Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #1

Long lived Boxster Engine Survey

I've been perusing this forum for a couple weeks now in order to educate myself before buying a 2002 or 2003 Boxster S. In light of the IMS, RMS, and other catastrophic engine failure stories that can set you back a cool $15k, as well as the scary post "Short lived Boxster Engine Survey" I thought it would be beneficial to record the good as well. This will allowme and other potential Boxster owners to weigh he bad with the good. (You'll have to forgive me if such a thread already exists. I looked. If it does I couldn't find it.)

So the purpose of this thread is to record your Boxster SUCCESS stories. Trouble free miles? Let us know. Surprisingly maintenance free? Let us know. Long term daily driver? Let us know. Only mild repairs? Let us know.
Please include S vs. base, year, mileage, climate you drive in, and driving habits. Other other information is welcomed as well (bought new, used, dealer, private; mods; track/autocross; etc.)

Laflamme02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #2

2002 2.7L bought in July 2011 with 43k miles from a wealthy owner who had the local Porsche dealer maintain it.

The car now has 83k miles (yep, I almost doubled it in 3 years) and the only non-maintenance items it's needed have been the top and the AOS. It hasn't been back to the Porsche dealer for anything as I've been able to do all the work myself. To my knowledge, it is on the original IMS bearing. The RMS was replaced by the previous owner and I have seen no leaks from it. This car has needed far less than I would have ever expected, even though I track it, autocross it, and wring it out regularly.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #3

Important to remember - one of the big reason behind these forums is to help each other so therefore, you will hear the challenges more than the happy thoughts.

I haven't had my ride long, but do have records from the PO. 2002 base with 145,000kms. A few suspension pieces have been replaced due to normal wear. Other than that, pretty much everything is original (yes, including IMS).
I expect though to have a repair or two or three every year - it is a 12 year old car that does sit for extended periods (don't want to subject it to the salt used in the winter up here). But in the summer, it gets driven a ton.

Last edited by Giller; 09-24-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #4

My 1999 Boxster Base has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, at least so far.
(had it for a couple of years...96,000 miles on it, original IMS). When I first got it, it needed a few repair-maintenance items that were neglected by the previous owner, but these turned out to be the same or cheaper than doing the same work on any modern car, Toyota, Chevy, whatever.
I'm convinced that finding a really good private Porsche shop is key to a much more pleasant ownership experience.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Check out my 100k club thread. There's a 200k club too.

139k, bought at 119k. Just starting track events. Owned 2 years now.

Would not go back or change my decision. Only thing I would do different is take the advise given here and not buy to have it today.

Every drive to my shop and back is enjoyable. Every time.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #6

Garage
This is a Jinx Post. To brag about our good fortune is to invite the Catastrophic Engine Failure Gods to rain their 'D-Chunking', 'IMSB-Meltdown' Timing Chain Stretching, Water Pump disintegration, AOS Failing curses upon us

I'm 3rd owner, bought 2 years ago at 52k miles. No previous history
I daily drove (Winter, Cold, Snow) up till last January
I'm now at 73k miles
Last spring drove 2200 miles down to Fla and back via Blue Ridge - Not a peep
Last Hwy stretch home it was getting 31 mpg.
The more I drive the better the mpg
I do the services (oil every 6 months) and any repairs.
Repairs have been minimal, Climate control display, Frt Engine mount, Fuel Pump Relay
I'm going through the front suspension - Sway bar bushing and drop links, Tie Rod inner & outers and lower control arms

She runs strong, clutch is still strong. I do have a new AOS sitting in the box ready
I would like to do preventive Water Pump, low Temp Thermo

There I did it
My next post will be Roller for sale
Old 09-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #7

Like Giller said, the purpose of most forums is to seek advise and knowledge about problems people are having. Therefore EVERY forum will be filled with "sad" stories. People usually don't join a forum to report happy successes all day long. Misery loves company and so car forums will be packed with mechanical problems. Don't get sucked in with the complaints, it's normal.
1998 base boxster 60K 2nd owner and NOT a single hiccup so far.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Bought my Boxster S almost a year ago with 41k and have been daily driving it since and now have 53k. Solid car that's been very relaible. On purchase I did address the RMS, IMS and put in a new water pump. These are items I consider to be part of regular maintanance. The only issue I've had is with the ignition lock getting sticky which I understand is common and have since replaced with an upgraded factory piece. I intend to continue to daily drive the car until I get the itch to get something else which at this point will likily be a long time as I enjoy the car alot. For the money I just don't see anything else that would tear me away. Maybe a newer Caymen S but the going price is considerablely more for something that would only be a little better.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Rennzenn

Garage
2000 Box S bought in 2006 w/60K. She's now at 171K. Original IMS and RMS. Rebuilt trans at 142K because of 2nd gear pop-out. Oil changes every 7K w/ castrol Edge 5W-40. Lots of mods, lots of autocross, dynoed @ 244RWHP.
Knock on wood, car gods please don't screw me for tempting fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Check out my 100k club thread. There's a 200k club too.

139k, bought at 119k. Just starting track events. Owned 2 years now.

Would not go back or change my decision. Only thing I would do different is take the advise given here and not buy to have it today.

Every drive to my shop and back is enjoyable. Every time.