Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 AM   #1

Water leak in foam lining

Hi All,
I have a '98 Boxster that I recently had to remove the carpet from to allow it to dry because of a water leak on the passenger side behind the seat. I checked by spraying it with a hose and found it coming in somewhere under the foam liner that forms the rain rail to allow water to go out the drain holes. The drain holes on this one are clear. The water drips in right at the B pillar area where the convertible top frame meets the body back there. Looks like I need to pull the top frame and repair the leak as this seems like the only way to access it. Anyone had this happen before?

Thanks,
Dave

davep84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #2

I swapped a top and frame from an 04 into my 00 Boxster. Based on that experience, it appears that the only way to access the foam liners is to remove the top and frame. Since you have already verified that the drains are clear, that sounds like your next step.

You may want to check some of the "part outs" in the classifieds to see if you can source a good set of foam liners. If the set in your car is seriously damaged, a replacement may be better than a repair.

Fortunately, it is not that difficult to remove the top and frame: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-30-2014 at 06:05 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Kevin,

That was what I needed to know. I''ll probably pull the top and frame off this afternoon and check it out.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

I pulled the convertible top frame this afternoon and was unable to find anything wrong with the foam liners on this car. I sprayed water into them with the top removed but was unable to get it to leak inside the car. The only clue I could see was some slight surface rusting where the two of the three lower top frame to body bolts go-what makes the seal here where the foam and convertible top frame bolts go?

Also, I'm assuming if water gets under the foam liner further toward the back of the car it would just go out the drain holes right?

Edit: I just found another post where a member made a piece out of rubber inner tube material to cover the area over the strut tower that's exposed. Maybe this would help.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Last edited by davep84; 09-01-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

Dave,

I'm not certain, but I think that if water gets under the foam (e.g. where the top seals against the clam shell under the rear window) it would not necessarily go to the drain holes. If it did, why would Porsche have installed the foam liners?

Here are three ideas:

1. If you have not already done so, seal or plug the drain holes at the bottom of the foam liners and check to see if the water is seeping through the side of the liner. There may not be an obvious hole, but there could be a few pinholes or worn areas that leak.

2. Check the condition of the weather strip that fits between the rear of the top and the clamshell.

3. Check the gap between the rear of the top and the clamshell when the top is up or closed. It should fit tight.

Also remember that there are drains in the front of the car too. You seem convinced that the water is coming from the rear, but you never know.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 09-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #6

Liners for the foam drain channels?

The foam in this Boxster has multiple holes. Some from damage from a broken support rod, but some others I can't explain. New or undamaged foam would help, but it occurred to me that maybe some enterprising sole has created plastic liners (sleeves) that could fit inside the foam. Anyone know if there such an item?

Thanks, Joe
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

I think you may be better off contacting a Porsche re-cycling business or someone on the forum who is parting and see what a good used set would cost.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #8

You can repair the holes with silicon or RTV. It will hold just fine and certainly by you some time while your search for new foam (if you decide to).

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote