Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #1

window not lowering when opening door

Hi, on opening the door my passenger window fails to lower so on closing the door it closes with a heavy thud. I'm worried this may break the window.
Can anybody advise what the problem may be.
Many thanks

gazboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:29 AM   #2

Garage
If the window switch itself still lowers and raises the window its probably the little microswitch at the back of the lock mechanism that senses when you pull the handle up... Pelican had a great little article on it...
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Door Lock Mechanism / Boxster Door Handle - 986 / 987
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #3

If the window does not move up or down freely, or squeals and grinds while doing so...
this is what I found.
inside the door, the window regulator, or the cable that raises and lowers the window, has a small plastic plug attached to it that prevents it from
winding too far after the window has reached the end of its travel.
the problem arises when the plug actually stuffs itself through the very collar that is designed to prevent the cable from moving any further.
(probably due to holding the power window switch open while the window has reached its travel limit)
what you will have now, is a plastic plug that is jammed somewhere and preventing the cable from moving.
pull the door panel off, pull the window out, remove the regulator and if you can, free the plug. if not, buy a new one.
its a couple hours work, but not difficult, and there is a step by step instruction you can find online. I can't remember exactly where I saw it.
I was able to buy a regulator for about 150 bucks
Fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Fazer,
I'm pretty sure this is the DIY you are referring to.
Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair
Trygve has lots of neat DIY stuff here.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote