Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

New guy, looking to buy first Porsche!

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have been lurking and reading for a while but I decided to join up. I am looking at getting myself a boxster! I am looking for an 04+ but will most likely end up with a 99-03 due to price.

I am here to ask the question that I believe plenty of others have asked, so I apologize in advance for the repeat but would like an answer to my specific circumstance if possible.

I am wanting to get myself a sporty car that will bring the fun back to driving, something that I can get out an just truly be happy with owning. I would like something that is fuel efficient enough to be a daily driver, something that I can obtain without having to mortgage my home, and finally something that will make me happy due to excellent build quality, materials, and reliability. I can say that the 2 seat roadster seems like a great choice, but I surely don't want a miata, the corvette does not satisfy my "good fuel economy" requirement so I feel that the boxster is an excellent choice and definately "the one" for me.

I am usually very good about diving into learning everything that I can about anything that I am going to buy or partake in, so here I am, I also read everything on the sticky about wanting to buy a Porsche, but I find myself still wanting to ask you guys myself. I hope that you won't mind giving me a minute of your time.

Ok, on to the meat of the questions. I am looking to buy a boxster (obviously) from some money that I will be getting out of a settlement. I have read about the IMS issue and honestly it scares the crap out of me, however I know how forums and online sources can blow things out of proportion, I used to have a Yamaha motorcycle and according to the internet it was "notorious" for second gear going out and it wasn't a matter of if, it was when. I got that motorcycle and was very scared of the gear going out but I rode it daily and really gave it HE** but never had an issue at all, a friend of mine bought the same bike and again he was scared but never had an issue, and we're talking about 30k on a bike which is generally considered a lot. With that said, I am still nervous because a $2k trans overhaul on a bike is an entierly different beast than a $12k engine in a Porsche.

I will be honest with you guys, I am not a wealthy person, I am a motorcycle mechanic and make an OK living, but I am not wealthy. The biggest concern I have is something failing and not being able to pay for it and ending up with a beautiful yard ornament. I can handle most maintenance myself including oil changes, tune ups, etc..

My driving would be mostly to and from work about 40 miles a day, but I will absolutely have good distance joy rides in the car. My plan will be to drive occasionally through the summer with the top down, and I will drive it on rainy days, but the bulk of the driving the car will see will be winter time as my other means of transport is a motorcycle. I also want to add that I am a stickler for maintenance, I over do it on purpose because I believe that is the best way to prevent an issue.

I have thought that once I buy the car I can take it to a shop ASAP to have a new clutch, RMS, and IMS retrofit done, hopefully in the sub $2k range.

My basic questions are these, 1. Should I be as scared of the IMS issue as I am? 2. Should I plan on going to get the IMS and RMS replaced upon purchase or is it really THAT big of an issue? 3. Being that I am not a wealthy person should I just forget about buying this car? I know that things break on any and every car that has ever been made, but I am quickly seeing that cost is a lot higher on these cars. 4. When I go to buy the car other than the typical things to look for is there any way to tell if the IMS has gone or is about to?

I thank you all very much for any input on this post, I am torn and that's why I am asking all of this, I know that this is the car for me but I don't know if I am the right owner for this car, again I understand that the internet makes things look a lot worse than they are, and if I believed all the horror stories about things then there is no way that I would have purchased a Harley-Davidson! Being a mechanic I know how it really is between myth and reality but I am not as familiar with Porsche as you guys, so I respect any input you can give me, again thank you.

chiliphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum there are plenty of folks here to give you a hand. All of the 1997 - 2008 have the " potential " for an IMS failure. Obviously when purchasing used prior records from the previous owner/s is huge in trying to make a decision on the potential money pit. This forum is an excellent source of information but keep in mind you only know us as keyboard jockeys so we should NOT be the final decider for you on what to buy. Like any car manufacturer Porsche makes model changes year to year that improve the breed. So in theory a 2005 car is much better than a 1997. Most Porsche people in the know will tell you to buy the latest model year you can afford. Afford being the key word. Have a price point in mind and subtract 2,000.00 - 2,500.00 as a safety margin to perform normal maint. and have a safety cushion. Where in GA. are you located ? If you are anywhere near Atlanta then you are exposed to two dealerships and easily 4-6 independent shops that perform excellent work. Most people will tell you to drive as many as you can to get a feel for a good one vs. a dog. Once you have a car in mind spend the 200.00 - 300.00 for a PPI ( pre purchase inspection ) by one of the local shops. While not foolproof it is one step in the right direction of getting a good car. Bottom line regardless if you enlist the help of " experts " or go on your own it's a crapshoot. I've been VERY happy with the 2002 S I picked up it has been a great car. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to and we'll help as much as we can.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Welcome to the forum there are plenty of folks here to give you a hand. All of the 1997 - 2008 have the " potential " for an IMS failure. Obviously when purchasing used prior records from the previous owner/s is huge in trying to make a decision on the potential money pit. This forum is an excellent source of information but keep in mind you only know us as keyboard jockeys so we should NOT be the final decider for you on what to buy. Like any car manufacturer Porsche makes model changes year to year that improve the breed. So in theory a 2005 car is much better than a 1997. Most Porsche people in the know will tell you to buy the latest model year you can afford. Afford being the key word. Have a price point in mind and subtract 2,000.00 - 2,500.00 as a safety margin to perform normal maint. and have a safety cushion. Where in GA. are you located ? If you are anywhere near Atlanta then you are exposed to two dealerships and easily 4-6 independent shops that perform excellent work. Most people will tell you to drive as many as you can to get a feel for a good one vs. a dog. Once you have a car in mind spend the 200.00 - 300.00 for a PPI ( pre purchase inspection ) by one of the local shops. While not foolproof it is one step in the right direction of getting a good car. Bottom line regardless if you enlist the help of " experts " or go on your own it's a crapshoot. I've been VERY happy with the 2002 S I picked up it has been a great car. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to and we'll help as much as we can.
Thank you for the reply, I am about 40 miles to the south of atlanta so having access to the dealers and shops won't be an issue. I think I will go for the ppi without question, I'll just determine which car I am looking at and try to find a place close by, the current front runner on my list is in opeleika, al but there are many possible candidates around here.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Phil - I own 5 986 Boxsters and a 996, and I don't lose a minute of sleep over them. I do have a slight concern with the IMS bearing ONLY as a maintenance item. Being a mechanic, you know - a bearing will eventually wear and need replaced. (Eventually, so will everything else, so treat it as a maintenance item and don't worry.)

I have the IMS bearing replaced when the clutch is replaced. Then, I don't worry about it until the next clutch replacement, which for me, will be a long time. The only other things I keep an eye out for is the water pump and the rear main seal. Replace the RMS with the clutch and that problem is solved, and somewhere along the line replace the water pump. I think those 3 maintenance items cure 90% of the problems.

Otherwise, the only thing I tell people is to remember that these little beasts were $60k cars when they were new 15 years ago. Today that $60k is prolly about $80k. While they are only a $10k car to buy, they are a $80k car to repair. Being as you are good with a wrench, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'll let everyone else bore you with stories of getting a PPI, buying the newest car you can afford, base vs S, blah, blah, blah. Find one you like, check it out and have fun. Drive it until it wears out, then go find another. Any year, any size engine, any transmission, they are a tremendous fun car.

Rick
Old 09-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #5

most of us are not wealthy either thats why we bought the poor mans porsche
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #6

Garage
Follow your gut.
You're a mechanic, you've been around the block a few times and you know what you want. I've wanted a 986 S for a while a just bought one. Talked with the owner, it felt right and I bought it sight unseen. I absolutely love it. No ims issues, although I'll replace the bearing when the clutch gets replaced. 89,000 miles. 2002.
I've owned Alfa Romeos, Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Audis. Lots of Forums were full of naysayers and fear mongers. You pay your money, you take your chances. I'll take the German engineering risk any day.
It's a great car. Don't be afraid to own one.
Phil C. Milton Ga.
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

Quick question for you guys who said you replace the IMS with the clutch. 2 questions actually, should I go ahead and replace the bearing when I buy the car for peace of mind, or should I wait until the clutch goes or the RMS leaks and save the money for now? 2. When you do replace it, do you just install a new stock bearing or do you install an aftermarket?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

If youre a wrench, then jump right in. There ar e some smoking deals out there, just take your time. I bought my car in 2011 for $7500. The car is unbelievable, fast, motor is in great shape, ive taken it on the track and not to brag, but ive passed cars that had twice my HP.

I had to do the usual repairs, AOS, coolant tank, water pump, but if you diy, the cost is minimal.

I would make sure the paint and body and interior are good. Any problems in these areas can get very expensive quickly. Also, take a good look at the suspension. Mine is fine at 144k miles, but redoing e suspension can get real expensive real fast.

Good luck.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000

Last edited by san rensho; 09-14-2014 at 04:27 PM.
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

Garage
Keep in mind the 987 2005+ need to split the engine to deal with the imsb so more $$$
986 2004- Can change imsb with engine still in the car
Buy it drive it. I'm at 73k and clutch is still strong
So if you wait for cluch replacment it may be years of driving
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #10

Garage
I am not as long winded as the others, but I will say welcome to the forum and to answer a few of your questions, a lot of us do not have much money either, worst case scenario sell the car as a roller and you loose like 40% parts value is high on these cars. As for the ims, it does happen so do not feel invincible but the way I see it is to just drive and enjoy the car, then replace ims when it comes time for a clutch drive.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

The IMS worst case is a ~1% failure rate per car year (% depends on which of 3 IMS designs your engine has).

An IMS failure can make the engine almost impossible to repair reliably.

Replacement motors are available and range from used at ~$3-6k to rebuilt better than new at $20k+.

Your tolerance for risk, your choice when or if to do the IMS.

My 2 were wonderful cars.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
The IMS worst case is a ~1% failure rate per car year (% depends on which of 3 IMS designs your engine has).

An IMS failure can make the engine almost impossible to repair reliably.

Replacement motors are available and range from used at ~$3-6k to rebuilt better than new at $20k+.

Your tolerance for risk, your choice when or if to do the IMS.

My 2 were wonderful cars.
To that point, is it true that the first gen 04- were the best ones other than the brand new ones? I will be getting one older than 04 for sure, money and the fact that I don't want to have to deal with case splitting will keep me from getting an 05+
Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
jakesbox

I had an 02 and an 03. Personally...I would shoot for the 03. A little updated, and has the glass back window. As for IMS...did it in my 03, not my 02 and just had it done in my 04 996. I could NOT sleep knowing my 02 was not done...So, what did I do? Spent the IMS money on a fabspeed exhaust and powder pared black wheels. Soooooo much better than an IMS...lol.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

Your biggest problem is not the IMS. It's the care and maintenance the previous owner put into the car. If you don't have a lot of money then you especially need a car with low miles or a car with a long list of repairs that have already been done. Be very skeptical of cars near or over 60k miles that are sold as "needs nothing" and have only had a few minor repairs. The thing to keep in mind is that these generation of Porsches are reliable but they're not durable if they are subjected to extreme heat or cold driving. Look for cars from mild year round climates like Southern California and from an owner who was proactive about repairs and maintenance. Stay away from cars that went more than a year without an oil change. Make sure the shocks are in good order a suspension overhaul on these cars can be very costly even at an independent mechanic, $3-4k in parts alone.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #15
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I looked at a wide range of 986s before finding mine in Daytona Beach. Had the dealer send it to a local Porsche shop for a PPI, then went down to get it. Aside from a failed fuel pump (due to a clogged fuel filter in the sending unit) the car has been great. Minor repairs here and there (tension cables, frunk release actuator). Getting some preventative stuff done soon (water pump, coolant, spark plugs, etc.) since it has over 100k on it now. All in all, love it.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #16

I too was scared to buy the 83 or 84 Yamaha Venture because of the 2nd gear failure.I bought one instead and the gear went out at 25000 miles.That was 10 years ago and I still ride my84.I just rev her up in 1st the shift into 3rd and keep on trucking,that was 60000 since the failure.I have had 6 more Ventures and I will continue riding a Yamaha.With all that being said,I bought my Boxster knowing about the IMS problems but I can replace the engine if failure occurred cheaper than a bearing replace.Like others have said,put aside about 2K and enjoy the thrill of the ride.When I said I could replace the engine cheaper than the IMS bearing I know where 6 Boxster engines are ranging from $1500 to $2500 depending on mileage 40 miles from where I live.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #17

To the OP. Not to freak you out, but this was in my pan when I changed oil for the first time yesterday (very recently bought the car):

If there is one place that glitter isn't pretty, it's in your oil drain pan.

Get a really good PPI done before you put your money down for the car.

Oh, and my car runs PERFECTLY.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #18

Garage
Why did you drop the pan? Random inspection? Or did you get clues from the filter?
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #19

The image just shows the pan I drain my oil into, not the engine oil pan.

That was what I drained out of the stock oil filter.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #20

Garage
Oh...drat. Need a new clutch?? -_-

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote