Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

How the hell... (CPS)

I've been at this for 3 days... off the lift, on the lift, wheel off, wheel on... I finally found the actual connector for the CPS and got it disconnected and out of it's bracket. Attempted to "follow it" to the sensor side where it mounts and there's just no way!! Engineers must've taken a day off that day!

I've seen pictures online and "know" where it is, but I have yet to see a pic of it on a car with a Tip transmission. It must be different. There is absolutely NO room in there, from what I can see, to get a tool to get that sensor screw out.

Bentley calls fro removal of the rear wheel (fine), but their reference pic also shows it with the transmission apart from the engine. That SURE makes it much easier.

Is this something I should just take to the Indy and call it a day? I thought having a lift would make this type of stuff easy!!

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
I've been at this for 3 days... off the lift, on the lift, wheel off, wheel on... I finally found the actual connector for the CPS and got it disconnected and out of it's bracket. Attempted to "follow it" to the sensor side where it mounts and there's just no way!! Engineers must've taken a day off that day!

I've seen pictures online and "know" where it is, but I have yet to see a pic of it on a car with a Tip transmission. It must be different. There is absolutely NO room in there, from what I can see, to get a tool to get that sensor screw out.

Bentley calls fro removal of the rear wheel (fine), but their reference pic also shows it with the transmission apart from the engine. That SURE makes it much easier.

Is this something I should just take to the Indy and call it a day? I thought having a lift would make this type of stuff easy!!
I use a 1/4 drive ratchet handle and some long extensions through the wheel well. Not fun, but it comes out.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #3

wheel does have to come off yes?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
I would imagine along with the wheel housing plastic liner (easy to remove).

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

Garage
JFP in PA would know, he's probably done a few. A bright light also helps. I had to follow the wire into the crevice were the sensor is located with my hand. I did not do it on a TIP. It took almost every extension in the tool box. Then to make sure I did not strip the torx head on he bolt, I leaned into socket and hand my finger on the bolt head to be sure Everything was in place. I put the long 6 inch extension onto the torx bit, then a couple of three inch ones going to the rachet wrench. Once you crack the torque on the bolt it a breeze. Just dont drop the bolt, its tiny.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes...............