wiring diagram, etc. for PNP aka Harvey's 2 channel amp for rear speakers. He is a pleasure to deal with and sells a great product. Takes a lot of the headache out of this very worthwhile upgrade (IMHO).
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #15

I installed the PnP rear speaker kit several months ago and was relatively pleased and disappointed at the same time. It sounded better, but I had to fade in the rear speakers more than I would've liked. I picked up the Porsche 6 channel amp and contacted Harvey at PnP and he sent me a harness and instructions that connect the rear speaker kit to the 6 channel amp. Man what a difference that made!!! Still nothing an audiophile would get excited about, but now my factory setup really rocks. It increased the bass substantially and it all looks factory. I haven't heard how his speaker kit sounds with his amp kit, but I can't imagine it being that much better than just upgrading the 4 channel amp to the 6 channel amp.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:17 AM   #16

Hey Thumper, ..I am in the process of adding the two channel amp for the rear PNP speaker kit. I would prefer to go with a 6 channel amp for the reasons that you mention, in terms of fade..what kind of 6 channel amp did you put in..thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #17

I have the amp and rear speakers as OEM equipment from Porsche, and I can say that the stereo is awesome top up or down. The rear speakers pump out the music with the amp and I can really hear it no problems. Hell other cars waiting at lights can hear my tunes pumpin when I'm sitting still. There really needs to be more bass fill but other then that it's really nice setup. I can see it not being that great without the amp tho the stock stereo is like 8watts RMS per side which is good enough but when your moving 6 speakers it's not really enough. The 40x4 rms amp makes a big difference.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
Hey Thumper, ..I am in the process of adding the two channel amp for the rear PNP speaker kit. I would prefer to go with a 6 channel amp for the reasons that you mention, in terms of fade..what kind of 6 channel amp did you put in..thanks.
I put in the factory 6 channel amps that they used in the 996's. You'll want the non-DSP (digital sound processor) amp. I believe that it is make by Nokia or Haes. I found mine on eBay.

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote