Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #1

VW GTi

I took a test drive today in one of the new VW GTi's with DSG. Really a nice car. DSG was very, very smooth. Handled well, good brakes, even for the track I think. 200 HP and torque about the same. And a sticker of 21,990 plus shipping. Sales manager said he has chipped his Audi 2.0 (same engine) and picked up 40 (?) hp or so for $600. It's not a bad deal. Selling my Box would get a new car with 4 year warranty.

I started down a logic path that said the GTi was a car I could track, there's no broomstick rule 'cause it's a hardtop, it has more legroom that my 6'4" body needs and plenty of room up top for a helmet. It's cheap compared to Porsche, it has no RMS issues, brake pads are affordable, aftermarket wheels are cheaper, etc. etc. etc.

Then I woke up. Driving the Boxster is a homer with bases loaded. I'm not gonna trade it for a VW, even if the GTi is a competent car that will probably sell well.

Question 1: BruceLee: Do dealers understand car enthusiasts? Do they hate us for taking test drives? I really did want to try the DSG. And if the Boxster blows up tomorrow I might actually consider a GTi. Actually the sales manager (combo VW/Audi dealer) had recently tracked the GTi as part of the pre-release familiarization, and was a very decent sort. Most of the salespersons really don't have a clue, though.

Question 2: Anybody: After owning a Porsche, do you ever go back to normal cars?

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Question 1: BruceLee: Do dealers understand car enthusiasts? Do they hate us for taking test drives?

Question 2: Anybody: After owning a Porsche, do you ever go back to normal cars?
1) Since everyone is a "Ricer" at heart (Bruce may tend to disagree to this) dealers understand car enthusiasts for the most part.

I actually test drog a Gti with the DSG tranny to see. Well it just wasn't hard core enough for me. The biggest down fall is that even in "Sport" mode, when you floored the gas pedal it would kick down a gear to bump the RPM's up......I hate that! The BMW SMG doesn't do that, so why should this one.

I love the BMW SMG....so sick.

Jim made an excellent point earlier that at the end of the day what is sitting in your garage, a Porsche or a VW?

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
1) Jim made an excellent point earlier that at the end of the day what is sitting in your garage, a Porsche or a VW?
For me it is both! Despite what alot of people think,Jettas can be fun cars for everyday use.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Hahaha....but Hey Blink, Its Sitting Outside And Look Whats In The Garage In Your Picture....
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #5

Hi,

I'm glad to see that VW brought back the GTi, and in a little better form than the last incarnation. They're very competent little Econo-Boxes.

For the Young Guy, earning a Median Income, the GTi is the perfect blend of Economy, Reliability, and Performance. The Weekend Auto-Xer/Grocery Getter/Datemobile. It allows it's Target Customer to grow in both ability and pedigree.

The thing that cracks me up about these, and virtually all Hot Hatches, is the way they become Tricycles at an Auto-X. Invariably, the Outbound Rear Wheel is always an inch or two off the Tarmac. A testament to their structural rigidity I guess...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #6

Smile

" BruceLee: Do dealers understand car enthusiasts? Do they hate us for taking test drives?"

Some do, some don't. Understand, most car salesman do not make a lot of money and are not "enthusiasts" in the sense you mean.

You ARE more likely to be understood at a Porsche dealership than say, a VW.

Frankly, I still don't understand the "ricer at heart" argument. But then again, I am over 50 so the whole 4 banger from hell movement leaves me cold.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #7

We've had three VWs in my family in recent years (the Mrs. owned a GTI when we met, I owned a '93 Corrado SLC and my folks owned a mid-90s Passat). All of them started to break down after 4-5 years; some of the problems were small annoyances, others were quite serious. Look at Consumer Reports (yeah, I know, but they do have good reliability information) and VW is consistently among the very worst for problems as the car ages. Moreover, my experience with VW dealer maintenace was paying -- gasp -- near-Porsche rates for sub-Yugo-quality service. It would take an awful lot to get me to buy another VW any time soon.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #8

I also own a VW - 2003 Beetle with about $4k in modifications to int/ext, suspesion,engine and sound system - has been an awesome car (although not terrible fast), incredibly reliable and definitely an eye-catcher.

I'll be putting it up for sale soon, though, now that I have my 987. Unfortunately, can't justify three cars in our family right now - as much as I'd love to keep the Beetle. Anyone who might be interested in a beautiful used car, let me know and I give all the details on the car.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #9

I drove an A3 with DSG and it really was nice. I have always been a big fan of VW's and Audi's. Having owned a few of them before, I really like to stick with what I know. I have really put a few of them through their pace with racing and modifications.

My 95 GTI had a 150hp direct port nitrous system on it and really held up well. I ran 40-50 bottles though that motor at a varying power levels and it never complained ever.

My current Daily Driver is a 00 Jetta VR6 and I really enjoy it. It has a few mods on it as well. I just can't leave anything alone...

I have seen but not driven the new GTi but I'm sure it's akin with the previous models being a nice sporty well rounded hot hatch. I would buy another in a heart beat really...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
bmussatti

I had a 1984 GTI in college that I bought new. It was a great car. 107,000 miles on the original clutch. It had 101 HP. Ran like a top.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #11

The GTI's are great little cars, and a fun daily driver. A GIAC ecu tune will net you about 50hp and up to 85ft/lbs of torque. I am not sure on the 06 flash, but our other VW flashes run $485. The manufacturers leave a lot of hp on the table with these newer turbo cars. I flashed an 02 Audi Allroad the other day, 80hp and 85ft/lbs of torque....in less than a half hour Install some PSS9's on top of that, and all of a sudden you have a heck of a little car.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
My current Daily Driver is a 00 Jetta VR6 and I really enjoy it. It has a few mods on it as well. I just can't leave anything alone...

I have seen but not driven the new GTi but I'm sure it's akin with the previous models being a nice sporty well rounded hot hatch. I would buy another in a heart beat really...
Are those S4 wheels? With those wheels caps I bet ALOT of people think it is an a4?
Ideally I would want the mrk 3 GTI body with the 1.8T engine. One quick stop to New Dimesions with $1 grand and you could easly run 250hp and alot stiffer suspension.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
y: After owning a Porsche, do you ever go back to normal cars?
Commute from NJ to NY every day during rush hour for a week in a Porsche (stick) and you will ask "would ever own a Porsche again?"
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #14

Wink

I have done that commute from NJ to NY and back again.

That is just SICK!

The only way to do that well is in a limo!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Hahaha....but Hey Blink, Its Sitting Outside And Look Whats In The Garage In Your Picture....

That's hilarious!

delastrodmen is offline   Reply With Quote