Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #1

Part no. please-rear defrost wiring harness for soft top

Just bought a GAHH top with glass window. To be installed next week. Heard you need to buy the wiring harness connector for rear defrost. Part no. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
Just bought a GAHH top with glass window. To be installed next week. Heard you need to buy the wiring harness connector for rear defrost. Part no. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Hi,

The Harness is PN# 986.612.081.01 - approx. $12.00. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #3

thanks jim!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #4

The harness should already be on the drivers side - prewired for a hardtop?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshig
Hi,

You may be correct, but it seems to me that the Harness runs to the Driver's side and then an extension harness is required to run from there to the Hard Top Defrost connector, I just cannot remember - I have no Hard Top...

Old 03-19-2006, 03:45 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshig

Behind the drivers seat is the electrical connector (covered by a flap) that the part listed above by Jim connects to. One wire from the harness connects to the contact on the glass window behind the driver. You'll need to add 2 or 3 feet of wire to the remaining wire on the harness so it will reach to the contact on the glass window on the passenger side. I'm attaching a couple of pictures. One shows the harness as it comes from Porsche and the other shows my harness after I added the extension and covered it with protective sheathing. I don't remember exactly how long of an extension I added, but it was enough to reach to the passenger side contact while allowing the wire to lay flat behind the speaker/storage box. I was concerned about the wire/connections when the top folds down, but no problems, it works great. This is how it worked on my 2000, I can't say for sure on any other year.

Good Luck,

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 03-19-2006 at 04:41 AM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #7

if this harness is for the original hardtop, why would it be 2 to 3 feet short?..if that is the case, I may not connect it to my new softtop since I don't drive in winter anyhow, but would have been nice for a misty rainy day. Porsche must have this extension for the additional length.or else how would one connect a hardtop.

anyone know for sure?

thanks...
Old 03-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
if this harness is for the original hardtop, why would it be 2 to 3 feet short?..if that is the case, I may not connect it to my new softtop since I don't drive in winter anyhow, but would have been nice for a misty rainy day. Porsche must have this extension for the additional length.or else how would one connect a hardtop.

anyone know for sure?

thanks...
Hello docdyh:

I don't have a hardtop so I'm unfamiliar with its setup. Porsche may indeed have an extension for the additional length. One scenario that would allow the harness to work with the hardtop is for both defroster connectors to be on the same side (drivers side) of the window. Remember these glass window tops aren't manufactured by Porsche. This may explain why the harness isn't plug n' play. It would be interesting to see how all of this works on a 2003 and newer soft top with a factory glass window. Someone with a 2003 or newer softtop or a hardtop please describe the setup as far as the electrical connection for the rear window defroster.

I too don't usually drive my car during the winter when the weather isn't ideal. I did on occasion get in a situation where I wished I had the defroster function. So after a long time, I finally activated the defroster function and am really glad I did.

Thanks,

ddb
Old 03-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #9

ddb,

you would think that GAHH would have taken this into consideration when they developed their top since the put the defroster strips on them..if anyone has a hardtop, let me know if the connector is indeed on the drivers side...thanks...
Old 03-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
ddb,

you would think that GAHH would have taken this into consideration when they developed their top since the put the defroster strips on them..if anyone has a hardtop, let me know if the connector is indeed on the drivers side...thanks...

docdyh,

Yea, I agree. When I bought my GAHH top I thought either the harness was already in the car or everything needed was included with the top. I was shocked when my installer called and said he had no way of making the necessary connections. I may not need it often, but I'm glad I made the effort to make the defroster functional.

ddb
Old 03-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #11

Hi,

You definitely need the extension. It comes as Part of the Hardtop kit from the dealer. If you get a secondhand Top, most likely the harness extension didn't come with it. Also for the GAHH Top same deal so you need to pick one up - very cheap as Porsche Parts go...

Old 03-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #12

hey jim,

i think we all agree that i definately need the part..it just that per ddb it will be too short to use with my GAHH top without a little modification..thanks.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #13

reply from GAHH...

"That part number: 986-612-315-00 is the one you need to get, which will work, and is not too short.
We have installed it here, and that part # works fine." per info@GAHH.com

docdyh
Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #14

hey jim...

that part no. from GAHH is listed for $160 from dealer and called a "cable loom." It assume it to just be an extension of the $12 wiring harness ??...seems a bit pricey ..GAHH did tell me that they will be manufacturing their own wiring kit within the next three months.

docdyh
Old 03-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #15

Hey Doc,

Where are you getting installed???? I will be getting mine done next month. Still going to Stoddard??? Would like to know how the install goes. I know we talked before. Good question with the Defrost nver thought about it but would be nice when the temp changes at night...

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #16

Seems my post dissappeared. BadBoyS, I am getting it installed at Clover. They were referred to me by Stoddard. I don't think Stoddard does installations at the dealership. Just ordered my wiring "cable loom" and should have the top on next week. FYI-I called Fred Baker Porsche-and they told me that they don't do any non-OEM installations and didn't recommend that I put any aftermarket top on-big surprise, huh...

docdyh
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #17

LOL ,

Freddie likes his cash to stay in house!!! Wow as you know Stoddard is the one who gave me the best price and said they were going to do it (Bring someone in) Is Clover in Eastlake? I must assume the story has changed now. I was waiting to do this at the dealer (going to have fuel filter changed and an all wheel alignment.) Maybe NOT... If you would post how it goes.. Good Luck... It will be getting warm soon (at least thats what i keep telling myself)!!!!!!!! :dance:
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #18

Yes, clover is in eastlake..they might have someone do it in house. I just asked them who did their tops and they gave me their no...so you may be able to get it done there...